Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve Smith planning on a 2016 return
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25361261/ravens-steve-smith-intends-to-return-in-2016-schedules-achilles-surgery

He has scheduled surgery for next week so that he can return for one last (full) season in 2016.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 06:28 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25361261/ravens-steve-smith-intends-to-return-in-2016-schedules-achilles-surgery

He has scheduled surgery for next week so that he can return for one last (full) season in 2016.

Sad that the Ravens have to depend on a 37 year old WR coming back from an achilles injury.  I wish Steve Smith all the best though.  Guy is a gamer.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 06:28 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25361261/ravens-steve-smith-intends-to-return-in-2016-schedules-achilles-surgery

Good. Glad he will get to leave the game on his own terms. I'm not his biggest fan, but he has earned that with his play.
Reply/Quote
Good.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

He is a warrior and was one of the few bright spots for the Ravens in 2015.

But, have you noticed, once an NFL tears one Achilles, he often tears the other the following year.

If the Ravens are going to base their success on a 37 or 38 old year receiver coming off an Achilles injury then Ozzie truly has lost it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think one of the writers on NFL.com pointed out he might not retire (as LT changed his mind) because he doesn't want his last game in the NFL to be one where he is exiting on a cart. Good for him. I guess I have a soft spot for old mean guys who refuse to die.
Reply/Quote
knew he wouldn't leave like this..

wonder if he does in fact re-sign with Ravens..or if they allow him to go somewhere else...
like to see him return to Carolina for his last season, but I don't know how burnt that bridge is.
Reply/Quote
My dad's a Carolina fan for some reason and was indignant about them letting Smith go, same for Williams ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 06:49 PM)grampahol Wrote: My dad's a Carolina fan for some reason and was indignant about them letting Smith go, same for Williams ..

This is great....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNjtepBuOlM
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
i wish him the best
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2015, 06:13 PM)rungiorun25 Wrote: knew he wouldn't leave like this..

wonder if he does in fact re-sign with Ravens..or if they allow him to go somewhere else...
like to see him return to Carolina for his last season, but I don't know how burnt that bridge is.

He's signed with Baltimore through next season. If he comes back, he'll be a Raven.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 06:33 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Sad that the Ravens have to depend on a 37 year old WR coming back from an achilles injury.  I wish Steve Smith all the best though.  Guy is a gamer.  

Agree with this.... He should be no more than a third WR. That Ravens team has so many holes they won't be good next year either. They won't be able to turn around that secondary for a couple of years. Same with the WR position .
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2015, 07:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Agree with this....  He should be no more than a third WR.   That Ravens team has so many holes they won't be good next year either.    They won't be able to turn around that secondary for a couple of years.    Same with the WR position .

Smith is signed and not cheap. Again, so you want to use valuable cap dollars on an aging WR coming off of a major injury who is paid well?

I hope he comes back, I give him about a 30% shot at playing all 16 games.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It takes a full year for a guy in his 20s to fully recover from an Achilles and be effective again.

As good as he has been at his age, I just don't see where it benefits his legacy to come back unless he is going to play 2 more seasons, and then it is just going to look like a guy who doesn't know when to walk away.

He should be proud of what he has done in this league and walk away, in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 02:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Smith is signed and not cheap. Again, so you want to use valuable cap dollars on an aging WR coming off of a major injury who is paid well?

He will come back and be limited and not go out with dignity.  

He had a great career. Gotta know when to walk away.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 02:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Smith is signed and not cheap. Again, so you want to use valuable cap dollars on an aging WR coming off of a major injury who is paid well?

Lol WTH!! Smith's deal is pretty cheap. 

I'm starting to believe you have a strange  obsession or something about salary caps. 

And where the hell do you get a random number like 30% from?

I know.....

Out your a**
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
The question may boil down to not if he wants to come back, or even can he come back. But is an NFL team going to use a roster spot on a 37 year old 5' 8" WR coming off a major injury who's probably going to have lost a step and a good deal of quickness ?
Reply/Quote
Good.

Here's hoping the Ravens continue to ignore the WR position and count on an ancient Steve Smith coming off injury and a 2nd year guy who appears to be made of glass. Cuz you know...Elite QBs don't need good WRs! Ninja
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:26 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Good.

Here's hoping the Ravens continue to ignore the WR position and count on an ancient Steve Smith coming off injury and a 2nd year guy who appears to be made of glass. Cuz you know...Elite QBs don't need good WRs! Ninja

well they did draft a first rounder this year but he hasnt seen the field.

Also Pitta is not returning this season
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 03:06 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The question may boil down to not if he wants to come back, or even can he come back. But is an NFL team going to use a roster spot on a 37 year old 5' 8" WR coming off a major injury who's probably going to have lost a step and a good deal of quickness ?

Considering how their WR group looks right now, Smith should have no problem making the roster next season. Besides, Smith is so crazy/intense that I don't see a torn Achille's slowing him down.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote