Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Support for Creationism reaches new low
Interesting article which basically states that support for a strict Creationism explanation for humans and life on Earth has reached an all time low. But it goes on to explain that people are not jumping to atheism, instead they are adopting the hybrid solution...that evolution is indeed the way life proceeds, and it is how their god has gotten life to its present state and continues to shape it.

That is exactly the point I have made in many evolution/creationism debates on this MB. The evidence for evolution is overwhelming, but who is to say that evolution wasn't the way the creator wanted things to proceed in the first place? Too many view acceptance of evolution as a denial of god when the two do not have to be mutually exclusive. Hopefully this trend will continue and reduce the amount of religious input trying to influence science and science education.

Complete article:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/eeddc1c3-0229-3b07-b0fb-8a3f045e7666/ss_creationism-support-is-at-a.html
(07-13-2017, 11:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: Interesting article which basically states that support for a strict Creationism explanation for humans and life on Earth has reached an all time low. But it goes on to explain that people are not jumping to atheism, instead they are adopting the hybrid solution...that evolution is indeed the way life proceeds, and it is how their god has gotten life to its present state and continues to shape it.

That is exactly the point I have made in many evolution/creationism debates on this MB. The evidence for evolution is overwhelming, but who is to say that evolution wasn't the way the creator wanted things to proceed in the first place? Too many view acceptance of evolution as a denial of god when the two do not have to be mutually exclusive. Hopefully this trend will continue and reduce the amount of religious input trying to influence science and science education.

Complete article:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/eeddc1c3-0229-3b07-b0fb-8a3f045e7666/ss_creationism-support-is-at-a.html

i'll read the article when I have time, but yes you can have your faith and evolution as well.  I think people try to protect from others who say people invented gods to explain the unexplainable.  I personally believe people invented our versions of god(s) to explain God.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-13-2017, 11:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: Interesting article which basically states that support for a strict Creationism explanation for humans and life on Earth has reached an all time low. But it goes on to explain that people are not jumping to atheism, instead they are adopting the hybrid solution...that evolution is indeed the way life proceeds, and it is how their god has gotten life to its present state and continues to shape it.

Complete article:

I always think about the Futurama episode where Bender floats through space and finds a being that is implied to be God. The quote from this entity is "when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." I have felt for a very long time that if there is a God, and that God wants you to have faith in their existence, then things like creation aren't going to be obvious. It would be done within the bounds of science as we understand it.

I know that attempting to apply logic to faith can be a weird thing to do, but it's just one of those things that I have thought for a while.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
You're right...evolution and a lack of belief in a god do not have to be tied together, but if you believe the scientific fact of evolution, it's pretty damned difficult to go along with the Genesis story of creation. There just isn't room left in there for evolution, and a lot of it is directly contradictory. It's easier to believe in both if you don't take the Bible completely literally though....
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(07-13-2017, 03:08 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: You're right...evolution and a lack of belief in a god do not have to be tied together, but if you believe the scientific fact of evolution, it's pretty damned difficult to go along with the Genesis story of creation.  There just isn't room left in there for evolution, and a lot of it is directly contradictory.  It's easier to believe in both if you don't take the Bible completely literally though....

And those are the people who have to stick with creationism as presented in the Bible.  You can't even coax them with "Well maybe a day wasn't an earth day, but some universe wide time lapse that was maybe really 1 billion Earth years."
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

What we think of as gods, are the beings that dropped us off on this planet years ago. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(07-13-2017, 04:14 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What we think of as gods, are the beings that dropped us off on this planet years ago. 

WTF
(07-13-2017, 03:08 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: You're right...evolution and a lack of belief in a god do not have to be tied together, but if you believe the scientific fact of evolution, it's pretty damned difficult to go along with the Genesis story of creation.  There just isn't room left in there for evolution, and a lot of it is directly contradictory.  It's easier to believe in both if you don't take the Bible completely literally though....

True, literal interpretations of the Bible have to give way.

The big beef religious people have against evolution is that it leaves them alone in a universe where change is undirected, random, contingent.

I think that syncretizing creationism and evolution usually retains the notion of intelligent design and just smuggles it into those places where the theory is still murky.
(07-13-2017, 04:47 PM)Au165 Wrote:  WTF

that's what I heard in CCD class anyways.......
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(07-13-2017, 04:14 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What we think of as gods, are the beings that dropped us off on this planet years ago. 

I don't think they dropped us off. The evidence is definitive now that one of them just dissolved his DNA into our water sources. We evolved after that.

[Image: 12233TG5-2.jpg]
People can believe whatever they wish, but no matter how much we actually learn and discover, God/god/gods will be able to be placed one step ahead of the discovery.
(07-13-2017, 06:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: People can believe whatever they wish, but no matter how much we actually learn and discover, God/god/gods will be able to be placed one step ahead of the discovery.

Not if they don't exist.  
(07-13-2017, 07:00 PM)Dill Wrote: Not if they don't exist.  

I meant placed by people who want to believe in them.
(07-13-2017, 05:45 PM)Dill Wrote: I think that syncretizing creationism and evolution usually retains the notion of intelligent design and just smuggles it into those places where the theory is still murky.

...Adam was god-made and Eve was a monkey. Syncretized!
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
I've always wondered what Gods reasoning was for creating V-Y Canis Majoris.

Since the making this video a star larger than UV Canis Majoris had been discovered.
(07-13-2017, 10:37 PM)Vlad Wrote: I've always wondered what Gods reasoning was for creating V-Y Canis Majoris.

Since the making this video a star larger than UV Canis Majoris had been discovered.

It's the Lake of Fire!
Music 
(07-13-2017, 11:45 AM)Beaker Wrote: Interesting article which basically states that support for a strict Creationism explanation for humans and life on Earth has reached an all time low.

Don't tell that to the left wingers...
--------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully (but not likely) this eventually results in less religion influencing science curriculum.
It's easier to teach "Gap" theory.

Theologians Won't or don't have to deal with those pesky Evolution questions.