Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stopping the Kansas City Offense
Okay, it’s up to Lou Anarumo. The stage is his. The Kansas City Chiefs’ high powered offense might be the best team he’s ever faced as a defensive coordinator. We know what Patrick Mahomes can do. We know what Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce bring to the table. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is excellent. We know Eric Bieniemy is a master offensive strategist.

However, the Chiefs have a weakness on offense: They fall apart when their game plan gets blown up. I offer the most recent Super Bowl as proof. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers provide the template for defeating Kansas City: Torment their offensive linemen. Push them around. Get them moving backward. Get those five guys off their game and Patrick Mahomes will be a sitting duck and he’ll be too busy running for his life to throw the ball anywhere but out of bounds.

The rest of the AFC West doesn’t play Kansas City that way. Tampa Bay smacked the Chiefs around. The Bengals need to do the same.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Or what the Bills have done - they were specifically built to beat the Chiefs as we were specifically built to beat the Steelers and Ravens.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 09:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Okay, it’s up to Lou Anarumo.  The stage is his.  The Kansas City Chiefs’ high powered offense might be the best team he’s ever faced as a defensive coordinator.  We know what Patrick Mahomes can do.  We know what Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce bring to the table.  Clyde Edwards-Helaire is excellent.  We know Eric Bieniemy is a master offensive strategist.

However, the Chiefs have a weakness on offense: They fall apart when their game plan gets blown up.  I offer the most recent Super Bowl as proof.  The Tampa Bay Buccaneers provide the template for defeating Kansas City: Torment their offensive linemen.  Push them around.  Get them moving backward.  Get those five guys off their game and Patrick Mahomes will be a sitting duck and he’ll be too busy running for his life to throw the ball anywhere but out of bounds.

The rest of the AFC West doesn’t play Kansas City that way.  Tampa Bay smacked the Chiefs around.  The Bengals need to do the same.

It would be a sight for sore eyes if the Bengals manhandled the Chiefs O-line.

Would make it very hard to temper expectations afterwards as well. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Redzone defense. The Bengals need to apply pressure and close on passing lanes in the redzone for force field goals. KC is just to talented to shut down consistently but if the Bengals can play great redzone defense they have a good chance of winning the game.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
There is no stopping the KC offense. Especially without Reader and Wilson. The Chiefs have scored 34+ points in their last 3 games. The Bengals offense will need to be able to win in a shootout.

Reply/Quote
I said this in another thread, but we absolutely have to stop Kelce. Andy Reid has to be salivating, thinking about how easy it is to exploit us using his tight end. Andrews had a field day against us, with a third string QB. KC has way more weapons than the Ravens too. Pressure pressure pressure, to get Mahomes off of his game. Make him wish he was working at a shoe store.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 09:41 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Or what the Bills have done - they were specifically built to beat the Chiefs as we were specifically built to beat the Steelers and Ravens.

On defense, you are correct.  However, our offense was built to be able to have a shot in shootouts vs elite offenses.  This is when we find out if that plan is working.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 09:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There is no stopping the KC offense. Especially without Reader and Wilson. The Chiefs have scored 34+ points in their last 3 games. The Bengals offense will need to be able to win in a shootout.

Neither Reader nor Wilson have been declared out and Reader can come off COVID list at anytime now especially with the change to 5 days. The team did not release an updated injury report today so let's see what happens.

As to the Chiefs, unlike their prior opponents since the Super bowl (more or less) we can bring the heat from both edges and up the middle - our DL is the strength of the defense. If Hendrickson, Hubbard and Ogunjobi/Hill win their battles Mahomes will be in a situation resembling what happened against Tampa. The big thing then will be for the secondary to do its Jon and for EVERYONE to TACKLE.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 10:30 PM)Joelist Wrote: Neither Reader nor Wilson have been declared out and Reader can come off COVID list at anytime now especially with the change to 5 days. The team did not release an updated injury report today so let's see what happens.

As to the Chiefs, unlike their prior opponents since the Super bowl (more or less) we can bring the heat from both edges and up the middle - our DL is the strength of the defense. If Hendrickson, Hubbard and Ogunjobi/Hill win their battles Mahomes will be in a situation resembling what happened against Tampa. The big thing then will be for the secondary to do its Jon and for EVERYONE to TACKLE.

Wilson is definitely not playing.

It sounds like the hope inside the building is to have him back for the playoffs.

Reply/Quote
Hopefully we have Reader available and don't lose anyone else to COVID.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 09:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Okay, it’s up to Lou Anarumo.  The stage is his.  The Kansas City Chiefs’ high powered offense might be the best team he’s ever faced as a defensive coordinator.  We know what Patrick Mahomes can do.  We know what Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce bring to the table.  Clyde Edwards-Helaire is excellent.  We know Eric Bieniemy is a master offensive strategist.

