Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
State of the 2022 Cincinnati Bengals
"How will Joe Burrow and Co. follow up Super Bowl Run?"

An article on NFL.com by Adam Rank. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/state-of-the-2022-cincinnati-bengals-how-will-joe-burrow-and-co-follow-up-super-

Some snippets.

"I was one of those who thought Joe Burrow was going to capture Super Bowl LVI as that final drive started against the Rams. But I don't mean to dwell on old stuff, because there is so much to be excited about with this Bengals team, who I think will win a second consecutive division title for the first time since 1982. Let's take a look."

"Head coach: Zac Taylor. I've repeatedly wondered over the years if we really know Taylor. Joked that it was easy to confuse him with one of the PR interns who popped up on those Zoom meetings with the media."

"One storyline ...

... people shouldn't overthink: The potential for a Ja'Marr Chase regression. Fantasy enthusiasts might point out that much of Chase's 2021 production (1,455 receiving yards, a Super Bowl-era record for a rookie) came in a handful of games, including a single-game rookie record of 266 receiving yards against Kansas City in Week 17."

https://www.nfl.com/news/state-of-the-2022-cincinnati-bengals-how-will-joe-burrow-and-co-follow-up-super-

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Pretty much nails it.

Lots of good solid facts listed as to why we should improve on offense.

On defense just a big "If they gel".

I feel that last year our talent on defense was better than their below average rankings in scoring and yards.  They improved late in the year, but it was mostly based on getting more turnovers.  And even the fans who insist that the first 13 games last year don't really count have to admit that the only reason we needed our offense to score on the last play of the game in both Chiefs games was because our defense could not hold a fourth quarter lead.  

I like our draft picks on defense but barring injury I don't see any of them playing a major role this year.  And we lost one of the best 3T's in the league in Ogunjobi.  No matter how much you like Hill he is not better than Hill and Ogunjobi.  So I see us as taking a step back in talent on the defense.  But even with the loss of Larry I still feel we have better talent than "below average".  So if we can get them to "gel" or get the coaches to figure out how to play more than one half in a game I think we could be close to top 10 on defense.

And with our offense a 10th ranked defense is plenty good enough to win a championship.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pretty much nails it.

I feel that last year our talent on defense was better than their below average rankings in scoring and yards. They improved late in the year, but it was mostly based on getting more turnovers. And even the fans who insist that the first 13 games last year don't really count have to admit that the only reason we needed our offense to score on the last play of the game in both Chiefs games was because our defense could not hold a fourth quarter lead.

I like our draft picks on defense but barring injury I don't see any of them playing a major role. And we lost one of the best 3T's in the league in Ogunjobi. No matter how much you like Hill he is not better than Hill and Ogunjobi. So I see us as taking a step back in talent on the defense. But even with the loss of Larry I still feel we have better talent than "below average". So if we can get them to "gel" or get the coaches to figure out how to play more than one half in a game I think we could be close to top 10 on defense.

And with our offense a 10th ranked defense is plenty good enough to win a championship.

LMAO that couldn’t hold a lead against the Chiefs. Neither could Buffalo the number 1 defense in the NFL. It’s the NFL. It’s Patrick Mahomes. You are too hysterical. KC only scored 3 points the second half and OT vs the Bengals. You’ve got it back asswards big boy
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
People also shouldn't overlook the possibility of Chase having an even bigger season because the defense will have to respect the run more with better blocking and Chase will have more time to let routes develop. Giving Chase time to run routes when he and Burrow have such good chemistry from college is a scary thought.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 11:39 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: People also shouldn't overlook the possibility of Chase having an even bigger season because the defense will have to respect the run more with better blocking and Chase will have more time to let routes develop. Giving Chase time to run routes when he and Burrow have such good chemistry from college is a scary thought.

Burrow could be more efficient with a higher passer rating, but have lower totals because we don't throw as much.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 10:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pretty much nails it.

