Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miscarriage of Justice
(07-19-2018, 04:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I get that, but I don't understand how trying to kill a kid and then nearly killing 2 more people when fleeing from that first crime doesn't warrant a harsher sentence without extenuating circumstances?

I am pretty sure the term "perfect storm" refers to extenuating circumstances.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2018, 11:52 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Her sentence should be for what she did not what she will do.

It is for what she did.  She suffered some sort of psychotic event brought on by a "perfect storm" of circumstances.  We don't punish people for that as much as a planned crime of violence.

In this case a greater punishment would not act as a deterrent for either this lady or any other potential criminal.  She did almost 2 years in jail.  
Reply/Quote
There's a good reason we don't sentence people by public opinion otherwise we might still be hanging starving children for stealing apples.. Not to mention how over flowing nails and prisons would be more than they already are in some places .
The general public isn't usually privy to all the court proceedings that happen day to day. We typically get one reporter's slanted views and with the demise of local newspapers it just gets worse and worse.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote