Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sure fire way to improve QB play this season
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2545224-who-is-ik-enemkpali-the-lowdown-on-the-lb-who-sucker-punched-geno-smith

Quote:1. Despite starting his high school football career as a backup fullback, Enemkpali had 14 sacks during his senior season at Pflugerville High School in Texas, where he teamed up with 247Sports 4-star recruit Alex Okafor. Louisiana Tech was the only NCAA program to offer Enemkpali a scholarship, according to Kane McGuire of the school's official athletics website.

Two things here. Pflugerville. Say that out loud and giggle. Second, he had 14 sacks as a fullback... which means he's used to beating up his own QB.

Mellow

Quote:8. He played in six games as a rookie, recording no sacks and two passes defensed. But he had a strip-sack in his first preseason game (see it here), which clinched a victory over the Indianapolis Colts. Against the Cincinnati Bengals the next week, Enemkpali had another strip-sack and a blocked punt, resulting in a safety.

Just interesting.

Quote:10. His sister, Nneka, was selected 26th overall by the Seattle Storm in the 2015 WNBA draft. Nneka was an All-Big 12 forward at the University of Texas. Their parents, Chinedu and Justina, were both born and raised in Nigeria, but IK (his full name is Ikemefuna Chinedum Enemkpali), Nneka and their siblings, Chinelo and Osi, were born in Austin, Texas.

I'd sign his sister.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 04:09 AM)Stormborn Wrote: First of all, some teams are way more unprepared for a Super Bowl appearance than others, it's hard to just lump all 20 in the same group of ineptitude. 

And forget the Super Bowl, I'm merely talking about the 12 teams who will get a shot just to play in it. The Browns aren't remotely close to that anyways. We are in no way in a similar position to compare long term strategy. We are consistent playoff contenders, the Browns are consistent last place finishers, obviously totally different situations. Once they get to where we are, they won't be sitting a first rounder for a journeyman.

McCown came in for the Bears in 2013 and kept them in the playoff hunt before Cutler came back and botched it (not saying McCown is better than Cutler, but he DID keep them in the hunt) so when it comes to which guy can luck the guy into the playoffs I'd still say McCown is the better bet than Manziel at the moment.

People get pretty ageist when it comes to QBs, deciding to go with the young unknown over anyone over 30 who isn't a top 5 QB, because you know, young!  It's a classic case of bad decision-making based upon fear of missing out, or FOMO.  It's the reason women would rather be with some broke musician rather than a steady guy who brings home 35-65k per year.  I mean, you KNOW what the guy with the normal job is going to do, but this dude with the guitar could get signed by Phat Phish records any day now and then become a billionaire!  How stupid would you feel if you missed out on that?

SO there we have it.  Josh McCown is a middle-management systems analyst and Johnny Fartball is some druggie with an electric guitar and a demo tape that might explode and go to #1.  I know who I think is sexier!!!! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 12:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: McCown came in for the Bears in 2013 and kept them in the playoff hunt before Cutler came back and botched it (not saying McCown is better than Cutler, but he DID keep them in the hunt) so when it comes to which guy can luck the guy into the playoffs I'd still say McCown is the better bet than Manziel at the moment.

People get pretty ageist when it comes to QBs, deciding to go with the young unknown over anyone over 30 who isn't a top 5 QB, because you know, young!  It's a classic case of bad decision-making based upon fear of missing out, or FOMO.  It's the reason women would rather be with some broke musician rather than a steady guy who brings home 35-65k per year.  I mean, you KNOW what the guy with the normal job is going to do, but this dude with the guitar could get signed by Phat Phish records any day now and then become a billionaire!  How stupid would you feel if you missed out on that?

SO there we have it.  Josh McCown is a middle-management systems analyst and Johnny Fartball is some druggie with an electric guitar and a demo tape that might explode and go to #1.  I know who I think is sexier!!!! Ninja

[Image: 128431568.jpg?v=1&g=fs1%7C0%7CPLB%7C31%7...%7C568&s=1]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 01:04 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Seriously did the biggest double take when I heard about this.

You just can't make Jets crap up like this.

the only surprising part about it is Rex Ryan isnt running that circus anymore... i guess it will take time to undo what he did there.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 12:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: McCown came in for the Bears in 2013 and kept them in the playoff hunt before Cutler came back and botched it (not saying McCown is better than Cutler, but he DID keep them in the hunt) so when it comes to which guy can luck the guy into the playoffs I'd still say McCown is the better bet than Manziel at the moment.

