Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supposedly we're targeting LB Brandon Marshall
(03-12-2019, 02:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Slow but good instincts have helped him compensate. He's more of a traditional MIKE, not a speed guy.

Yeah just feel like he fits the mold of what has got the Bengals in trouble with recent linebackers in terms of being big, older and not good in coverage.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:28 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Yeah just feel like he fits the mold of what has got the Bengals in trouble with recent linebackers in terms of being big, older and not good in coverage.

Difference here is he was once good in coverage where as guys we have brought in never were really known as coverage guys. He was a big part of that Broncos team that won a SB few years back, specifically because of his ability to cover TE's and HB's.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:28 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Yeah just feel like he fits the mold of what has got the Bengals in trouble with recent linebackers in terms of being big, older and not good in coverage.

It does. If he does sign, and if he performs poorly in coverage, we'll be able to definitively say that the problem was not in fact Marvin Lewis but with the FO who still wants to micromanage what they think is a good roster.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: Difference here is he was once good in coverage where as guys we have brought in never were really known as coverage guys. He was a big part of that Broncos team that won a SB few years back, specifically because of his ability to cover TE's and HB's.

This is true. He has the size/length to cover TEs. Problem is with him getting older, has his speed slipped even more that his length and instincts just can't compensate?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Hawk, Minter, Brown and maybe Marshall now. Yay.

It’s like the FO isn’t even trying to get better. Maybe they do want to tank for a year or two to get a new QB?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is true. He has the size/length to cover TEs. Problem is with him getting older, has his speed slipped even more that his length and instincts just can't compensate?

Well, IF he can get back to what he was 3 years ago, he could be a good get for a team. That said, that usually isn't how it plays out.

In his current state, he'd still be the best LB on the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, IF he can get back to what he was 3 years ago, he could be a good get for a team. That said, that usually isn't how it plays out.

In his current state, he'd still be the best LB on the team.

I honestly wouldn't even waste my time with Marshall because I'm convinced this team is going to go through a rebuild (as evident by re-signing of Hart) and there's no reason to waste money on a 1-2 year stopgap. Just save the cap space and roll it over to next year like the Browns and Colts have done. Stock up cap for a few years then go ham once your team is ready to truly compete.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I honestly wouldn't even waste my time with Marshall because I'm convinced this team is going to go through a rebuild (as evident by re-signing of Hart) and there's no reason to waste money on a 1-2 year stopgap. Just save the cap space and roll it over to next year like the Browns and Colts have done. Stock up cap for a few years then go ham once your team is ready to truly compete.

That's just it...IF our plan was to have like $90 million cap space, we'd have to dump veterans for draft picks.

I'd still target LJ Fort at this point.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I honestly wouldn't even waste my time with Marshall because I'm convinced this team is going to go through a rebuild (as evident by re-signing of Hart) and there's no reason to waste money on a 1-2 year stopgap. Just save the cap space and roll it over to next year like the Browns and Colts have done. Stock up cap for a few years then go ham once your team is ready to truly compete.

Completely agree with all the holes on this team we’re at least a minimum of 2 years away from being good and by that time Marshall will be 32 years old versus siging a guy in his prime.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:46 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Completely agree with all the holes  on this team we’re at least a minimum of 2 years away from being good and by that time Marshall will be 32 years old versus siging a guy in his prime.

And AJ and Geno will be 32 also.

That's why we needed to go in and win now.

People see the 1st day of contracts...but the prices will go down.
Reply/Quote

Tough pill to swallow but agree with you to an extent (not saying the Hart signing is them going thru a rebuild, but that I don't think this team is ripe to take over). What I'd hate to happen is stuck in 7-9 purgatory for years on in. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:28 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yeah, he played QB in HS (I watched him play in New Albany) and didn't become a LB until OSU. Dude still has lots to learn about being an LB.

He is fast, though, right?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's just it...IF our plan was to have like $90 million cap space, we'd have to dump veterans for draft picks.

I'd still target LJ Fort at this point.

You wouldn't HAVE to dump veterans for draft picks. Let them play out their contracts and just don't re-sign.
Bengals are currently set to have $80 mill in cap space in 2020 and $130 mill for 2021.
The Bengals have some decisions to make over the next two years regarding Green, Boyd, Dalton, Boling, Burfict, and Glenn. Kirkpatrick and Dunlap off the books in 2022.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:50 PM)McC Wrote: He is fast, though, right?

He's pretty fast. Think he ran a high 4.4 low 4.5. I like his football IQ more tho. he's played quite a few positions and understands multiple positions. But he smaller and gets washed up with the big uglies
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:16 PM)McC Wrote: 6'1", 250 doesn't exactly scream speed guy.  But I don't really know much about him.

don't the ILB ususal come off the field in obvious passing downs?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You wouldn't HAVE to dump veterans for draft picks. Let them play out their contracts and just don't re-sign.
Bengals are currently set to have $80 mill in cap space in 2020 and $130 mill for 2021.
The Bengals have some decisions to make over the next two years regarding Green, Boyd, Dalton, Boling, Burfict, and Glenn. Kirkpatrick and Dunlap off the books in 2022.

think we will keep Gio also a FA next season... or go younger at RB
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: don't the ILB ususal come off the field in obvious passing downs?

True.  So is it a choice between Brown and Marshall?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: don't the ILB ususal come off the field in obvious passing downs?

Sometimes that’s why 3 down line backers are becoming more of a priority. If you have a guy that can do both you don’t have to worry about it. Plus a team could give you a run look and pass instead , targeting your linebacker who can’t cover the pass.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 02:48 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Tough pill to swallow but agree with you to an extent (not saying the Hart signing is them going thru a rebuild, but that I don't think this team is ripe to take over). What I'd hate to happen is stuck in 7-9 purgatory for years on in. 

I look at it this way: We had over $50 million I cap space which was Top 5 in the league I believe. IF we don't bring in 2-3 external upgrades with that much space...it's not happening any time soon.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 03:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I look at it this way: We had over $50 million I cap space which was Top 5 in the league I believe. IF we don't bring in 2-3 external upgrades with that much space...it's not happening any time soon.

People have the ability to change. I'm hoping they do. If not, **** 'em... it's their loss
Reply/Quote