Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surprise cut(s)
(08-14-2017, 06:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Malone is said to be faster or same as Core and physical and big... plus they have speed with Ross.. so to me Malone and Core are very close skill sets.. with Erickson different skill set plus the return game.. they might decide to keep Erickson... remember this is a surprise thread... so still would surprise me if he is cut but if they only keep 6, he could be cut

True, could happen. At this point Core getting cut is much more likely than Malone or Erickson.

Tough decisions man.

(08-14-2017, 07:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: Malone is decidedly faster than Core.  He ran a 4.40 at the combine compared to Core's 4.47.  FWIW, Erickson didn't receive a combine invite, but ran 4.44 at his Pro Day, while Malone and Core didn't run at theirs. Both Core and Malone measured 6'3" at the combine, and weighed in at 205 and 208 respectively.  So, they have very similar body types.

The big difference, aside from speed, is Malone has better hands and body control, which give him that big catch radius and the ability to go up and get it.  

I do like how Malone goes up for the ball better than Core that is for sure.

Good info here, nice post. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Some great points here. A lot of names brought up with some good reasoning behind it. Good stuff all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 11:02 AM)Wyche Wrote: He's gotta be on a short leash, at least.  I will say this though, to date, they have had him out of position, in my opinion, in the slot mostly.  In college, he was better on the outside, using the boundary as a defender.  He better step it up, and in a hurry.
Then there's this:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-report-Defense-dominates-McCarron-paints-red-zone-Iloka-works/b570c2c9-a96d-444d-97ec-3ff45ed97341

PLAY OF THE DAY: Another guy McCarron likes is Dennard and confirms he’s also having a nice camp. But he was on the other end of this play when Dennard outfoxed rookie wide receiver Karel Hamilton. Dennard was running with Hamilton step for step to the sideline when Hamilton stopped the route. Dennard kept running the route and made a diving interception.

It all comes down to what 'they' see!
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:00 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Then there's this:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Camp-report-Defense-dominates-McCarron-paints-red-zone-Iloka-works/b570c2c9-a96d-444d-97ec-3ff45ed97341

PLAY OF THE DAY: Another guy McCarron likes is Dennard and confirms he’s also having a nice camp. But he was on the other end of this play when Dennard outfoxed rookie wide receiver Karel Hamilton. Dennard was running with Hamilton step for step to the sideline when Hamilton stopped the route. Dennard kept running the route and made a diving interception.

It all comes down to what 'they' see!

Nice seeing Dennard make a play. Plus it is not like that was terrible coverage on Mike Evans when he made that big catch
down the sidelines. Dennard had him blanketed pretty good, Evans is just so big and made a nice catch and it was a perfectly
thrown ball. I blame the D-line more-so than Dennard on that play, specifically MJ and Sims.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:52 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice seeing Dennard make a play. Plus it is not like that was terrible coverage on Mike Evans when he made that big catch
down the sidelines. Dennard had him blanketed pretty good, Evans is just so big and made a nice catch and it was a perfectly
thrown ball. I blame the D-line more-so than Dennard on that play, specifically MJ and Sims.

Not to sound whiney, but Evans likes to push off. In a regular season game, you could make a case for Evans shoving off to separate from Dennard on the pass.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:56 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Not to sound whiney, but Evans likes to push off. In a regular season game, you could make a case for Evans shoving off to separate from Dennard on the pass.

Not whiney at all, pushes off all the time. Not as much as Antonio Brown but still, lots.
Reply/Quote
Hard Choices...

I could see one of the runningbacks get traded more so than cut. .Hill
Core is possibly the man out at WR... maybe they stash him on IR for year if hes not cleared before the end of camp.

I don't think we will see a ton of surprises.. A Smith possibly gets cut.. But they might keep him to back up RG and RT (3 mil is expensive for a backup though)

I think Eric Wintson doesn't make the final 53.

Pat Sims might be on the way out.

I also didn't see much from MJ but saw a whole lot I liked from Chris smith
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:56 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Not to sound whiney, but Evans likes to push off. In a regular season game, you could make a case for Evans shoving off to separate from Dennard on the pass.

