Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stock Market Tanking
(12-21-2018, 08:27 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Mellow

Yeah you don't get to complain about oversimplification after having oversimplified things yourself. Equal rights for all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-21-2018, 06:47 AM)Goalpost Wrote: With the market lower, people working, in 401ks, are actually buying more stock right now.  When it does reverse trend and go back up, you will have more stock in your account doing this.

That is kind of a mathematical fallacy stock brokers came up with to try and make people feel better about losing money. The nuber of shares makes no difference. It is all about return on investment.
Market rebounds 600+ points on Dec 26.
(12-26-2018, 06:38 PM)Beaker Wrote: Market rebounds 600+ points on Dec 26.

Yeah, looks like there were some definite gains, today. It will be interesting to see how the year ends up because I believe this year hasn't been very good overall.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
If I had a lot of money in the stock market I would pull it out and buy some six month bonds or something like that.

This volatility is bad. We are due for an adjustment. You would miss six months of growth, but I don't see that being very much with the fed raising the rates.

But I see a good chance of a major drop.
(12-26-2018, 06:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, looks like there were some definite gains, today. It will be interesting to see how the year ends up because I believe this year hasn't been very good overall.

Closed up over 1000 points today.
(12-26-2018, 09:27 PM)Beaker Wrote: Closed up over 1000 points today.

Which index?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(12-26-2018, 09:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Which index?

The Dow.
(12-26-2018, 09:29 PM)Beaker Wrote: The Dow.

Good stuff. What I was talking about, though, is that the DJI, for instance, is almost 2000 points lower than it was when it opened in 2018. Not a great year for the market thus far. The S&P 500 was on the brink of a bear market, recently. I'm hoping things turn up here in the next few days.

I heard some stuff on the radio basically saying the market went back up for a multitude of reasons (still on track for worst December since 1931..justless worse now) but one reason being talked about was Trump kept his mouth shut for awhile.  

Basically he didn't talk about trade wars and walls and shutdowns so people relaxed and went back to their normal business.

Well, that lasted all of 24 hours.  Let's see what happens the rest of this week.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Dow futures opening down 450 points. That 1000 point rally sure didn't last long.
(12-27-2018, 11:16 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Dow futures opening down 450 points. That 1000 point rally sure didn't last long.

Nope.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/27/futures-on-the-back-of-wednesdays-wall-street-surge.html

So much winning.   Whatever
The stock market goes down like an elevator, and up like an escalator. If youre in, you need to be in for the long term, not the short. These wild fluctuations mean nothing unless you are needing the money at this moment.
(12-27-2018, 12:53 PM)Beaker Wrote: The stock market goes down like an elevator, and up like an escalator. If youre in, you need to be in for the long term, not the short. These wild fluctuations mean nothing unless you are needing the money at this moment.

The market isn’t supposed to fluctuate wildly on a daily basis. This isn’t normal ebb and flow. This is the beginning of a bear market and likely recession.
(12-27-2018, 04:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The market isn’t supposed to fluctuate wildly on a daily basis. This isn’t normal ebb and flow. This is the beginning of a bear market and likely recession.

Look, the instability isn't good, but we don't know this. Trying to predict the market is a folly.

(12-27-2018, 04:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The market isn’t supposed to fluctuate wildly on a daily basis. This isn’t normal ebb and flow. This is the beginning of a bear market and likely recession.

I heard today the last swing like this week (1000 one way / 500 hundred the other) was all the way back in....February of 2018.

The fact that it happened isn't a sign of pending doom...but it's not necessarily good either.
(12-27-2018, 04:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Look, the instability isn't good, but we don't know this. Trying to predict the market is a folly.

(12-27-2018, 05:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: I heard today the last swing like this week (1000 one way / 500 hundred the other) was all the way back in....February of 2018.

The fact that it happened isn't a sign of pending doom...but it's not necessarily good either.

I wasn’t referring to just what has happened in the past two days. This volatility and downward trend has been going on since the end of September. Three months of bad indicators is why I say this is a bear market , heading for recession. The market and stocks should be booming right now with over a trillion dollars in stock buybacks this year. That only makes what we are seeing even worse.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/14325190-09F2-11E9-AE9F-8505C76186EF
Those who have most of the money and knows what they are doing will start to pull their money out making millions of $.

Those who use E-Trade will leave their money in hoping things will turn around as they start to lose money.

Then as the market falls, the E-Traders will panic and get their money out losing more than half of their initial investment.

Once the market reaches a certain low, those who know what they are doing will take a tenth of their earnings, buy up all the low priced stocks from the E-Traders and start a new bubble as Democrats and Republicans argue over a wall or big business as Democrats and Republicans laugh all the way to the bank as those who lost savings carry them on their shoulders yelling "HE'S FOR THE COMMON MAN!"
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(12-27-2018, 05:59 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Those who have most of the money and knows what they are doing will start to pull their money out making millions of $.

Those who use E-Trade will leave their money in hoping things will turn around as they start to lose money.

Then as the market falls, the E-Traders will panic and get their money out losing more than half of their initial investment.

Once the market reaches a certain low, those who know what they are doing will take a tenth of their earnings, buy up all the low priced stocks from the E-Traders and start a new bubble as Democrats and Republicans argue over a wall or big business as Democrats and Republicans laugh all the way to the bank as those who lost savings carry them on their shoulders yelling "HE'S FOR THE COMMON MAN!"

You arent losing money when the stock market goes down unless you sell when it does. You only lose when you sell at a lower price than you bought.
(12-27-2018, 06:29 PM)Beaker Wrote: You arent losing money when the stock market goes down unless you sell when it does. You only lose when you sell at a lower price than you bought.

You lose money if you stay in while it keeps falling.  A lot of traders try to pull their money out before a large drop.

If I had a lot of money in the market that is what I wouold do.  I'd buy some six month bonds.  You won't get any growth but you avoid losing large sums in a big drop.