Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stronger Dalton?
I saw someone touch on this in another thread. Is the season being the way it is right now actually a good thing for Andy? He seems to be playing pretty damn good for as poor as the line has been. A good line and tons of weapons have always been the excuse as to why Andy looks good at times but now he seems to be carrying this team or at least trying. If the line can keep him from getting killed back there, will he be a stronger player going forward. Thoughts.
Reply/Quote
I've said it a few times.....I think the adversity of 2014 made him a better player.  So....yeah....this year is probably making him even better.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Dalton has been very good this season. In the first two weeks, the Bengals led the league in drops and yet Dalton was still doing good. He has a 3:1 TD to INT ratio. Completing 67% of his throws, which is the highest of his career. He is carrying this offense in every way. Whether calling out different plays to literally carrying the team on his back. Heck, the team looks so much better when he's out there doing no huddle and making the calls himself.

And people forget, Dalton didn't have as much time with LaFell. Dalton has been one of our best players and arguably the best player on this team right now. The biggest issue is blocking and play calling. Too many times you see Dalton have to move out of the pocket and too many times you see receivers run the same route. Heck. There's been numerous times where it takes the Bengals forever to throw a pass more than 5 yards. There's a lot of pre-determined and check down throws early on. Which isn't a bad thing, but you can tell play calling is holding this team back.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Been so impressed with Dalton this year. Seriously if before the season you told people we would be 2-4 and the scoring offense was awful then you would assume the board would be filled with 'bench dalton for AJMc' threads!

We've all talked about the various things the offense is struggling with :

- poor pass protection on the right side
- lack of consistent running game
- 2 new WR's
- No Eifert
- Rookie OC
- we're playing behind in most games and forced to go one dimensional

...but he's still there playing hard and posting close to a 100 QBR.

I asked before the season in a poll whether people thought last year really was the birth of Andy 2.0 or just a 1 season anomaly.

Think he's answering that question. For the 2nd half of season would love to see how he goes with Eifert back and a 4.5 yard average running game.
Reply/Quote
This is an outstanding thread for many reasons. First of all Andy Dalton has won at least one game, the first one against the Jets, pretty much all on his own. Cincinnati fans have been waiting for Andy to be able to put the entire offense on his shoulders and lead them to a win and he's proven he can do it. Even against New England he played extremely well, shredding Matt Patricia's pass defense for most of the game. If I were Marvin -- and I must give Wyche's Warrior credit for this idea -- I would let Andy call the offensive plays while Ken Zampese evaluates the opposing defense from the sideline. Andy nearly always calls the right audible at the line so I think he should be given the latitude to call all the plays, period. Ken Zampese might be a good quarterback coach but he's no Hue Jackson -- or even Jay Gruden -- when it comes to being an offensive coordinator.

Anyone notice Andy's mechanics lately? I have -- and they're amazing. Passes of any length are on target and perfectly timed; all the receivers have to do is put their hands out and grab!
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 07:43 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is an outstanding thread for many reasons.  First of all Andy Dalton has won at least one game, the first one against the Jets, pretty much all on his own.  Cincinnati fans have been waiting for Andy to be able to put the entire offense on his shoulders and lead them to a win and he's proven he can do it.  Even against New England he played extremely well, shredding Matt Patricia's pass defense for most of the game.  If I were Marvin -- and I must give Wyche's Warrior credit for this idea -- I would let Andy call the offensive plays while Ken Zampese evaluates the opposing defense from the sideline.  Andy nearly always calls the right audible at the line so I think he should be given the latitude to call all the plays, period.  Ken Zampese might be a good quarterback coach but he's no Hue Jackson -- or even Jay Gruden -- when it comes to being an offensive coordinator.

Anyone notice Andy's mechanics lately?  I have -- and they're amazing.  Passes of any length are on target and perfectly timed; all the receivers have to do is put their hands out and grab!

Yes his mechanics are amazing right now!  And I'm with you, he has progressed so much I'd put everything in his hands, just like the Colts did with Peyton Manning.  His football IQ is so good so why not let him run the show?  It's his team so let him have it.  Zampese can still be of value but like you say in between possessions in breaking down what the defense is doing.

Dalton has gotten to the point he deserves the opportunity to completely lead, not only by position but by decision.  He's earned it and and the offensive players respect his abilities in that regard.
Reply/Quote
we have a top ten QB. Andy is playing at a very high level and if we was not doing so we would be at 1-5 or even 0-6.

Problem with O is not OC or lack of time with Wrs or no Eifert. It is the awful blocking by the O line both on running plays and pass pro.

Whit is one of my favorite Bengals ever but time is catching up with him . Bolling has been above average. The other three , including Zeitler have been below average or just plain awful in the case of Bodine and Og.

Og is a rookie and he may just need more time. I do not know what has happened to Zeitler.

Beating a dead horse but it is sheer stupidity that we have not found/drafted or signed a quality center for over 10 years.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 10:21 AM)bengals67 Wrote: we have a top ten QB. Andy is playing at a very high level and if we was not doing so we would be at 1-5 or even 0-6.