Whether Evans pushes off or not, he's extremely difficult to defend given his height (6'5") and arm length (35.125"). Dude's catch radius is insane and he's got hops to go with it. He's becoming one of the top WRs in the league.

So I don't put that much weight in Dennard struggling defending him, as most defenders struggle.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 12:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Whether Evans pushes off or not, he's extremely difficult to defend given his height (6'5") and arm length (35.125"). Dude's catch radius is insane and he's got hops to go with it. He's becoming one of the top WRs in the league.

So I don't put that much weight in Dennard struggling defending him, as most defenders struggle.

All very true, Evans is an up and comer.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 10:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: MJ would be a surprise, but a justified one.

I think Randy Bullock will be released in favor of Elliott.  I know I may be nitpicking, but all of Bullock's kicks seem to have a hook to them and I can't think that will bode well once the wind has picked up.  Elliott hits a clean, straight ball, and has also reached the touchback for kickoffs.

When they said something about needing to find the next great kicker, I don't think they meant one that had been in the league for 7 or so years.  Elliott will be very affordable for four years and he looks to be very adept at the kicking game.  He will win the job.

I think Bullock is aware he's merely auditioning for another job here.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 10:03 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I think Bullock is aware he's merely auditioning for another job here.

Elliott better stop missing his kicks or Bullock might just steal his job here.
Reply/Quote
Can someone save me a Google search and remind me when the first round of cuts is supposed to happen?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 06:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Can someone save me a Google search and remind me when the first round of cuts is supposed to happen?

There is no more 'first round of cuts'. They go from 90 to 53.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, Paul Alexander, Ken Zampese, Cedric Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, Russell Bodine, and Andre Smith all get cut.

Bengals go on to be better for it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 07:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, Paul Alexander, Ken Zampese, Cedric Ogbuehi, Jake Fisher, Russell Bodine, and Andre Smith all get cut.

Bengals go on to be better for it.

So that would mean what Eric Winston is the LT? Right would be Perkins or Hopkin? More likely they would become the Browns...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Fisher seems to be improving some. I think there's still a chance the kid gets it and becomes at least an average RT. Ogbhuehi is the one I'm really concerned isn't going to become even backup material. However, nothing will happen as he was handpicked by Alexander the Great.

Michael Johnson should be cut, but I don't see that happening either.
Reply/Quote
My biggest worry about Ogbeuhi is that we will wait far too long to admit our mistake, and make some kind of adjustment. Ok, I know, snap judgment, and it was just one game. Let's just keep watching the pre-season. But I didn't see what I wanted to see last Friday against the Buccs.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 02:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well again it would be a surprise but here is how it could happen... if they decide to keep 6 WR.. of the three on the bubble Malone, Core and Erickson... Malone and Core are more similar in their skill set... Erickson is a different WR skill set.. so why keep 2 of similar skill set.. and cut the one that has a different skill set. 

Because we have enough slot receivers (I think Ross will work mostly there). We need outside help. And only Core and Malone provide any potential to fill that role in the future.

I know Hobs just had a fluff peace on Cox but I think he stood out vs Tampa. Derron might be in trouble. I agree with the MJ, Sims, surprise cuts.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 07:44 PM)Synric Wrote: So that would mean what Eric Winston is the LT? Right would be Perkins or Hopkin? More likely they would become the Browns...

I meant go on to be better overall, not specifically 2017.

Like maybe once they're all gone, we can bring someone in who wouldn't have let Andrew Whitworth walk so Ogbuehi can start at LT just because he's their guy, or think that Andre Smith is a viable FA choice to fill RG when he's never played it, and has been terrible the last couple years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 08:30 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: My biggest worry about Ogbeuhi is that we will wait far too long to admit our mistake, and make some kind of adjustment.  Ok, I know, snap judgment, and it was just one game.  Let's just keep watching the pre-season.  But I didn't see what I wanted to see last Friday against the Buccs.
[Image: nxtyr.gif?1498568344]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote