Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop Committing to Run when it is not working
In all the offensive stinkers we had this year, in my opinion, our offense insisted on running the ball on most first downs when it was not working at all.

They put McCarron behind the eight ball in the entire first half and third quarter because of this philosophy.

Pittsburgh has a great run defense and a horrible pass defense. Why did we keep running on first down when it simply was not working.

New England does not insist on running when it is clear they can kill the other team by passing almost all the time.

I think of the games we lost this year - except the first Pittsburgh game,  the offense was put in a hole ( and we had awful third quarters) because of this stupid commitment to running on first down even when our O line is getting pushed back three yards and backs cannot even get up field.

When Ds are stacking against the run, use the pass to eventually set up the run- i.e. take what the D is giving you as opposed to this blind commitment that " first we have to establish the run."

Very unimaginative and cost us several games including, in my view, the playoff game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Careful.

The OC calls these plays and he is goat if you have not heard yet.
Total lack of points in the first half cannot be at all contributed to OC.

And I agree with you, the O-Line and Hill were not getting the yardage they needed.
It's too bad that the game had such a dramatic ending, because I also see this playoff game loss as you do, poor offensive calling/execution in first half.
Reply/Quote
Gio should have been featured more in the Pittsburgh game. He was easily better than Hill all year. Why we still continue to commit to Hill as the lead back is beyond me.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Gio should have been featured more in the Pittsburgh game. He was easily better than Hill all year. Why we still continue to commit to Hill as the lead back is beyond me.

That was my thinking. I think we need to run more, and we needed to Saturday. But we needed to be running more with Gio.
Reply/Quote
What happened to the play action?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 04:46 PM)Interceptor Wrote: What happened to the play action?

Doesn't work when your RB finishes the season with 3.6 YPC and only one play of 20+ yards (Week 17).

Play action only works when they actually respect your running back's ability to run. (Or hold onto the ball.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think Gio had 1 carry in the first half for 12 yards. I wonder what goes in his head at that point, like wtf, it's the playoffs.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
How many were stacked in the box?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
There were 17 first down plays run by the Bengals vs. Pitt before the 4th quarter 9 runs, 7 Passes, and 1 AJ fumble.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 05:05 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think Gio had 1 carry in the first half for 12 yards. I wonder what goes in his head at that point, like wtf, it's the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure a Steelers  helmet went into his head.
Reply/Quote