Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve Young Thinks The Bengals Can Beat The Patriots
Keep in mind that the Pittsburgh-New England game was 28-21. It wasn't like the Pats hung 56 on them.

If we are healthy, we can beat them.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 10:50 AM)PApinhead Wrote: True!!!  But can our defense step up and do that?  Can our coaches come up with the game plan to get the job done?  I'm pretty sure Bellicheat and the Patriot coaches can do it.  I really hope we get the chance to see.

Can their defense stop us?  I'm not convinced they can.  
Reply/Quote
Michael Irvin says this every week. Starting about four weeks ago, he has said that Cincinnati is the only team capable of stopping New England in the playoffs.

Brady and Belichick in the playoffs is a scary combination. You have arguably the best coach and the best quarterback in NFL history, plus throw in the fact that they have been there so many times. Obviously, there are no nerves on that side of the field.

They did not always have that experience though. They had to get there, and win, the first time. The same as the Bengals do now. It would be by far the toughest challenge that this team would face all year. If the game is in Foxborough, I would give a big advantage the New England. At PBS, I would call it even.
Reply/Quote
If the game is in Foxborough, the Bengals' headsets will "mysteriously" fail to work in the second half.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals have more weapons than Patriots.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 12:25 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Can their defense stop us?  I'm not convinced they can.  

I don't know.  Unfortunately, I'd say they would have a better chance of stopping us than we would of stopping them.  Our offense is definitely potent and is hard to stop, but when it comes to the defense, I'd give the edge to the Patriots.  Plus, if you factor in playoff experience and history, you have to give the edge to the Patriots.

I can't stand Bellicheat and the Patriots and really hope we get the chance to play them and beat them.  I most certainly think we are capable of beating them, but whether we will or not is a different matter.  I am more positive about this team than I have been in a long time and think there is something special about this year's Bengals.  However, there is still a little bit of me that wonders if we can get that first playoff win under Marvin Lewis.  I do think this is the year it happens.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
Patriots are damn good, but not as dominate as some people claim.

Both the Bills and Steelers outgained them in close games that the Pats won by one score.
Reply/Quote
There's a point in time when someone will displace New England, and from what I've seen from our team so far, we're the guys that can do it. If we keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we've been getting. Easy peasy - not. But possible. Maybe even very possible. For now though, I'm trying my best to enjoy every minute of each game as they're played, and not look beyond.....too often.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:05 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: There's a point in time when someone will displace New England, and from what I've seen from our team so far, we're the guys that can do it. If we keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we've been getting. Easy peasy - not. But possible. Maybe even very possible. For now though, I'm trying my best to enjoy every minute of each game as they're played, and not look beyond.....too often.

Oh yeah, I think we can be the team to do it.  We still need a couple of tweaks here and there, mainly on defense, but I can see it happening. 

It is hard not to look ahead and wonder what we can do in the playoffs, but mostly I am just having fun with each game.  I can't wait until Monday night!!!
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 01:37 PM)Earendil Wrote: If the game is in Foxborough, the Bengals' headsets will "mysteriously" fail to work in the second half.

You're going to get slammed for that comment, but we all know its true.
Reply/Quote
I think they can too.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I agree with Steve, of all the teams this team looks like the one that could take them down...

If the Bengals are healthy that is.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:15 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: You're going to get slammed for that comment, but we all know its true.

Yep, on both counts.
Reply/Quote
A little OT, but I don't think Steve Young gets enough mention when talking about the best of all time. Since he was handed the keys of a dynasty he doesn't get enough credit for how great he was. No QB ever had a better combination of arm, legs, and brains.
Reply/Quote
Of course they can. Why would the best team in the league not be able to beat the second best team in the league?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Yes we can beat them. We have the talent on offense but more importantly we have a Dline that can get pressure with just 4.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Man up the WR. Safety help on Gronk and lean on he run.

Their WR do not scare me whatsoever.
Reply/Quote
The Pats are hard to beat when they have a chip on their shoulder and are on a mission. I think the deflategate put the chip on their shoulder and they would definitely be going into this game on a mission. Not impossible to win but they will have to bring their A game.
Reply/Quote
All things considered, the only way we're beating them is if Brady doesn't get a chance to win at the end. It's gonna be on us to score last.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2015, 02:05 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: There's a point in time when someone will displace New England, and from what I've seen from our team so far, we're the guys that can do it. If we keep doing what we're doing, we'll keep getting what we've been getting. Easy peasy - not. But possible. Maybe even very possible. For now though, I'm trying my best to enjoy every minute of each game as they're played, and not look beyond.....too often.

With you 100%.  I think it was Mo Egger that described the 1990 season for the Reds with the Nasty Boys, starting 9-0, Jack Armstrong, etc. and how much fun that entire season was and how it wasn't ruined by thinking ahead like "there is no way they can win it all", especially against the As.

Back to the original topic, I think the key to beating the Pats is like Rocky in the beginning of his second fight with Apollo Creed.  His trainer says right as the fight begins:  "If we get through this first round, he's ours!".  It seems like the Pats game plan is often to throw a lot of quick punches, looking for the knockout.  On defense, some early down and distance blitzes...on offense, some double-moves and a deep shot.  They never come out of a locker room lethargic like "we're going to establish the run" or something else.  They get ahead early and force you to be one-dimensional.  I feel like being ready right from the get go is a key to staying with them.  It sounds incredibly easy, and I know it isn't....look no further than how the Redskins were out of the game almost as soon as it started.  

I feel like their defense sells out early to make a few big stops.  I would attack them.  Don't come out conservative.  Come out throwing haymakers. Let them know you are going to attack them on every snap, on both sides of the ball.  Everyone worships Brady's performances, but he is clearly rattled by pressure in his face.  Get those "A" gap blitzes going and get hits on him.  Don't play just to avoid a big play...Their offense will just check down, first down, check down, first down you all the way to the end zone.  

I'm  not going to sit here and hope it isn't them.  For the Bengals to make it to the Super Bowl, chances are they will have to go through New England.  Fine.  If they beat you, they beat you...but make them earn it against a team that is willing to attack.  They don't see that very often. 
Reply/Quote