Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve King: How did white supremacist become offensive?
(02-18-2019, 06:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  Just anti-Zionist.

Like Oman, I also think what Israel does is wrong, but I am not anti-Semitic.

Like I have said many time, there are lots of Jews who are anti-Zionist.

So you think Israel has hypnotized the world?
(02-18-2019, 07:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So you think Israel has hypnotized the world?

No.  I think they have manipulated public opinion and used the old Christian/Muslim conflict to their advantage.

Is "hypnotist" an anti-Semitic term?

BTW in case you are wondering I don't believe in Allah either.
(02-18-2019, 07:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I think they have manipulated public opinion and used the old Christian/Muslim conflict to their advantage.

Is "hypnotist" an anti-Semitic term?

BTW in case you are wondering I don't believe in Allah either.

Fair enough.  I think it clearly is and many others do as well.  Hence the disconnect on this subject.
(02-18-2019, 07:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Fair enough.  I think it clearly is and many others do as well.  Hence the disconnect on this subject.

And here is where we come to the issue that you try to call "whataboutism".

You can't base your argument on the opinion of "many others" when their opinions are based just on political affiliation.  When people on their side do the same thing they don't think it is anti-Semitic.  Therefore their opinions carry no weight.
(02-18-2019, 08:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And here is where we come to the issue that you try to call "whataboutism".

You're not using that term correctly.  At all

Quote:You can't base your argument on the opinion of "many others" when their opinions are based just on political affiliation.  When people on their side do the same thing they don't think it is anti-Semitic.  Therefore their opinions carry no weight.

I'm basing my argument on my opinion.  In this case many others share this opinion.   If no one else shared this opinion I would still have this opinion.  Your opinion differs, the end.
Take 20 minutes and listen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/podcasts/the-daily/israel-democrats-ilhan-omar-rashida-tlaib.html

See how this has been framed and changed over the years.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/paul-lepage-electoral-college-white-people_n_5c780795e4b0d3a48b5798e5

Quote:Former Maine Governor: Bypassing Electoral College Would Silence ‘White People’
Twitter users dragged Paul LePage for echoing white supremacist talking points about national popular vote legislation.

Former Maine Gov. Paul LePage ® bashed proposed legislation in Maine that would circumvent the Electoral College during a presidential election, claiming this week that such a move would effectively silence “white people.”

LePage, who came under fire in 2016 for suggesting people of color in Maine were “the enemy,” warned that “minorities” would have more control if more bills meant to ensure the president is elected by the national popular vote are passed.

“Actually what would happen if they do what they say they’re gonna do is white people will not have anything to say,” LePage told WVOM FM’s “George Hale Ric Tyler Show” on Tuesday. “It’s only going to be the minorities that would elect. It would be California, Texas, Florida.”

To date, 11 states and Washington, D.C., have enacted National Popular Vote legislation, which requires all of that state’s electoral votes to be given to whichever presidential candidate wins the popular vote nationwide, rather than the candidate who won the vote in just that state. The legislation would take effect only when the law is enacted by states possessing 270 electoral votes ― a majority of the 538 electoral votes.

Critics of the Electoral College say the body provides an unfair advantage to Republicans and marginalizes the vast majority of minorities. 

“The electoral college is a relic of slavery, designed to balance the power between slave-owning and non-slave owning states, at a time when African-Americans were considered 3/5s of a person and women didn’t vote at all,” former Sen. Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) wrote in 2017.

But LePage dubbed the proposal, still undergoing consideration in Maine, as an “an insane, insane process” and warned that presidential candidates would overlook Maine during their campaigns.

“We’re gonna be forgotten people,” he said.
There is a "Story" about DJT complaining that Jews should like him more than the polling suggests.

Within that article there are links to some things that Trump himself has said that I didn't even realize because they were so low compared to the rest of what he says and does.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/adl-trump-closing-ad-invokes-antisemitic-rhetoric

Quote:The Anti-Defamation League slammed the Donald Trump campaign on Sunday for “conjuring painful stereotypes and baseless conspiracy theories” in its two-minute closing ad.

