Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategy at the End of First Half
I haven't seen this addressed yet in Jungle Noise so if I missed it my apologies. I'm just curious why this team is so opposed to attempting to put a drive together at the end of the first half. In the second quarter yesterday they got the ball with a minute left and a timeout in their pocket. Instead of going hurry up they ran two plays draining about 45 seconds off the clock, a quick third play followed by the timeout, then chucked a hail mary. Why are they so opposed to trying to put together a drive at the end of the half? This doesn't just apply to this game either. Maybe they're just so used to Marvin burning all of the timeouts in the first quarter that they don't even put together a plan for these situations.
Reply/Quote
Marvin knew he had to get back to the locker room, or the loose meat sandwiches would get cold, and Paulie G would get cranky.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:11 PM)NKYRob Wrote: I haven't seen this addressed yet in Jungle Noise so if I missed it my apologies.  I'm just curious why this team is so opposed to attempting to put a drive together at the end of the first half.  In the second quarter yesterday they got the ball with a minute left and a timeout in their pocket.  Instead of going hurry up they ran two plays draining about 45 seconds off the clock, a quick third play followed by the timeout, then chucked a hail mary.  Why are they so opposed to trying to put together a drive at the end of the half? This doesn't just apply to this game either.  Maybe they're just so used to Marvin burning all of the timeouts in the first quarter that they don't even put together a plan for these situations.

I was pissed beyond comprehension with that.  Absolutely no excuse to not get at least a FG at that point.  The passing game was working, and Dalton was hitting every pass......and we start off with a run. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The last two minutes of a given half are microcosms of the Lewis tenure here. Mismanaged, jittery, frustrating, spastic and overall abominable.
Reply/Quote
Even Gruden and the other guy were commenting on it but somehow though they managed to get into hail mary distance. But if there was more urgency from the get go, they might have gotten into fg range. Then again with Nuge, they would have needed another 5-10 yards than normal.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Nothing new. Only reason we scored against Cleveland was because Hue called time outs. Marvin was fine running out clock and sitting on his time outs before that. Marvin just has no urgency at end of half.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: Nothing new. Only reason we scored against Cleveland was because Hue called time outs. Marvin was fine running out clock and sitting on his time outs before that. Marvin just has no urgency at end of half.

It makes you wonder how those drills run in practice...

MARVIN: "Okay Andy you look over at the sideline in about 10 seconds... good...  now Z, you squat down and look under one of the benches like you lost something... excellent....  now me... I'll just stand blankly staring into space with my mouth agape...  yes!  Good job! Nice work fellas!" **claps**
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Cause Marvin Lewis is a Pussie...simple as that.
Reply/Quote
I'd have been more upset if it was something that hasn't been going on for ages with Lewis. Right up there with playing prevent offense immediately in the second half after dominating the first half. Or using TO in stupid situations.

Marvin is easily the worst game manager in the NFL, which is crazy because you'd have expected he'd have learned some of it by now, but yup. Been happening for over a decade, and will keep happening.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think the frustration of all of it is that we only lost by one point. Had we intended to at least get into FG range, we could've won the game.

The indecisiveness of the Lewis was the most frustrating thing to watch. Either go for points or don't. It's that ***** simple.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 05:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'd have been more upset if it was something that hasn't been going on for ages with Lewis. Right up there with playing prevent offense immediately in the second half after dominating the first half. Or using TO in stupid situations.

Marvin is easily the worst game manager in the NFL, which is crazy because you'd have expected he'd have learned some of it by now, but yup. Been happening for over a decade, and will keep happening.
The lack of urgency and chaotic unprepared state the team shows is a stamp of how he is.

This team under Lewis is a smoke and mirror show no matter who is the supporting cast.

The guy just can't coach a playoff winnable team.

Don't the fans and the city deserve better?

Forget the football side of this anymore.

Re-upping Marvin is a big middle finger to them as a whole in my opinion.

We're the best of the losers for multiple seasons.

Whoop de frickin doo !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: I was pissed beyond comprehension with that.  Absolutely no excuse to not get at least a FG at that point.  The passing game was working, and Dalton was hitting every pass......and we start off with a run. Mellow

This is exactly what I don't understand about the play calling. We went right down the field passing the ball to Eifert on the first drive. Then we ignored him for the rest of the first quarter. Why do we stop doing something when it works?  Pitt and New England keep throwing it if their run game isn't working. I know the offensive line is bad, but if you run the hurry up and keep the defense from substituting it keeps the d off balance. 

Does this coaching staff just throw a game plan together and run it whether or not its working because they can't make adjustments? I feel sorry for Marvin because he has done a ton for this organization and I know he cares, its just his style of football seems like it is losing steam.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:11 PM)NKYRob Wrote: I haven't seen this addressed yet in Jungle Noise so if I missed it my apologies.  I'm just curious why this team is so opposed to attempting to put a drive together at the end of the first half.  In the second quarter yesterday they got the ball with a minute left and a timeout in their pocket.  Instead of going hurry up they ran two plays draining about 45 seconds off the clock, a quick third play followed by the timeout, then chucked a hail mary.  Why are they so opposed to trying to put together a drive at the end of the half? This doesn't just apply to this game either.  Maybe they're just so used to Marvin burning all of the timeouts in the first quarter that they don't even put together a plan for these situations.

Just one of like a hundred instances of horrible coaching this season, not surprising really. Status quo 
Reply/Quote
I chalk it up to hard to please fans attempting to blame Marvin for everything. In the game day thread before the drive everybody that "knows" how Marvin coaches was saying kneel down or run, run, run. He does run to the outside on first down to see if we can catch them in prevent and pick up a good deal of yardage. Doesn't work very well, and we pass on every down after that. As to the urgency: I'd have to ask the OC and the QB, as to why they didn't put a little fire under the team.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:18 PM)JumboTron Wrote: The last two minutes of a given half are microcosms of the Lewis tenure here.  Mismanaged, jittery, frustrating, spastic and overall abominable.

Even the Hail Mary that worked against the Browns was the only option because they suck ass at the 2 minute drill
Reply/Quote
It's nothing new. Bengals have been like this since... 03?

I'm never surprised.

If we have a lead, we don't want to give the opposing team any sort of boost before the half with a turnover, kneel the ball and go into the half.

If we are tied, or a single possession ahead/behind, we wouldn't want to risk giving the other team any sort of momentum, kneel the ball and go into the half.

If we are far behind, we need to recuperate in the locker room, kneel the ball and go into the half.

No need to ever do anything in the final 2 minutes of the first half... EVER
Reply/Quote
No hurry, no urgency, and no will to win!
Reply/Quote
Our coaches play to not loose not to win. Not working too well.
Did not want a turnover. Pick six.
They are not aggressive enough
We get the ball back after half time. So why push it now.

Wow we had a time out left at the end of a half what do we do with it.
Marvin is horable at game managment.

Take your pick
Reply/Quote
Anybody remember when Palmer never took the free shot and always knelt instead.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 11:44 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Anybody remember when Palmer never took the free shot and always knelt instead.

lol, often resulting in 2nd and 11 when the guy got back onside before the snap. Idiots.
Reply/Quote