Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid Things Marvin Says Thread
Not sure how this hasn't long since been a thing. I'll start us off...

Marvin on why they only added 1 OL worth a damn in the draft:

- - - - - - - - -
Of course, Marvin on halftime adjustments needs to go in the Marv HoF:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-convenes-another-season/4878c63d-aac0-498f-a935-295aa5907659

Quote:So, the ‘adjustment,’ that’s more journalism jargon than truth.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 02:10 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure how this hasn't long since been a thing. I'll start us off...

- - - - - - - - -

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Lewis-convenes-another-season/4878c63d-aac0-498f-a935-295aa5907659

my response to merv would be, We haven't been able to fix stupid in 15 years either. That not only applies to merv but elmer fudd brown as well!!

Reply/Quote
No disrespect intended but this thread is/would have been low hanging fruit since everything that comes out of Marv's mouth is stupid. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
It's a big downer when you realize you probably won't go far with a stupid coach.
Reply/Quote
Here I am, very excited of Free Agents and NFL Draft that just ended. I really like the coaches and players brought in. We got help at a lot of needs areas. The 7-9 Bengals have added Free Agents and players and coaches to get us back into play-offs and go after that play-off win and beyond. Plus we have so many top picks sitting under the Christmas Tree we haven't taken out of the box yet. Kirkpatrick has came on and Dennard starting to and Jackson is a present we have hardly opened yet. Eifert healthy would help. Mixon is still a new present. We have all these WR's like Boyd, Ross, and 3 or 4 others sitting under the tree to take out of the box. We have top picks at O Line that could still produce. So here I am excited and as soon as draft is over we get a Marvin Hate post right away. I wish I had a dollar for every Marvin Hate or Dalton Hate or even Carson Palmer Hate threads posted over the years, I would have more money than Trump.

I'll say I'm still excited having changed my moods from 2017 from disappointed, doubtful to the coaches and free agents making me hopeful. After the draft I started to change to excited but didn't like the face thing, so went with GO BENGALS. So I'm excited. I think it was a good draft and at least a B for Bengals. I liked that we got Big Guys in this draft. Plus we still have draft picks under the tree from past years we haven't played with yet, some having injuries early. You know if Eifert, Ogbuehi, Fisher, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Jackson, Ross, Mixon, Bernard would all get healthy and live up to their high draft picks, some of these toys we haven't even taken out of the boxes yet. So I'm pretty excited about off season. If this team could win 7 games as bad as it was, it could go play-off wins if this team gets healthy and good.

I'll let you people crab and moan in yet another Marvin Hate thread. As for me, I'm too excited over what I think was a good draft when you include free agents LT and LB from Buffalo Bills. I really like the players and coaches added and 7-9 not all that bad. As bad as team was the players found a way to go 7-9. In 2018, this could be a very good team and jump from 7-9 into play-off wins. We don't have 5 rookie O Linemen, which you would never want. We have rookie Price at Center. We have veterans at rest of O Line. We have the coach from Dallas who has built good NFL lines, and I thought Dallas O Line in 2016 was best in NFL. I'm too excited about the presents under the tree and I'll let others go at it in yet another Marvin Hate thread because it's like relatives that show up on Christmas in bad moods trying to ruin the day. I know complaining on old Bengal Site and this site is a constant, but like most NFL Fans, I get excited over Draft and reloading in young talent. I never got excited over TO joining Ocho as fans did, and I knew that wouldn't be a good season. I was excited the next year in 2011 changes and I'm excited now in 2018 changes. I was excited when we got Forrest Gregg of Lombardi, Zimmer of Parcells, and I'm excited Austin of Paterno, Carr, Holmgren, Arians, Urban Meyer, John Harbaugh and Austin of 3 Super Bowls. You can't buy that kind of experience in coaching and it's very rare, like Gregg or Zimmer. Plus the Dallas O Line Coach. Plus Lasor who is no longer interim and is starting his first full year in the draft and bringing in HIS playbook to training camps. On Lasor, this team was 0-2 and set record for fewest points in 6 decades in NFL start. Lasor took over and got 7-7 out of that awful offense. I think this team goes play-offs in 2018, and the weapons to go deep in the play-offs. Yes, I'm excited about my Bengals in 2018. Not last year. When we lost Whitworth and Zeitler I knew we were doomed. I'm amazed Lasor came in and went 7-7 with no blocking. So not one bit excited 2017 draft, but very excited over 2018 off season. 2010 and 2017, I saw Doom coming. 2018, I see team reloading back into 2015 team that started 8-0 before Dalton injury. The window of opportunity for Super Bowl is still open for Dalton, Green, Atkins, Dunlap. GO BENGALS. I wasn't excited going into last year, but I'm very excited about this year. The Buffalo Bills Players will help greatly. That was like when Reds got Morgan, Geronimo, Billingham from Astros. We just got Buffalo Bills good and still young players.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It's tough to fix an o-line in one year. Even Dallas's o-line wasn't done that way. Tyron Smith was drafted in 2011. Travis Frederick went in 2013. Zach Martin was drafted in 2014. Piano man is gone and we have filled two spots, so the direction has started

Imagine the disaster that would have happened if we waited til 46 to address center. They would have been gone. I believe we traded down in 2, because 4 of the 1st 7 picks in round two were offensive lineman taken. Now it could be argued they should have traded up. I'm thinking of Hernandez in particular. But maybe the Giants weren't biting. Besides that, they didn't like Connor Williams, and I think they felt the talent just dropped off at that point
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty happy with it. I think Fisher will do fine at RT, so that puts at 4/5 spots taken care of with RG being up for grabs. We have some young guys who showed a lot of good things at the end of the year so we should be alright.
Reply/Quote
When Lazor changed the blocking scheme the last two weeks of the season we saw some pretty good results, all of this happening with guys playing out of position and bodice still “anchoring” at Center. So I’m with Kevin. Get a grip people. Coaching changes, Free agency and the draft seem to have been pretty good to us this year. There is a lot of guys on the roster to compete for those last two spots and I have to believe Lazor and pollack will get the best out of them.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 05:56 AM)treee Wrote: I'm pretty happy with it. I think Fisher will do fine at RT, so that puts at 4/5 spots taken care of with RG being up for grabs. We have some young guys who showed a lot of good things at the end of the year so we should be alright.

Westerman and Redmond looked good the last two weeks of the season too. . I’m not sure what their PFF grades were but if I remember correctly they were pretty good against Detroit and Baltimore. Not that it’s the be all end all, but I do believe it’s a pretty good sign for the future.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 09:44 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: When Lazor changed the blocking scheme the last two weeks of the season we saw some pretty good results, all of this happening with guys playing out of position and bodice still “anchoring” at Center. So I’m with Kevin. Get a grip people. Coaching changes, Free agency and the draft seem to have been pretty good to us this year. There is a lot of guys on the roster to compete for those last two spots and I have to believe Lazor and pollack will get the best out of them.

(04-29-2018, 09:47 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Westerman and Redmond looked good the last two weeks of the season too. . I’m not sure what their PFF grades were but if I remember correctly they were pretty good against Detroit and Baltimore. Not that it’s the be all end all, but I do believe it’s a pretty good sign for the future.

Yeah but changes happen every year. Coaches, players. As soon as these changes produce something different than the last 15 freaking seasons, i'll believe. Every year it's the same refrain. Every year it's a new batch of excuses why it didn't work out. And here we sit with the same limp-wristed HC that hasn't produced a playoff win in his entire decade and a half tenure. I'll wait...

Needless to say, i won't hold my breath. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 02:10 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure how this hasn't long since been a thing. I'll start us off...

- - - - - - - - -

Marvin's really bought into that "Black Jesus" nickname. Still thinking he'll be turning water into wine.

I get what he's saying, though. Westerman, Fisher, Ogb, and the others have to be coached and made to do their job much better.
Reply/Quote
Oh wow... I predict this thread reaches 100 pages in record time.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 09:56 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote:  And here we sit with the same limp-wristed HC that hasn't produced a playoff win in his entire decade and a half tenure. I'll wait...

