Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study Ball with Kurt Warner- Joe Burrow Week 1
Kurt Warner breaks down the week 1 film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B32ROHKoW9M&feature=youtu.be

I think theres a lot of opportunity there next time we see the Steelers.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 03:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Kurt Warner breaks down the week 1 film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B32ROHKoW9M&feature=youtu.be

I think theres a lot of opportunity there next time we see the Steelers.

Great breakdown. I think anyone who saw the game would agree Burrow was rusty and didn't play like his normal self. Hopefully he comes out more focused/ready the rest of the year. 
Reply/Quote
That was excellent. It tells me that it’s a huge dichotomy on preseason games. The team was rusty. JMHO practicing with the Rams not enough. I understand the risks. I do think Pittsburg was really ready and despite the Bengals and Joe playing so poorly they should have won. I betcha both McVay and Taylor play their guys more next year in preseason. The first game counts. The teams looking the sharpest the Bills, KC, & Bucs got their starters more work. It’s damn if you do damn if you don’t. Calling Tony and 740Bengal
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Injuries are going to happen. You can sit or play a guy all preseason and come Week 1 he might just have a fluke play where he tears his pec. I understanding trying to limit them when they don't matter, but there's a line between intelligently limiting risk and failing to get your team prepared because you're scared. We saw the latter.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 05:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Injuries are going to happen. You can sit or play a guy all preseason and come Week 1 he might just have a fluke play where he tears his pec. I understanding trying to limit them when they don't matter, but there's a line between intelligently limiting risk and failing to get your team prepared because you're scared. We saw the latter.

I’m obviously one of the most pro-Taylor guys on here but I’d have played for sure everybody a little and some more
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 10:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m obviously one of the most pro-Taylor guys on here but I’d have played for sure everybody a little and some more

I’m sure you saw it, but Burrow mentioned that he wanted to play in the pre-season this year. His appendectomy foiled that, but he planned on approaching the coaches about it.

I won’t be surprised at all to see the starters get a little bit of pre-season play next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 10:56 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m sure you saw it, but Burrow mentioned that he wanted to play in the pre-season this year. His appendectomy foiled that, but he planned on approaching the coaches about it.

I won’t be surprised at all to see the starters get a little bit of pre-season play next year.

A rookie and 3 new OL FA or 4 new starters? No brainer. I’d have played the last preseason game the entire first quarter

Reply/Quote
I haven't watched the entire thing yet, but I saw a lot of this on All 22. Love Kurt's breakdown.

Here is the thing: I fooled myself into thinking several things that were just not right. For one, I didn't think Joe spending 5 days in a hospital with what we now know was a ruptured spleen was a big deal. He missed a very critical nearly four weeks getting his timing down with his guys and reading cover two defenses in practice. Had he not had any spleen issues, I am sure he would have been much sharper, like he showed in the second half.

Yes, there are other issues. Zac had some poor play calls and some questionable moves throughout the game. Volson got a rude introduction to the NFL. Jonah Williams struggled big time. Run game started well, but became predictable (again) and lost any hope it had of controlling the game.

Overall, though, I am encouraged that the team will bounce back against Dallas and will still end up 3-1 at what used to be the quarter pole.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2022, 08:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I haven't watched the entire thing yet, but I saw a lot of this on All 22. Love Kurt's breakdown.

Here is the thing: I fooled myself into thinking several things that were just not right. For one, I didn't think Joe spending 5 days in a hospital with what we now know was a ruptured spleen was a big deal. He missed a very critical nearly four weeks getting his timing down with his guys and reading cover two defenses in practice. Had he not had any spleen issues, I am sure he would have been much sharper, like he showed in the second half.

Yes, there are other issues. Zac had some poor play calls and some questionable moves throughout the game. Volson got a rude introduction to the NFL. Jonah Williams struggled big time. Run game started well, but became predictable (again) and lost any hope it had of controlling the game.

Overall, though, I am encouraged that the team will bounce back against Dallas and will still end up 3-1 at what used to be the quarter pole.

All that you said yet we should have won. Amazing really. It’s a 17 game season. This was a pencilled in win. Dallas really wasn’t. So I’m good if we beat Dallas. But as has been bantered around. The Bengals are going to get more attention from teams and like Tomlin who’s lost 3 straight to Cincy there’s plenty of revenge out there. They’d better buckle up

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 10:56 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m sure you saw it, but Burrow mentioned that he wanted to play in the pre-season this year. His appendectomy foiled that, but he planned on approaching the coaches about it.

