Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stone Cold on Gay Marriage
Thumbs Up 
I try to stay away from topics about politics and religion, because they tend to go in endless circles, but the gay marriage issue is one I did chime in on a few times on the old board. As I stated over there, my brother is gay and I've had to watch the ignorant stuff he has had to deal with for the last 25 years. I've never understood why a straight man/woman, who is secure with their own sexuality, is concerned with who anyone wants to be with or marry.  Rolleyes

Anyway, I've always been a Stone Cold fan, and still listen to his podcast every week. This is a clip from last year, where he gives his take on it...and I couldn't agree more.

I've always liked him. He tells it like it is. Good post.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-11-2015, 02:37 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I've always liked him. He tells it like it is. Good post.

Yeah, he speaks his mind for sure. I wish everyone was as secure as he is on the topic, then there wouldn't be all the crazy paranoia, hatred, bigotry, or ass backwards thinking.   :crazy:
(06-11-2015, 02:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, he speaks his mind for sure. I wish everyone was as secure as he is on the topic, then there wouldn't be all the crazy paranoia, hatred, bigotry, or ass backwards thinking.   :crazy:

Yea, you have to be insecure about your own marriage to believe two guys having one somehow affects your own.

(06-11-2015, 02:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, he speaks his mind for sure. I wish everyone was as secure as he is on the topic, then there wouldn't be all the crazy paranoia, hatred, bigotry, or ass backwards thinking.   :crazy:

Same sex marriage and equal rights for the LGBT community are coming soon.  And future generations will look back on this same way that we look back on Jim Crow laws and the like....absolutely and utterly ridiculous.
(06-11-2015, 03:19 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Same sex marriage and equal rights for the LGBT community are coming soon.  And future generations will look back on this same way that we look back on Jim Crow laws and the like....absolutely and utterly ridiculous.

Agreed, and the sooner the better.  ThumbsUp
(06-11-2015, 02:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, you have to be insecure about your own marriage to believe two guys having one somehow affects your own.

Can you back that up with something substantial? It just seems like more "bigot" & "homophobe" type of propaganda that you use to try to belittle people that don't share you viewpoint........ Yawn

If homosexuals are so secure, then why the high suicide rates? That tells me that these individuals have a low self esteem and insecure sexual orientation.
(06-11-2015, 04:59 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Can you back that up with something substantial? It just seems like more "bigot" & "homophobe" type of propaganda that you use to try to belittle people that don't share you viewpoint........ Yawn

If homosexuals are so secure, then why the high suicide rates? That tells me that these individuals have a low self esteem and insecure sexual orientation.

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact millions of people ridicule homosexuals for arbitrary reasons. It has nothing to do with the intense bullying they receive since we've allowed religion to run the country.

They only commit suicide because they're insecure.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
And that's the bottom line, cause Stone Cold said so. And of course he is 100% correct.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(06-11-2015, 03:19 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Same sex marriage and equal rights for the LGBT community are coming soon.  And future generations will look back on this same way that we look back on Jim Crow laws and the like....absolutely and utterly ridiculous.

Jim crow laws? That's quite a jump there .... Show me where gays are not permitted to go i school with non gays..... Or where gays can't be treated by straight nurses ..... There were insane Jim Crow laws.... And to say gays are subjected to that level now is kinda over the top. Yeah 20 years ago was different but they still were able to conduct their lives normally. Like anyones bedroom activity it should be hidden. I wish everyone would do more hiding their personal business.
(06-11-2015, 05:25 PM)MrRager Wrote: Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact millions of people ridicule homosexuals for arbitrary reasons. It has nothing to do with the intense bullying they receive since we've allowed religion to run the country.

They only commit suicide because they're insecure.

I can't believe you even typed this out. Mike has a legitimate point. It's a very complex issue, and I doubt the "bullying" is much of an issue.. The definition of bullying used to mean something.... Now I am bullying someone if you speak directly. It's a joke.
(06-11-2015, 05:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Jim crow laws?   That's quite a jump there ....  Show me where gays are not permitted to go i school with non gays.....  Or where gays can't be treated by straight nurses .....  There were insane Jim Crow laws.... And to say gays are subjected to that level now is kinda over the top.   Yeah 20 years ago was different but they still were able to conduct their lives normally.    Like anyones bedroom activity it should be hidden.   I wish everyone would do more hiding their personal business.

He didn't equate them, he said we will look back on this the same way we look back on Jim Crow laws. There is a difference. Build your straw man elsewhere.

(06-11-2015, 05:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can't believe you even typed this out.   Mike has a legitimate point.   It's a very complex issue, and I doubt the "bullying" is much of an issue..    The definition of bullying used to mean something.... Now I am bullying someone if you speak directly.   It's a joke.

Actually, external influences have a lot to do with this sort of thing. The way society views someone and their reactions to them as a result play a huge role in the risk of suicide.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-11-2015, 05:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can't believe you even typed this out.   Mike has a legitimate point.   It's a very complex issue, and I doubt the "bullying" is much of an issue..    The definition of bullying used to mean something.... Now I am bullying someone if you speak directly.   It's a joke.

And I have a legitimate point. If half of society didn't view homosexuality as some evil "sin" and accepted it, I'd wager there would be less ridicule and suicide. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
MrRager

And I have a legitimate point. If half of society didn't view homosexuality as some evil "sin" and accepted it, I'd wager there would be less ridicule and suicide.
------

over 160k kids per day don't go to school because they are being bullied.

Roughly 5k per year commit suicide, of those it's estimated that about 1500 of them are gay.

This isn't the 50's anymore, It's cool to be gay and have a gay friend.
You're excuses are becoming outdated.

Are you sure there isn't another reason?

PS I thought the majority already accepted gays and was ready to allow same-sex marriage. At least that's what BMorePat tells us from the polls.

Which is it? Society is not accepting or it is?
(06-11-2015, 05:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Jim crow laws?   That's quite a jump there ....  Show me where gays are not permitted to go i school with non gays.....  Or where gays can't be treated by straight nurses .....  There were insane Jim Crow laws.... And to say gays are subjected to that level now is kinda over the top.   Yeah 20 years ago was different but they still were able to conduct their lives normally.    Like anyones bedroom activity it should be hidden.   I wish everyone would do more hiding their personal business.

I wish people would spend less time looking into everyone's personal business.  Then, once they stop doing that, they can stop worrying whether or not today's prejudices and injustices stack up against those of the past. Unless a person has lived it, they have no idea. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(06-11-2015, 04:59 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Can you back that up with something substantial? It just seems like more "bigot" & "homophobe" type of propaganda that you use to try to belittle people that don't share you viewpoint........ Yawn

I didn't say either of those words. If you believe that gay marriage somehow affects your own marriage, you must not have a very secure marriage because there is absolutely no way that gay people getting married has any affect on the union between you and your wife. It's my own opinion of a stupid thing that anti gay marriage people say.

As for the other thing, it may have something to do with the fact that they're still discriminated against. As a teen, that can be quite tough. Despite what Glee has told you, it's still not a cake walk yet for gay teens. Interesting that schools without Gay Student Alliances have twice as many suicide attempts as schools with them...

(06-11-2015, 08:25 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: This isn't the 50's anymore, It's cool to be gay and have a gay friend.
You're excuses are becoming outdated.

Are you sure there isn't another reason?

PS I thought the majority already accepted gays and was ready to allow same-sex marriage. At least that's what BMorePat tells us from the polls.

Which is it? Society is not accepting or it is?

It has only been accepted by over half of the population for 2 or 3 years.

And in certain parts of the country an overwhelming majority oppose equal rights for homosexuals.

You have seen all of the threads around here.  You always post in them.  There are always people claiming that homosexuals are mentally ill and the same as pedophiles or people into bestiality.  

Why can't you be honest about all the discrimination, fear, and hatred pointed toward homosexuals?  I know you have seen it here many times.
(06-11-2015, 08:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why can't you be honest about all the discrimination, fear, and hatred pointed toward homosexuals?  I know you have seen it here many times.

and has been responsible for a decent amount of it.

(06-11-2015, 08:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: As for the other thing, it may have something to do with the fact that they're still discriminated against. As a teen, that can be quite tough. Despite what Glee has told you, it's still not a cake walk yet for gay teens. Interesting that schools without Gay Student Alliances have twice as many suicide attempts as schools with them...

Indeed. To hear of the things said and done to members of the LGBT community at schools, up through college as well, is just appalling. We do talk on here about poll numbers in favor of equality and whatnot for the community, but in truth more of it is mere tolerance than it is acceptance. There is also still a large portion of the population that neither accepts nor tolerates them, and some of those have a way of making things miserable for them.

We have a program at our school, and it exists in other higher education institutes, called Safe Zone. Members of the faculty and staff that are allies of the community are listed on a website and promote their membership somewhere in their office so that if someone has something happen, or just needs to talk, they know we are there for them. Through this I have heard some horrible things that have happened to young men and women on our campus at the hands of some hate filled members of our community. Some of them have come from membership of a campus community called Cru, as well as some of the fraternities and sororities. There is organized hate occurring on our campus, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened on others as well. No matter the level of support someone may have, things like that can make someone feel despondent.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Not really,  Yea minorities can vote and interracial marriage is no longer illegal.  But there is no denying that the LGBT's civil rights are being withheld.  I know many like you want to pretend that it's not a big deal, but then again it doesn't really affect you now does it?

Again future generations are going look back and ridicule and laugh at some of you guys they same way we do they same with those that supported or were indifferent to segregation policies of my parents and grandparents day.

You guys don't want to be on the wrong side of history do you?