"Limp Wristed"?

Really?

Here we are with the same 7th grade playgound commentary that has not produced any logical discussion in the last decade and a half.  Why can't we act like adults around here.

I'll wait...
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 09:56 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah but changes happen every year. Coaches, players. As soon as these changes produce something different than the last 15 freaking seasons, i'll believe. Every year it's the same refrain. Every year it's a new batch of excuses why it didn't work out. And here we sit with the same limp-wristed HC that hasn't produced a playoff win in his entire decade and a half tenure. I'll wait...

Needless to say, i won't hold my breath. 

The Wait and see method is fine. But coming with negative fire one day after what seems to be a pretty good draft that was preceded by an unbengal-like offseason producing more change and excitement than we’ve seen in, well maybe ever around here, doesn’t seem like a wait and see approach.

I get it, people don’t like Marvin. I wanted him gone too. But he’s here and has been a pretty big reason for this offseason being the way it has been. I’m certainly not proclaiming a super bowl, or even a return to the playoffs for that matter. But what is so bad about being excited and optimistic about the changes that have happened, while using the wait and see approach?

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 02:10 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: - - - - - - - - -

Here is an idea.  Why not start a thread about the dumbest myth fans keep repeating here.  This quote is a perfwct example.  Fans keep insisting that marvin said "We don't make second half adjustments" instead of what he actually said.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:06 AM)fredtoast Wrote: "Limp Wristed"?

Really?

Here we are with the same 7th grade playgound commentary that has not produced any logical discussion in the last decade and a half.  Why can't we act like adults around here.

I'll wait...

Logical discussions happen all the time. You know what hasn't happened? A playoff win in the last 15 seasons + 12.

Is "acting like an adult" getting all worked up about the newest batch of draftees and giving them all A and B grades, talking about how great they can be "if"? Is it talking about new coaches like they're going to come in and do something none of the other new coaches have been able to do? Is it forgetting what's happened in Bengaldom over the last 15 seasons + 12 and talking about how this year is going to be different, even though the same jackball that's run the show the last 15 seasons is still running the show this season?

If any of those are answered with a "yes", then i'll happily remain in the 7th grade.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Logical discussions happen all the time. You know what hasn't happened? A playoff win in the last 15 seasons + 12.

Is "acting like an adult" getting all worked up about the newest batch of draftees and giving them all A and B grades, talking about how great they can be "if"? Is it talking about new coaches like they're going to come in and do something none of the other new coaches have been able to do? Is it forgetting what's happened in Bengaldom over the last 15 seasons + 12 and talking about how this year is going to be different, even though the same jackball that's run the show the last 15 seasons is still running the show this season?

If any of those are answered with a "yes", then i'll happily remain in the 7th grade.

Acting like an adult is talking about actual football issues instead of just tossing around homophobic slurs.

Sorry you missed my point.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Is it talking about new coaches like they're going to come in and do something none of the other new coaches have been able to do? ?

How many new Oline coaches with a solid track record have we had in the recent past again? Pollack has already started to transform the Oline and that effort has been spearheaded by Marvin. If not for Marvin, mike brown would have NEVER canned his long time buddy, piano man.

Not only that, looking back, winning 7 games with that Oline was nothing short of a miracle. But some people can’t see the forest for the trees.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:12 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: But what is so bad about being excited and optimistic about the changes that have happened, while using the wait and see approach?

Nothing bad about it if you don't mind the eventuality of the last 15 years +. I really don't begrudge anyone that sentiment. I'm just not buying into the hype anymore, myself. If it wasn't such prevailing mentality on the boards year after year, i wouldn't even bother posting about it. It's just a bit mystifying that so many people fall into the same trap every damn time.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2018, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is an idea.  Why not start a thread about the dumbest myth fans keep repeating here.  This quote is a perfwct example.  Fans keep insisting that marvin said "We don't make second half adjustments" instead of what he actually said.

Fans don't repeat that. They just laugh at marv describing halftime adjustments as journalistic jargon. 

Reply/Quote