Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court Upholds Nationwide Health Care Law Subsidies
(06-25-2015, 10:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Off topic.

Rock On
My bad I thought you said this:

(06-25-2015, 10:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: But how would that look?

Like they wanted to do something and agreed on things?  You can't make your opponent out to be an evil if you are working WITH them.

Haven't you ever watched professional wrestling?  ThumbsUp
Obviously "things" just meant the ACA 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
The conservative/republicans will never come out ahead on this issue until they provide their plan for an alternative plan.

EVERYONE agreed we needed health care reform during the '08 election, but now the conservatives/republicans try to act like there was never any problem at all.

The only thing I hear them throw out is tort reform, but the cost of malpractice suites is onlky a miniscule drop in the bucket. The only reason they suggested that is because they want to protect the big money doctors from damages when they mess up.

I don't really like the ACA. I think it was a sell out to protect the insurance industry. But the Republicans didn't really offer any other alternative to fix the problem. And now they are trying to act like there was no problem to begin with.
(06-25-2015, 10:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: But how would that look?

Like they wanted to do something and agreed on things?  You can't make your opponent out to be an evil if you are working WITH them.

Haven't you ever watched professional wrestling?  ThumbsUp

Actually Kevin Owen has gotten me interested again.
A plan is easy . Free market. No limits by states.

No mandatory coverage or minimums.

Make every insurance provider compete against each other.
(06-26-2015, 01:17 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: A plan is easy .  Free market.  No limits by states.  

No mandatory coverage or minimums.  

Make every insurance provider compete against each other.

Although there were some limits on competition across state lines, there was always free market competition within each states and it never kept costs down.

Free market failed.
(06-26-2015, 01:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Although there were some limits on competition across state lines, there was always free market competition within each states and it never kept costs down.

Free market failed.

Opening up state lines would have made a huge difference.

SCS would know a little more on the specifics. Maybe he will chime in later on this ...
(06-26-2015, 01:48 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Opening up state lines would have made a huge difference.  

No it would not.

If there was a insurance company undercutting the price due to competition then it would be happening in at least one state.

But even if you drive the price down a lot you are still going to have people who game the system by refusing to pay for insurance then sticking a hospital with a huge bill that has to be written off as a loss when they need treatment.
(06-26-2015, 01:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No it would not.

If there was a insurance company undercutting the price due to competition then it would be happening in at least one state.

But even if you drive the price down a lot you are still going to have people who game the system by refusing to pay for insurance then sticking a hospital with a huge bill that has to be written off as a loss when they need treatment.

Giving handouts to everyone doesn't work either. We can't afford that... We don't libe in fantasy land .
Let's face the facts. The old system was leaving people destitute for receiving medical care that citizens of any other industrialized nation in the world can get for little to no cost. The ACA created the signature of American ingenuity these days, the "we don't want to fully commit to a big government solution but we realize the free market isn't working so here is a hybrid variation that won't work either but makes it look like we are doing something" way that we tend to do things when we realize we are doing a piss poor job of taking care of our citizenry.

The big question is where do we go from here? I've heard folks from the insurance industry say that dismantling the ACA now would be utter chaos and do more harm than good. So is there a reason we are trying to do that? I get that some people think any attempt for the government to provide services to the citizenry is evil, you can save that energy you would use typing that out. But right wing politicians are the only ones I have heard say dismantling it would be good and that's because it is what those constituents that don't live in reality want to hear. There was a problem, it had to be fixed. The fix has some major problems, let's fix them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-25-2015, 05:50 PM)Benton Wrote: If the GOP candidates were smart, instead of jumping up and down trying to dismantle it, they should jump up and down that they'll fix it. I think both sides agree there's problems with it.

Just fix the problems and move forward.

What do you think was going to happen if the SC ruled the other way? The Republicans were just going to patch it and allow for federal subsidies. They are actually happy it went this way so they didn't have to.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-25-2015, 11:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My bad I thought you said this:

Obviously "things" just meant the ACA 

Obviously you tried to redirect the conversation from the GOP's lack of a plan or cooperation with the ACA.

At least you recognized it.

Continue...
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-26-2015, 08:28 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What do you think was going to happen if the SC ruled the other way?  The Republicans were just going to patch it and allow for federal subsidies.  They are actually happy it went this way so they didn't have to.

Were they? Because most of the talk I have heard has been about trying to dismantle it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-26-2015, 05:27 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Giving handouts to everyone doesn't work either.  We can't afford that...   We don't libe in fantasy land .

So the United States is so weak it can't do what every other industrialized country in the world does?

Why do you hate America?
(06-26-2015, 08:44 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Were they? Because most of the talk I have heard has been about trying to dismantle it.

Talk, talk, talk.  No way were they going to let its collapse fall on them.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-26-2015, 05:27 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Giving handouts to everyone doesn't work either.  We can't afford that...   We don't libe in fantasy land .

Who do you think is paying for all the debts written off in bankruptcies due to medical bills?

Who do you think is paying for all the losses that Hospitals have to write off due to patients with no medical insurance?

We were already paying for it.  
(06-26-2015, 08:28 AM)michaelsean Wrote: What do you think was going to happen if the SC ruled the other way?  The Republicans were just going to patch it and allow for federal subsidies.  They are actually happy it went this way so they didn't have to.

We can speculate that. But what they've jumped up and down saying is "dismantle it, it's a mandate!"
(06-26-2015, 09:35 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Talk, talk, talk.  No way were they going to let its collapse fall on them.  

Actually it is not just talk.  Many Republican states have refused to establish the exchanges required by the ACA.  

Repealing the ACA is one of the biggest battle cries of the GOP.  No way they just flip flop after all the rhetoric about how evil the plan is.
(06-26-2015, 09:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So the United States is so weak it can't do what every other industrialized country in the world does?

Why do you hate America?

You mean all the countries in debt and almost on fire because of it .... You want us to be like Greece ???? Because that's what your proposing .... Taking care of everyone .
(06-27-2015, 01:09 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You mean all the countries in debt and almost on fire because of it ....    You want us to be like Greece ????   Because that's what your proposing .... Taking care of everyone .

Scandinavian countries seem to be handling it with a lower debt/GDP ratio than us. Well, Iceland usually gets lumped in with them even though they aren't in Scandinavia and they had some issues that they are working through. The point is that it can be done to an even further extent that we are talking about here.

I'm beginning to think it's all these Roman influenced governments that just suck at it. Smirk
(06-26-2015, 01:06 AM)Benton Wrote: Actually Kevin Owen has gotten me interested again.

Is it because of his Canadian views on healthcare...... Ninja