I feel that last year our talent on defense was better than their below average rankings in scoring and yards.  They improved late in the year, but it was mostly based on getting more turnovers.  And even the fans who insist that the first 13 games last year don't really count have to admit that the only reason we needed our offense to score on the last play of the game in both Chiefs games was because our defense could not hold a fourth quarter lead.  

I like our draft picks on defense but barring injury I don't see any of them playing a major role this year.  And we lost one of the best 3T's in the league in Ogunjobi.  No matter how much you like Hill he is not better than Hill and Ogunjobi.  So I see us as taking a step back in talent on the defense.  But even with the loss of Larry I still feel we have better talent than "below average".  So if we can get them to "gel" or get the coaches to figure out how to play more than one half in a game I think we could be close to top 10 on defense.

We lost Larry when it mattered most, the playoffs. How did our defense respond without him? I think Hill is being under rated and will make an positive impact just as Bates made an impact as a rookie.  I see our defense better in 2021 in yards allowed simply because I see our offense on the field more with the OL improvement and our defense on the field less. Less plays equals less yards and less plays equals less reps and more rest during the game.

I love this team and think they will improve overall in 2022.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The state of the Cincinnati Bengals is that The Bengals WON the AFC Championship and played a good hard Super Bowl. So Bengals Fans have nothing to complain about going into 4th of July in summer off season.

That is the state of Bengals as of now. Anybody who isn't Happy after the season Bengals just had, they will never be Happy. The kind who look for the negative to everything.

Now the state of the Cincinnati Reds is Awful and Bleak. The Last Place Reds are on pace to lose 100 games.

However the Bengals broke out of Last Place that they were in for years, and got it together, and went Super Bowl for 3rd time in Franchise History. Some Franchises have never went to Super Bowl or NFL Championship, or haven't gone in decades.

Let us not forget that Our Bengals ENDED the longest stretch without a Play-Off Win in The NFL. From 1991 to 2021 was just an awful thing. We should All be HAPPY that is over with. That now falls on other teams. OUR BENGALS WON IN THE PLAY-OFFS and EVEN WENT SUPER BOWL. So the State Of The Bengals THIS Off Season is GREAT.

Of course the regular season starts in September, it's a whole new season. For now, THE BENGALS ARE THE AFC CHAMPIONS, so be PROUD. Wear your Bengals clothes with Pride this summer. For THAT is the state of the Bengals as of July 4th, 2022.

Tiger Who Dey DancingDancingDancingDancingDancingDancingWho DeyTiger
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 12:13 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We lost Larry when it mattered most, the playoffs. How did our defense respond without him? 

They struggled.  They allowed more yards per game in the playoffs and a higher third down conversion rate.  Most noticeable was a massive  drop in "QB pressures" from 10.3 per game to just 5.8.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 08:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They struggled.  They allowed more yards per game in the playoffs and a higher third down conversion rate.  Most noticeable was a massive  drop in "QB pressures" from 10.3 per game to just 5.8.

While true, I think this was much bigger than the loss of Larry O.  The defensive ends were playing crazy numbers of snaps and basically wore down.   They need a healthy Ossai to take some of the load, as well as Kareem or possibly Hubert or the 7th rounder.  They also need another player to step up and be the rotational 3T so Hill doesn't get worn out as well.

I believe the Bengals are well aware of this as they always seem to reference "the longest season in history" and it won't be getting any shorter....although I would sure love that first round bye.  They kind of got one by being able to rest guys against the Browns in the second matchup, and I beleive that was huge for them.  
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 08:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They struggled.  They allowed more yards per game in the playoffs and a higher third down conversion rate.  Most noticeable was a massive  drop in "QB pressures" from 10.3 per game to just 5.8.

I do know they played some great offenses which can skew numbers.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team

We played 3, 9, 11 and 15 (we were 10th) in the playoffs. We also played 2 road games and 1 neutral game of the 4 playoff wins. We looked great against a very good Rams offense in my opinion. We beat the #3 offense at home and on the road.

I like Larry, but I don't think he is total team defensive player and never has been. It sacrifices his role to make splash plays, which are great when they work out and very bad when they don't.

I stand by my statements, the Bengals defense will be better in 2022 than in 2021 and some will be because the OL improvement will jelp the offense be better in 2022 than they were in 2021.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 09:05 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I like Larry, but I don't think he is total team defensive player and never has been. It sacrifices his role to make splash plays, which are great when they work out and very bad when they don't.

I don't agree with this at all and I don't think there is any evidence to back it up.

But even if it was true, you are not really claiming that Hill by himself is better than Hill and Ogunjobi are you?
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 09:05 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote:  We beat the #3 offense at home and on the road.

Because of our offense.  Our defense got gashed for over 30 points and 400 yards per game against them.  In both games our defense blew a 4th quarter lead forcing our offense to come back and win on the last play of the game.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 09:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because of our offense.  Our defense got gashed for over 30 points and 400 yards per game against them.  In both games our defense blew a 4th quarter lead forcing our offense to come back and win on the last play of the game.

LMAO Buffalo the #1 defense gave up more points and a lead. KC the second half scored 3 points twice. Not on the defense.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 10:10 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: LMAO Buffalo the #1 defense gave up more points and a lead. KC the second half scored 3 points twice. Not on the defense.

Yep. Good ol' Fred acts like a defense is simply suppose to stop a great offense at all times. I'd say it's even more remarkable considering the D did get rather gashed and got down by double-digit points in both games into the 3rd quarter only for the D to do a complete about face with all the pressure in the world against them.

He keeps talking about how just the offense pulled them thru but if that D doesn't hold them down and get the ball back to the offense series after series then neither game is won. Every analyst/former player out there that dissected those games raved about how the D controlled the Chiefs in both those 2nd halves.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 10:31 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Yep. Good ol' Fred acts like a defense is simply suppose to stop a great offense at all times. I'd say it's even more remarkable considering the D did get rather gashed and got down by double-digit points in both games into the 3rd quarter only for the D to do a complete about face with all the pressure in the world against them.

He keeps talking about how just the offense pulled them thru but if that D doesn't hold them down and get the ball back to the offense series after series then neither game is won. Every analyst/former player out there that dissected those games raved about how the D controlled the Chiefs in both those 2nd halves.

Of all his crazy contentions this one amazes me the most. Good grief don’t use a game that’s an example of the opposite.

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 05:23 AM)kevin Wrote: The state of the Cincinnati Bengals is that The Bengals WON the AFC Championship and played a good hard Super Bowl.  So Bengals Fans have nothing to complain about going into 4th of July in summer off season.  
Kevin..."State of" means currently. Right now. Not last year.
The 'current state of the team'. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 11:10 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Kevin..."State of" means currently. Right now. Not last year.
The 'current state of the team'. 

The state of the United States is that we beat the Axis powers in the World War and we should be proud of that.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 09:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't agree with this at all and I don't think there is any evidence to back it up.

But even if it was true, you are not really claiming that Hill by himself is better than Hill and Ogunjobi are you?

Larry Ogunjobi is inconsistent. While he has alot of talent and can make splash plays shooting gaps he also struggles maintaining gap integrity and gets pushed around when asked to plant his feet and 2 gap. He also makes as many mistakes as he does splash plays.

That's why you don't see him mentioned as one of the best IDL. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2022, 05:23 AM)kevin Wrote: The state of the Cincinnati Bengals is that The Bengals WON the AFC Championship and played a good hard Super Bowl.  So Bengals Fans have nothing to complain about going into 4th of July in summer off season.  

WRONG 

The state is was and will be OHIO!!!!
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 11:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow could be more efficient with a higher passer rating, but have lower totals because we don't throw as much.

I bet you anything, Burrow has more pass attempts this year, than last year..
Reply/Quote