Problem with O is not OC or lack of time with Wrs or no Eifert. It is the awful blocking by the O line both on running plays and pass pro.

Whit is one of my favorite Bengals ever but time is catching up with him . Bolling has been above average. The other three , including Zeitler have been below average or just plain awful in the case of Bodine and Og.

Og is a rookie and he may just need more time. I do not know what has happened to Zeitler.

Beating a dead horse but it is sheer stupidity that we have not found/drafted or signed a quality center for over 10 years.

Bodine IS quality, just ask his line coach. Ninja

Reply/Quote
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Andy should be a redheaded incredible Hulk by now.
Reply/Quote
Dalton is a top 10 QB in the NFL. We really can't ask for much more from him. He's been better than Aaron Rodgers for the last year. He's better than most of the young QB's in the NFL (Bortles, Winston, Mariota, Carr, etc...).
Reply/Quote
I've always thought Andy was good and IMO, he's always been a key player for us from the moment he was drafted. Even in 2014 - easily his worst season, he still carried the team or at least played well in almost every win.

I agree with Wyche though, the adversity he faced that season has propelled him to a new level. His pocket awareness is now a strength where it was arguably a weakness a few years ago. He gets more zip on intermediate throws, and I'm also impressed with how he can now throw ropes on the run.

Plus the guy has always had heart. I'm honestly proud that I've always backed the guy, because he's now a borderline elite QB, and will possibly break every relevant franchise passing record and go down as the best QB in Bengals history.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
If he wins a superbowl he will go down as the best Bengals QB ever, he needs to accomplish this soon and shut everyone up.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
He looks more and more like Drew Brees every week. His command of the offense and his understanding of defenses is getting to that level. If he has time to throw he can carve defenses up. Give him a healthy 85 and he will be that much better because he will have his move the chains guy.

He is why if the defense can get back to playing better and the oline can improve this team can be scary. I know big if's right now but 14 gives me hope.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 01:38 PM)brian5562 Wrote: He looks more and more like Drew Brees every week. His command of the offense and his understanding of defenses is getting to that level. If he has time to throw he can carve defenses up. Give him a healthy 85 and he will be that much better because he will have his move the chains guy.

He is why if the defense can get back to playing better and the oline can improve this team can be scary. I know big if's right now but 14 gives me hope.

I can't help it, but I still think Chad every time I read 85. A healthy, in-his-prime Chad and/or Eifert would both be very helpful!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 01:38 PM)brian5562 Wrote: He looks more and more like Drew Brees every week. His command of the offense and his understanding of defenses is getting to that level. If he has time to throw he can carve defenses up. Give him a healthy 85 and he will be that much better because he will have his move the chains guy.

we need to go back to the quick attack.. We don't have the OL for these deeper drops it seems... We need the ball in and out of daltons hands quickly cause the OL just is not close to hacking it this year.

I think this might be a result of play design with the new OC.  but Dalton has looked sharp we he actually can get rid of the ball.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 03:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: I've said it a few times.....I think the adversity of 2014 made him a better player.  So....yeah....this year is probably making him even better.
YES! He will be super, fantastic, outstanding, and unmatched after playing with this O-line and OC. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 03:58 PM)Derrick Wrote: YES! He will be super, fantastic, outstanding, and unmatched after playing with this O-line and OC. Sarcasm

I meant mentally also. A season and line like this can make a QB like David Carr or Drew Brees, Im glad he's looking Breezy.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2016, 01:22 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I meant mentally also. A season and line like this can make a QB like David Carr or Drew Brees, Im glad he's looking Breezy.

That's what I was alluding to as well.....I don't worry about stats....outside of wins.  I'm talking eyeball test....and mental toughness.  He should be tougher than leather by season's end....if he makes it.

Reply/Quote
If only the O-line could protect him right now and give plays time to develop. Geez!! Their W-L record would most likely be flip-flopped and we'd be in great shape for the next few games. I don't see how they are going to fix the O-line and defensive weaknesses at this point, but good gawd I hope they figure it out!
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 05:12 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Dalton has been very good this season. In the first two weeks, the Bengals led the league in drops and yet Dalton was still doing good. He has a 3:1 TD to INT ratio. Completing 67% of his throws, which is the highest of his career. He is carrying this offense in every way. Whether calling out different plays to literally carrying the team on his back. Heck, the team looks so much better when he's out there doing no huddle and making the calls himself.

And people forget, Dalton didn't have as much time with LaFell. Dalton has been one of our best players and arguably the best player on this team right now. The biggest issue is blocking and play calling. Too many times you see Dalton have to move out of the pocket and too many times you see receivers run the same route. Heck. There's been numerous times where it takes the Bengals forever to throw a pass more than 5 yards. There's a lot of pre-determined and check down throws early on. Which isn't a bad thing, but you can tell play calling is holding this team back.

^This^

Andy Dalton is flat out carrying this team and has two anchor chains on - the horrible O-line and awful OC. Only a top tier QB could even begin to do what Andy has done thus far under such a handicap !!

Zampese has no idea what he's doing, it's very obvious, hell Marvin has even said it. "Yes I miss Hue" 

Please let Andy call the plays.
Reply/Quote