“Whether intentional or not, the images and rhetoric in this ad touch on subjects that anti-Semites have used for ages,” ADL CEO and National Director Jonathan Greenblatt wrote in a statement released Sunday. “This needs to stop.”

He wrote that candidates should be “especially responsible” with their statements due to high tensions in the time remaining before Election Day.

“All candidates need to be especially responsible and bid for votes by offering sincere ideas and policy proposals, not by conjuring painful stereotypes and baseless conspiracy theories,” Greenblatt wrote.

Quote:This #Trump ad touches on images and rhetoric that anti-Semites have used for ages https://t.co/fKjHU3Bsy5 pic.twitter.com/itMxVUpS2R
— ADL (@ADL_National) November 6, 2016

The Trump campaign released the ad Saturday, and it is reportedly set to spend $4 million to air it in nine swing states. It features audio of the Republican nominee declaiming against “global special interests” and “those who control the levers of power in Washington” played over footage of Hillary Clinton, George Soros, Janet Yellen and Lloyd Blankfein – all of whom are Jewish, except Clinton.

The audio comes from a speech that the Republican nominee gave in October at a rally in West Palm Beach, Florida, warning voters about a global “power structure” of establishment figures conspiring to derail his campaign.

In a tweet posted the same day as the speech, Greenblatt condemned Trump’s use of historically anti-Semitic rhetoric and imagery:

Quote:.@TeamTrump should avoid rhetoric&tropes that historically have been used ag. Jews & still spur #antisemitism. Lets keep hate out of cmpgn https://t.co/9LMnurQ3Xg
— Jonathan Greenblatt (@JGreenblattADL) October 13, 2016

Watch the Trump campaign’s closing ad below:

Glass houses...stones...etc.
(03-13-2019, 11:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: There is a "Story" about DJT complaining that Jews should like him more than the polling suggests.

Within that article there are links to some things that Trump himself has said that I didn't even realize because they were so low compared to the rest of what he says and does.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/adl-trump-closing-ad-invokes-antisemitic-rhetoric

Glass houses...stones...etc.

But Trump is a white male and claims to be Christian. So it's okay.

And I'm saying this for both Democrats and Republicans. Your skin tone, gender, and religion can absolutely determine the reaction to your words and deeds no matter your political affiliation.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
What’s wrong with a white supremacist killing 49 people because they look and act different than what he approves of?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/new-zealand-police-detain-four-after-mosque-shootings/ar-BBUN8Pn?li=BBnb4R5
Old Steve was on a roll!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/05/29/steve-king-all-cultures-do-not-contribute-equally-civilization/1268437001/

Quote:Steve King: All cultures do not contribute equally, to claim otherwise is to devalue the 'Founding Fathers'

DES MOINES, Iowa — At a Webster County, Iowa, town hall on Tuesday, Rep. Steve King said presuming all cultures are equal devalues the "Founding Fathers," and tangled with an event attendee who said King discriminated against Mexican and non-white Americans. 

King said, as he has before, that he cares about history and Western civilization — not race. 

"If we presume that every culture is equal and has an equal amount to contribute to our civilization, then we're devaluing the contributions of the people that laid the foundation for America and that's our founding fathers," King said in Fort Dodge. "It is not about race; it's never been about race. It is about culture."

More: Steve King relates to Jesus Christ's suffering after backlash over 'white supremacy' quote
More: Steve King avoids question about whether 'white society' is superior to 'nonwhite society'

Christina Russell, a Fort Dodge resident, said that his Facebook posts suggest he represents conservatives rather than all 4th District residents — including those who don't share his views. King responded that many people like his presence on Facebook.

"There's a warning banner on there, and you should read that, I think you would never go there again, because it says 'don't go here unless you have a sense of humor,'" King said.

Russell said she disagreed with King's characterization of his Facebook posts as just a "sense of humor."

