Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statement Game
Yes yes, its a statement game thread, there always has to be one!  ThumbsUp

To me, Dalton can prove a TON, with a huge game Sunday.

I know it's hard to imagine the Bengals winning by two scores, hell its hard to imagine them winning by more than 3 points. That being said, it would do wonders for Dalton and the Bengals image to get a BIG WIN over the Steelers. Sure, sure, a win is all I'm asking for, but just imagine for a second what would happen if we won say 35-17.

It has been SO long since the Bengals have beat the Steelers convincingly. A lot of people are putting the emphasis on our defense and "not making mistakes.", but to me, this game is way more about the offense taking command.

Speaking of making statements, how cool would it be for Tyler Boyd to just rip it up this Sunday. I think the kid will play huge on this stage. He wants to make an impression, and he wants to make it on Pittsburgh for not choosing him. I can only assume he was a huge Pittsburgh fan, hell, he probably was happy when we lost last year. Nothing like sticking it to them like having a huge day at their home stadium.

People used to give us no chance against the Steelers, slowly, we have convinced people that we can hang with them and that the games are always close. Now its time to take the next step and show that we are indeed the better team. A loss against Pittsburgh, and nobody will think anything of it, a regular hard nosed win, and we will have been "lucky".... a win by 14+ points would really shut everyone up.
Reply/Quote
If we win by 14 or more points against the Squealers then expectations would then be pretty high and a ton of pundits and talking heads would start buzz around the Bengals. Not sure if I would want that for the team, would rather have them quietly go about winning week after week.

On the other hand I can't stand the Squealers so if it happens I would be pretty damn happy.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 04:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yes yes, its a statement game thread, there always has to be one!  ThumbsUp

I know it's hard to imagine the Bengals winning by two scores, hell its hard to imagine them winning by more than 3 points. That being said, it would do wonders for Dalton and the Bengals image to get a BIG WIN over the Steelers. Sure, sure, a win is all I'm asking for, but just imagine for a second what would happen if we won say 35-17.

It has been SO long since the Bengals have beat the Steelers convincingly. A lot of people are putting the emphasis on our defense and "not making mistakes.", but to me, this game is way more about the offense taking command.

Speaking of making statements, how cool would it be for Tyler Boyd to just rip it up this Sunday. I think the kid will play huge on this stage. He wants to make an impression, and he wants to make it on Pittsburgh for not choosing him. I can only assume he was a huge Pittsburgh fan, hell, he probably was happy when we lost last year. Nothing like sticking it to them like having a huge day at their home stadium.

People used to give us no chance against the Steelers, slowly, we have convinced people that we can hang with them and that the games are always close. Now its time to take the next step and show that we are indeed the better team. A loss against Pittsburgh, and nobody will think anything of it, a regular hard nosed win, and we will have been "lucky".... a win by 14+ points would really shut everyone up.

Boyd will have his chances.  Steelers will be playing either Sean Davis or Justin Gilbert as their third corner.  Golson has been ruled out already and they don't have much more corner depth otherwise.  

And quite frankly, I don't care who steps up, just hope they go in there and pound them.  
Reply/Quote
Daltons already proven he can do it all. Only thing left for him to prove is in the playoffs. If you don't believe in him at this point then you never will.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 04:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yes yes, its a statement game thread, there always has to be one!  ThumbsUp

Loyal poster starts obligatory thread. Loyal reader chooses obligatory response 404: I don't care what happens Sunday as long as we win a playoff game this year. Cool
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to see us make a statement against the Steelers. I became a fan in 98 and the largest margin of victory I've seen is 10 points, that was back in 2013.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'd feel a whole hell of a lot better about our chances of destroying them if we had Eifert and Burfict on the field.

And a new center.

Master of the obvious i know.

Reply/Quote
A win by more than 14 points would do wonders for the confidence of this team. I don't think they are afraid of the Steelers anymore, but Pittsburgh still has a way of getting under their skin. It would elevate the team in the eyes of the media, the rest of the league, and within the players themselves. Let's all hope.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 04:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: .... a win by 14+ points would really shut everyone up.

No it won't. That's when you will get the "lucky" comments, or that the steelers beat themselves due to turnovers, or that they were not at full strength...or at the very least they will say the Bengals played above their heads because of the revenge factor. One game will not change the perception that the steelers are better. Its going to take several wins over several seasons before that needle will budge.
Reply/Quote
ANY way we manage to win, whether it be by 1 point or 20 will be more than convincing enough for me. A win, on the road, in an emotionally-charged game is more than not going to be ugly. So "margin of victory" is completely irrelevant for this fan.

But man, a good ole ass whopping in the Katsup Bottle will be out-freaking-standing.
Reply/Quote
Meh...we beat them at home last year and look where it got us?

It's a big game because it's a division game and a rivalry, but a "statement" game?