However, the Chiefs have a weakness on offense: They fall apart when their game plan gets blown up.  I offer the most recent Super Bowl as proof.  The Tampa Bay Buccaneers provide the template for defeating Kansas City: Torment their offensive linemen.  Push them around.  Get them moving backward.  Get those five guys off their game and Patrick Mahomes will be a sitting duck and he’ll be too busy running for his life to throw the ball anywhere but out of bounds.

The rest of the AFC West doesn’t play Kansas City that way.  Tampa Bay smacked the Chiefs around.  The Bengals need to do the same.

The only way is gonna be pressure. Tons on pressure. I'm hoping to hold them under 30, and hope Burrow and the boys light it up again...
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 10:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Wilson is definitely not playing.

It sounds like the hope inside the building is to have him back for the playoffs.

I was hoping the Browns game. If it's a win and in game , I can see him giving it a go..
Reply/Quote
It's all about getting to Mahomes. That's it. Disrupt his playing and KC tanks.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 10:51 PM)Benton Wrote: It's all about getting to Mahomes. That's it. Disrupt his playing and KC tanks.

It worked for the Giants in both Super Bowls against Tom Brady. Atlanta's mistake was sitting back on a sizable lead playing not-to-lose. 
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 09:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There is no stopping the KC offense. Especially without Reader and Wilson. The Chiefs have scored 34+ points in their last 3 games. The Bengals offense will need to be able to win in a shootout.

Voice of reason

I concur
Reply/Quote
Using the Super Bowl as our blueprint would be nice if they were missing three starters on their offensive line. We may get some pressure but you can’t expect to generate that kind of pressure. What can you do? Well early in the season teams were playing two high safeties or bracketing Kelce and Hill on 3rd down and trying to force Mahomes to take check downs or make mistakes. Since a bout 5 weeks ago they have figured out how to attack that so that’s probably out the window, so then what do we do?

You cheat. It’s not me being funny I am being 100% serious in that you play press man with two high and you hold like a mother at the line. You use the Legion of Book theory that they won’t call it every time and you essentially frustrate them into either bad throws,a hold assisted turnovers, or you get them into the red zone where you have a chance of holding them to 3. The other thing I do is I don’t match personnel, I play Nickel or lighter personnel and I bait Reid into running. We are thin at linebacker anyways so I play to that and hope I can convince them to run and go for a lower scoring run heavy game where we can steal a possession late.
Reply/Quote
Having Reader would be a huge boost.

That said, very doubtful we hold them under 30. They've scored at least 33 on every team in our division. So we need Burrow to step up and show he belongs in the conversation with Mahomes.

One bit of good news? The last time the Chiefs were on the road against a non-division foe, they only scored 3 points (at Tennessee).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 11:28 PM)Au165 Wrote: Using the Super Bowl as our blueprint would be nice if they were missing three starters on their offensive line. We may get some pressure but you can’t expect to generate that kind of pressure. What can you do? Well early in the season teams were playing two high safeties or bracketing Kelce and Hill on 3rd down and trying to force Mahomes to take check downs or make mistakes. Since a bout 5 weeks ago they have figured out how to attack that so that’s probably out the window, so then what do we do?

You cheat. It’s not me being funny I am being 100% serious in that you play press man with two high and you hold like a mother at the line. You use the Legion of Book theory that they won’t call it every time and you essentially frustrate them into either bad  throws,a hold assisted turnovers, or you get them into the red zone where you have a chance of holding them to 3. The other thing I do is I don’t match personnel, I play Nickel or lighter personnel and I bait Reid into running. We are thin at linebacker anyways so I play to that and hope I can convince them to run and go for a lower scoring run heavy game where we can steal a possession late.

I agree to a point. But we cannot make terrible mistakes, have to be good at it if we are interfering. Who are the refs BTW?

We need to hit Mahomes, hit Kelce, bump him, chip him and cover him like glue with multiple players while keeping Hill from beating
us deep with his speed as he is an outright freak. Pringle might have a big day or Hardman take away their best players in Kelce and 
Hill. I know it is easier said than done. 

In the end you are correct as usual Au165, need to frustrate the hell out of the Chiefs Offense. Their OL is better than that of the 
Superbowl by far as you note, but we also are a very good DL this season. Keep this game as low scoring as possible and we can 
win it. If not, we probably lose playing catch up late as has happened when we let teams score more than 25.
Reply/Quote

Here's an interesting factoid about the Chiefs.  They have scored 21 or more points in 10 of their games this year.  Out of those 10 games, 8 were against teams in the bottom half of the league in scoring defense.  So, only twice have they scored 21+ against a team in the top half of the league in scoring defense.  In one of those games, they scored 22 against Denver, but that includes a Pick 6, so Philly was the only team with a Top 16 scoring defense that they put 21+ on this year.  
Reply/Quote