It will never happen, but I think the NFL should consider making one of the preseason games "flag" football. 

You can use the first two for evaluations and the last one for starters to get true speed reps in while limiting injury to an extent. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2022, 09:31 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: All that you said yet we should have won. Amazing really. It’s a 17 game season. This was a pencilled in win. Dallas really wasn’t. So I’m good if we beat Dallas. But as has been bantered around. The Bengals are going to get more attention from teams and like Tomlin who’s lost 3 straight to Cincy there’s plenty of revenge out there. They’d better buckle up

Cowboys weren't expected to be great this season. They lost their LG in FA, they lost their LT Tyron Smith in training camp. They lost Amari Cooper and Cedrick Wilson Jr at WR and Michael Gallup tore his ACL Week 17 last year. Their owner was rumored to already be courting a new HC (Sean Payton) before the season even started. Even before all those losses they went 1-3 against playoff teams (I refuse to accept 7th seeds as playoff teams) last year and got stomped in the postseason (down 23-7 with 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter, Dak is good at garbage time stats).

I very much expected them to beat the Cowboys.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2022, 05:37 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That was excellent. It tells me that it’s a huge dichotomy on preseason games. The team was rusty. JMHO practicing with the Rams not enough. I understand the risks. I do think Pittsburg was really ready and despite the Bengals and Joe playing so poorly they should have won. I betcha both McVay and Taylor play their guys more next year in preseason. The first game counts. The teams looking the sharpest the Bills, KC, & Bucs got their starters more work. It’s damn if you do damn if you don’t. Calling Tony and 740Bengal

I agree with more preseason reps....but then MN did the same thing and it worked out well for them. There were a quite a few teams that elected to rest starters, I'm not sure which ones, but I know us, LAR, MN for sure did.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2022, 11:28 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with more preseason reps....but then MN did the same thing and it worked out well for them. There were a quite a few teams that elected to rest starters, I'm not sure which ones, but I know us, LAR, MN for sure did.

A couple ps reps probably would have helped. What would have helped more was if Burrow didn't try and play hero ball and just take what the D was giving in the first half, as he did later on in the game. 

The game would have turned out completely different. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
P.S. I love the xQBC channel but i can't believe that after all this time, Warner still has such terrible audio mixing and he has less than 50k subs. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2022, 11:31 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A couple ps reps probably would have helped. What would have helped more was if Burrow didn't try and play hero ball and just take what the D was giving in the first half, as he did later on in the game. 

That's true as well. He's gonna have to learn a little patience this year.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2022, 11:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: That's true as well. He's gonna have to learn a little patience this year.

He's stubborn, just like my wife. I tell her all the time to calm down and just take what the D is giving.   Nervous

Reply/Quote
All I know is - take the over/under on Haynde Hurst yards and catches the next time we play the Steelers.

The middle of the field was WIDE open and he was open all game. You have to think the coaches will obviously see this when they watch the tape.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2022, 11:31 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A couple ps reps probably would have helped. What would have helped more was if Burrow didn't try and play hero ball and just take what the D was giving in the first half, as he did later on in the game. 

I'm not sure I'd call it playing hero ball. I'm not disagreeing with you in he/them being more patient, though. Burrow had possibly the best WR group in the NFL last year and look to be ranked the top group this season. He didn't play in the preseason which even playing 2-3 series would have been extremely beneficial so, naturally, he went with what was very comfortable to him.

They have to run the ball well on 1st down and then find ways to get quick hitters to the WR's.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for posting this. I don't mind Warner but The QB School is my jam. O'Sullivan's breakdown of Burrow versus KC last year got an A+++ from me. Really compelling stuff. I can't wait for his next vid on (his alma mater!) the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I think last year the offense and Burrow was
So proficient in the big play on offense
JB probably thought that same success would
Carry over to this year.
I think last year 70% of his 1st 10 TDs were for 40 yds
Or more.
Joe is going to have to start accepting a 14 play scoring drive may be the norm this year.
Defenses aren't going to go into Sundays playing
Single coverage 1 safety deep anymore.
Lots of bracket coverages will make Joe have to start
Exposing that underneath stuff
Reply/Quote