What might the statement be?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 04:41 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'd love to see us make a statement against the Steelers. I became a fan in 98 and the largest margin of victory I've seen is 10 points, that was back in 2013.

temco bowl prediction is we win 52 to 17 lol...

but ill take any win over the steelers where no bengals get cheap shot'd to IR
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 05:13 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Meh...we beat them at home last year and look where it got us?

It's a big game because it's a division game and a rivalry, but a "statement" game?

What might the statement be?

Statement would be WE are 2-0...    And still own this division.. over the steelers who we handed the victory to in January.  So yeah I think expectations should be we win this game....  

Or A Statement to show how much the bengals have grown and go out there be very professional beat the steelers while they make asshats out of themselves trying to get players to bite.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 04:44 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: A win by more than 14 points would do wonders for the confidence of this team.  I don't think they are afraid of the Steelers anymore, but Pittsburgh still has a way of getting under their skin.  It would elevate the team in the eyes of the media, the rest of the league, and within the players themselves.  Let's all hope.

This made me think of Ric Flair. I loved him as an entertainer going all the way back to his early days when he was billed as "Nature Boy" Ric Flair.

As much as I think we can make too big a deal of bulletin board material and who said what to or about whom, there do seem to be those teams who "psyche out" (to use an old phrase from the early '70s sports parlance) their opponents. And, yeah, Pittsburgh seems to get in Cincy's head and under their skin. Which brings me to the Nature Boy. You all know what is coming. Ric's immortal line: "If you want to be the man, you've got to beat the man!"

So week 2, long season, Pittsburgh a team on the decline, Cincy on the rise, etc. but, yeah, this could be a big game psychologically. But that door swings both ways. We lose, and it won't shatter but could impede confidence. We win, it won't assure but could bolster confidence.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 04:38 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Daltons already proven he can do it all. Only thing left for him to prove is in the playoffs. If you don't believe in him at this point then you never will.
Been a Dalton believer since the day he was drafted, not sure where I made it sound like I wasn't lol.
Reply/Quote
To me, the Seahawks made a huge statement when they dropped a 50 burger on the Niners.

Recall, the Niners had the Hawks number for quite some time, but they rose up, they were chippy, and eventually they beat their biggest rival and moved onto the superbowl.

If you just think Meh, a win is a win, then you don't understand how much a huge win can do for a team... imo anyways.

I think you all just feel this way because you don't believe its possible.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 05:23 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Been a Dalton believer since the day he was drafted, not sure where I made it sound like I wasn't lol.

This is not directed at you personally.

It is funny how for a little over four years I heard an awful lot of people talking about how Andy Dalton sucked. And now, finding people who said he sucked is like finding people who voted for W. They all disappeared. (Well, maybe Diebold did give Bush the election, which would explain the voters disappearing, but not the Dalton haters.)
Reply/Quote
The only statement i want is a win in their backyard, this is war.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 05:30 PM)xxlt Wrote: This is not directed at you personally.

It is funny how for a little over four years I heard an awful lot of people talking about how Andy Dalton sucked. And now, finding people who said he sucked is like finding people who voted for W. They all disappeared. (Well, maybe Diebold did give Bush the election, which would explain the voters disappearing, but not the Dalton haters.)

It IS funny how that happened. They will come back out at his first actual failure. You saw them a little last year after we started 8-0 and then bam one loss and here they are. "Andy still stinks on primetime!".

They will show themselves when they feel they actually have a leg to stand on... which nowadays isn't too often.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 04:54 PM)Beaker Wrote: No it won't. That's when you will get the "lucky" comments, or that the steelers beat themselves due to turnovers, or that they were not at full strength...or at the very least they will say the Bengals played above their heads because of the revenge factor. One game will not change the perception that the steelers are better. Its going to take several wins over several seasons before that needle will budge.

I agree with Beaker, the Steelers are the NFL's little darlings, so it will revert right back to them for 'falling on their face', or not 'utilizing their weapons', or not having Bell or ____insert key player here for the loss____. Any game can be a 'statement'  game. Depends what the statement is...? 

Bengals are the red-headed step-child of the AFC North...(no pun intended) meaning, officiating never seems to go our way, whether it be a touchdown that was ruled as a touchdown on the field on game day, but later reviewed and said it wasn't a touchdown...insert (*) to the W*. Steelers are the block bullies. It seems okay for them to keep bullying, but the second they are the ones getting bullied, Officiating 'Dad' steps in and ends up deciding the game...usually in their favor. Our days of 'shut up and take it' are not far from over, but the second Marvin Lewis and staff allows this team to stand up for what is right, Marvin is considered a bad coach, with unruly uncharacteristic players on his roster. 

I truly hate the Steelers. Anytime this team can win in anyway shape or form, it is a statement game to me.  

Who-dey...F***-WeDey. 

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote