Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surprise cut(s)
(08-14-2017, 03:32 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I wonder if LaFell's name should be brought up in this.  Is he a lock?  Just asking the question...
We have some talent in Boyd, Malone, and Ross.  Green is an automatic.  Eifert can play in the slot.
Erickson is just pesky effective and returns kicks.  Do you cut a young guy Core in favor of a more experienced veteran LaFell?  I see that LaFell was just mentioned..

I kinda thought about him as well, but the guy has proven he can play in the NFL. We have a lot of young talent at WR, but that position usually takes a little bit to develop. Having a guy that you can count on and has good timing with your QB is nice to have around.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I said this earlier I think Will Clark's going to be cut
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Going for a real darkhorse:

Nick Vigil
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Did you even watch late last season man?

When AJ went down our Offense sucked cause we had no speed threat.

When Core finally was put in the game it opened up our Offense again.

Core is big, physical and fast. Rare qualities. AJ is the only WR we have on the team that has these qualities.

Yes, a few times. 

He's big and physical and can catch the ball when it's thrown to him. If he has to adjust he had real problems. 

He's not nearly the prospect you're making him out to be. Good guy down the line--#3 or #4. But i didn't see him 'go get' one single ball last year. 

If Malone shows the ability to adjust and runs good routes, he's above Core. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 04:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Going for a real darkhorse:

Nick Vigil

definitely a dark horse. Who is starting at LOLB then?
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 04:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: definitely a dark horse. Who is starting at LOLB then?

Carl Lawson

Chris Smith

Jordan Evans

Reply/Quote
Cody Core, Peerman, Andre Smith.

I'd cut Michael Johnson, but I think he's safe for this year.

Btw, LaFell isn't going anywhere. He just signed a 2 year deal and he'd account for 3.3 million in dead cap if cut.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 04:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yes, a few times. 

He's big and physical and can catch the ball when it's thrown to him. If he has to adjust he had real problems. 

He's not nearly the prospect you're making him out to be. Good guy down the line--#3 or #4. But i didn't see him 'go get' one single ball last year. 

If Malone shows the ability to adjust and runs good routes, he's above Core. 

I'd say Malone was above Core the moment he was taken in the 4th round.

We don't cut 4th rounder or place them on the PS the year they were drafted.   

If one has to go, it'll be Core. Mark it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 05:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Carl Lawson

Chris Smith

Jordan Evans

Lawson can't cover at all yet from the reports so far which isn't a knock just not something he has done before, Smith has played hand down exclusively, Evans is a possibility. Maybe Vigil doesn't start, but he isn't getting cut. Rookie contract and high upside that the coaches like.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 05:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd say Malone was above Core the moment he was taken in the 4th round.

We don't cut 4th rounder or place them on the PS the year they were drafted.   

If one has to go, it'll be Core. Mark it.

I agree.

Oh, it's already been marked. 

[Image: it-s-already-been-broughten-o.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 05:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: Lawson can't cover at all yet from the reports so far which isn't a knock just not something he has done before, Smith has played hand down exclusively, Evans is a possibility. Maybe Vigil doesn't start, but he isn't getting cut. Rookie contract and high upside that the coaches like.
Our Sam is not there for pass coverage. 

Dontay Moch and Roddick Muckelroy were on a rookie contracts and high high upside.  

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 05:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Our Sam is not there for pass coverage. 

Dontay Moch and Roddick Muckelroy were on a rookie contracts and high high upside.  

They don't only rush the SAM no matter how we have tried to shoehorn rush guys in. In fact one of the reasons it has failed is because those guys never could cover. If all we wanted them to do was rush we would just play an extra DE and run a hybrid 5-2, but thats not what we do. They are required to drop at times even in base sets. Go back and watch the game on Saturday and look how many time Vigil was in coverage, it was a pretty good amount.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 05:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: They don't only rush the SAM no matter how we have tried to shoehorn rush guys in. In fact one of the reasons it has failed is because those guys never could cover. If all we wanted them to do was rush we would just play an extra DE and run a hybrid 5-2, but thats not what we do. They are required to drop at times even in base sets. Go back and watch the game on Saturday and look how many time Vigil was in coverage, it was a pretty good amount.

See the issue here is your pigeonholing Lawson to a position title. The NFL is a game of chess of matchups. Lawson has lined up at all 3 linebacker spots and at DE in training camp to rush the passer lol.

Think about it how many teams sit their Mikes for guys listed at SAM and WILL to play nickle lol. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Did you even watch late last season man?

When AJ went down our Offense sucked cause we had no speed threat.

When Core finally was put in the game it opened up our Offense again.

Core is big, physical and fast. Rare qualities. AJ is the only WR we have on the team that has these qualities.

Malone is said to be faster or same as Core and physical and big... plus they have speed with Ross.. so to me Malone and Core are very close skill sets.. with Erickson different skill set plus the return game.. they might decide to keep Erickson... remember this is a surprise thread... so still would surprise me if he is cut but if they only keep 6, he could be cut
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 06:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Malone is said to be faster or same as Core and physical and big... plus they have speed with Ross.. so to me Malone and Core are very close skill sets.. with Erickson different skill set plus the return game.. they might decide to keep Erickson... remember this is a surprise thread... so still would surprise me if he is cut but if they only keep 6, he could be cut

Malone is decidedly faster than Core.  He ran a 4.40 at the combine compared to Core's 4.47.  FWIW, Erickson didn't receive a combine invite, but ran 4.44 at his Pro Day, while Malone and Core didn't run at theirs. Both Core and Malone measured 6'3" at the combine, and weighed in at 205 and 208 respectively.  So, they have very similar body types.

The big difference, aside from speed, is Malone has better hands and body control, which give him that big catch radius and the ability to go up and get it.  
Reply/Quote
Dennard if he does not start playing better

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
MJ needs to go, will he ???

Peerman

Dennard

Core

Clarke

As many others have stated all could go. How much of a surprise are any of the above ?
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 07:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: MJ needs to go, will he ???

Peerman

Dennard

Core

Clarke

As many others have stated all could go. How much of a surprise are any of the above ?

I'd be pissed if they cut Dennard. At least try to trade him. Maybe there's a defective former first round OL we can acquire and maybe have something work out like with Reggie! lol.

I'd be shocked if Clarke got the ax just because they still see him as "young"
Reply/Quote
None of these cuts you guys mention are really that "surprising"
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 05:35 PM)Synric Wrote: See the issue here is your pigeonholing Lawson to a position title. The NFL is a game of chess of matchups. Lawson has lined up at all 3 linebacker spots and at DE in training camp to rush the passer lol.

Think about it how many teams sit their Mikes for guys listed at SAM and WILL to play nickle lol. 

Not Pigeon holing at all, Lawson right now is a rush specalist. Out of a 4-3 base we will have a SAM on the field that is asked to cover a decent amount of time. If thats not vigil my question is who is it, because it's not Lawson as of now. They said that is the one thing he hasn't done well yet. As for how many guys sit Mike in the nickle? The answer is very few use a SAM in nickle, most will use Mike and Will or two Mikes, etc but Sam is usually a specific skill set in a 4-3. I envision Lawson being very similar to what Vic Beasly was in Atlanta last year.
Reply/Quote