Ok, I'll end with this,

We both agree that McCown is a better QB option for the Browns to win more games than with Manziel. However you see the Browns possibly lucking in the playoffs with him starting and I just don't see it either way no matter who's starting. What I'm trying to say is that if my two likely options in a final record is 6-10 or 4-12 in a division that is already packed with playoff teams, I just don't see the point of going 6-10 and winning two more meaningless games, but it all comes down to whether you believe McCown gives them a legit shot at the playoffs, and I just don't. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 08:19 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I agree that we can't lump the 20 teams in the same group, but for a different reason. The Browns are one of the few teams in that 20 that actually have a very solid group of players, and there have been plenty of years over the past decade where they're seemingly just a QB away from being a legitimate contender. Don't forget that they've had a strong defense for just as long as we have, and they've had some good talent on offense including a great line, they just never seem to have anyone to get the ball around.

If you're a member of the coaching staff and you'd like to keep your job, it's probably smarter to play the mediocre journeyman over the "but what if!" young kid that has shown nothing but some of the worst QB play imaginable on the field.

I'll even admit that I was part of the "don't sleep on Johnny Eightball!" crowd when he was drafted. I can now admit that he should probably not be starting in the NFL. Your last statement, "Once they get to where we are, they won't be sitting a first rounder for a journeyman" would make a bit more sense if that first rounder wasn't awful. I don't care what round someone was drafted in, you don't put someone on the field that can't play whether they were taken #1 overall or #150.

Yeah like I said, Pettine would be more comfortable playing McCown because he's a more stable QB. That part makes sense. 

Any other division in the AFC and Cleveland maybe able to compete for a Wild Card spot with their roster and McCown, but not here. I simply don't see it.

Correct, you can't play someone who simply can't play, no matter if he's the driving force of your recent season ticket sales. But the end result won't be that much different if the guy sits anyways.

The main disconnect here is that we have different expectations for the Browns with McCown.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 01:53 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Yeah like I said, Pettine would be more comfortable playing McCown because he's a more stable QB. That part makes sense. 

Any other division in the AFC and Cleveland maybe able to compete for a Wild Card spot with their roster and McCown, but not here. I simply don't see it.

Correct, you can't play someone who simply can't play, no matter if he's the driving force of your recent season ticket sales. But the end result won't be that much different if the guy sits anyways.

The main disconnect here is that we have different expectations for the Browns with McCown.

Oh I'm still expecting them to be the Browns and find a way to screw things up, but at the end of the day, that team could make the playoffs if one of the QBs turns out to be even average. I'd put my money on McCown lucking into an average or better season before Manziel though, and that's where the basis of my opinion comes from.

It's not really a bold prediction by any means, but I feel that one of the Bengals, Ravens, or Steelers could easily have a surprisingly mediocre year. The AFCN could send 3 teams to the playoffs again and one could be the Browns if McCown isn't entirely awful and they don't end up testing the Manziel project more than they should.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 01:44 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Ok, I'll end with this,

We both agree that McCown is a better QB option for the Browns to win more games than with Manziel. However you see the Browns possibly lucking in the playoffs with him starting and I just don't see it either way no matter who's starting. What I'm trying to say is that if my two likely options in a final record is 6-10 or 4-12 in a division that is already packed with playoff teams, I just don't see the point of going 6-10 and winning two more meaningless games, but it all comes down to whether you believe McCown gives them a legit shot at the playoffs, and I just don't. 

I don't believe McCown gives them a legit shot at the playoffs, but I have to assume if I were an NFL HC or GM I would want to win 2 more games (for the Browns that is an increase of 50-25% of wins) regardless of how boring the QB was.  It's easy for us to say "risk it and you'll either be good or win 2 games" when it isn't our job on the line.

With that being said, Josh McCown, Andy Dalton, and Nick Foles all had very good to stellar 2013's and disappointing, step-back 2014 seasons.  For some reason Bengals and Rams fans are just salivating at the prospect of those two to return to form and Josh McCown is seen as a huge waste of time.  That's because McCown is old, and if you are a QB over the age of 30 you had better be a top 5 QB without a doubt or you'll be seen as a wheel-spinning waste of time.  Keep in mind the Browns have been throwing raw 20-somethings into the fire for over a decade with absolutely no success, to boot.

Also, I can remember a time when just beating the Steelers was a victorious season (I'm looking at you 1998), so to act like no one likes going 8-8 is a bit off-base for a Bengals fan.  If the Browns go 8-8 with McCown and it's not in spite of the guy then I assure you they'll be on cloud nine...the poor saps.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 01:42 AM)Utts Wrote: Nobody in their right mind would sucker punch a ginger. Ginger rage is real and not something you want to be on the receiving end of.

It wasn't a sucker punch.  That's just the story that came out.  Geno Smith owed him money.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 01:12 AM)Shady Wrote: The crazy thing is that IK probably did the Jets a favor. You know who's going to start for them now, don't you? Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Yeah, the team's response is that his job isn't waiting for him. Smith has improved little and was very sub-average to start with.

Reply/Quote