Earlier this year, he posted a Facebook meme depicting figures made up of red states punching blue states with the caption, "Folks keep talking about another Civil War … One side has about 8 trillion bullets, while the other side doesn’t know which bathroom to use.” King later deleted the picture.

"Making fun of brown people and criminalizing them, it's not a joke, it's not a sense of humor," Russell said. "Dehumanizing the Mexican culture is not a joke."

King has repeatedly caused uproars over his comments about Western civilization, race and non-Western civilizations. Earlier this year, his comments about white nationalism and white supremacy to the New York Times, which he said were misinterpreted, caused Republican leadership to strip him of committee assignments.

On Tuesday, he said he was making progress in winning back his committee seats and fighting back against what he called a "political lynch mob."

"I've been Mr. Nice Guy about this all along and let the cooler heads take over and now ... pretty soon I'm going to start pushing," he said.
He has one point right. Our founding fathers didn't consider all races/cultures equal (specifically Africans obviously with slavery/Jim Crow).

That doesn't make it right.

King still being around and such a popular figure with Republicans and the Religious Right just goes to show how far we still have to come as a Nation to treat everyone equally.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/politics/steve-king-iowa-primary-election/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0rwOWtFoUmYC8o39PIou98JUtA3XpFzsGRGVvO7w1j-vKxe_soiWPFTkU

Don't let the door hit you on the way out
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-03-2020, 02:02 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/politics/steve-king-iowa-primary-election/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0rwOWtFoUmYC8o39PIou98JUtA3XpFzsGRGVvO7w1j-vKxe_soiWPFTkU

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Yikes.  When elders in the party of DJT think you're too damn racist to be re-elected, that's saying something.  
From what I read last night the guy who beat him ran on a platform that King wasn't enough of an ally to Trump because he was kicked off his committees. 

Quote:Feenstra’s campaign did not focus on King’s history of racist rhetoric, except to claim that losing his committee assignments diminished his ability to work for his district, which covers the mostly rural northwest quadrant of the state. The state’s other three congressional seats are currently held by Democrats. 

“The Fourth District needs a seat at the table — an effective conservative voice,” Feenstra said during a debate in May. “Our district, our president, deserve an effective conservative leader in Congress.”
Trump seems happy King is gone.

Republicans have shown they have no issue with white nationalism. Look at who's in the White House. King lost because GOP leaders finally realized he was an albatross and kicked him off committees, rendering him useless.

King lost in spite of being racist, not because of it.

The fella (Feenstra) who won is a Trump supporting, NRA ‘A’ rated, pro-life nut job....so hard to think he is the un-racist we were looking for.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(06-03-2020, 11:16 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Republicans have shown they have no issue with white nationalism. Look at who's in the White House. King lost because GOP leaders finally realized he was an albatross and kicked him off committees, rendering him useless.

King lost in spite of being racist, not because of it.

The fella (Feenstra) who won is a Trump supporting, NRA ‘A’ rated, pro-life nut job....so hard to think he is the un-racist we were looking for.

IDK, Jason.  Pro-life and Pro gun are more or less conservative standard issue positions.  I can live with that species of Republican.  I'm a gun owner myself, so pro-gun doesn't make me dismiss anyone out of hand.  

Neither of those positions make a Republican alt-right or white nationalist.  That's a newish thing in the party.  I can have disagreements on policies like abortion, gun control, and the role of gubmint, but the white nationalism thing is an automatic non-starter that shouldn't really be tolerated by anyone, IMO.  Even if some conservatives have that mindset, ones that actually espouse those kinds of beliefs still aren't all that common outside of the White House and Stephen Miller.  I still call getting rid of a legislator who openly praises white nationalism as a victory, even if it's a victory for a hard right conservative.
(06-03-2020, 05:13 AM)samhain Wrote: Yikes.  When elders in the party of DJT think you're too damn racist to be re-elected, that's saying something.  

Too damned OPENLY racist. 

No one below Trump can make racial slurs without consequence.