Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surprise cut(s)
I think Andre is safe due to lack of T depth.

Peerman could be gone if he can't get on the field and Carson keeps producing.

Sims is pretty safe, imo. Billings showed great physical traits, but made several assignment errors. He's not ready to be a full time starter, yet.

Glasgow would be a big surprise, but he was in against the 4th team and did next to nothing. If they do keep him, it likely means 5 DT's, which will make it tough to keep 7 WR'S.

Which brings us to Core, who got hurt and is in a walking boot. If he misses a couple of preseason games, he will be on the outside looking in, although I think they stash him on IR at that point.

MJ should lose his spot, but something tells me he will be the starter come the opener.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think Andre is safe due to lack of T depth.  

Sims is pretty safe, imo.  Billings showed great physical traits, but made several assignment errors.  He's not ready to be a full time starter, yet.

Glasgow would be a big surprise, but he was in against the 4th team and did next to nothing.  If they do keep him, it likely means 5 DT's, which will make it tough to keep 7 WR'S.

Which brings us to Core, who got hurt and is in a walking boot.  If he misses a couple of preseason games, he will be on the outside looking in, although I think they stash him on IR at that point.

MJ should lose his spot, but something tells me he will be the starter come the opener.

Disagree on Sims and i have always liked the guy. Have to show some push. Billings was getting doubled and still pushed
the double team around. Sure, he made a bad mistake and got washed out on the Fitzy TD but he has to learn from these
things and he should be the starter next to Geno.

Clearly.
Reply/Quote
We had the 2nd oldest defense in the NFL last season. Play the young guys.

Sims is a rotation guy that can stop the run at best. He isn't a starter that should play a lot of snaps on an elite defense.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:24 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is safe this year because we picked up his 5th year option, plus you can never have too much CB depth. It would take an amazing performance by Benwikere to push him off the roster I think.

Forgot about that, and agree with the rest of what you're saying.  Also, I say get him out of the slot, and play him on the perimeter.  Sink or swim time moving forward.  We do have a lot of depth at the position.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Cody Core

^This. 

I don't see why people love him so much. He's a decent WR but others bring more to the table. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I see Marcus Hardison and Cedric Peerman being cut.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:17 PM)Trademark Wrote: I actually can see this, he's injury prone unfortunately

well again it would be a surprise but here is how it could happen... if they decide to keep 6 WR.. of the three on the bubble Malone, Core and Erickson... Malone and Core are more similar in their skill set... Erickson is a different WR skill set.. so why keep 2 of similar skill set.. and cut the one that has a different skill set. 
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 12:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think Andre is safe due to lack of T depth.  

Sims is pretty safe, imo.  Billings showed great physical traits, but made several assignment errors.  He's not ready to be a full time starter, yet.

Glasgow would be a big surprise, but he was in against the 4th team and did next to nothing.  If they do keep him, it likely means 5 DT's, which will make it tough to keep 7 WR'S.

Which brings us to Core, who got hurt and is in a walking boot.  If he misses a couple of preseason games, he will be on the outside looking in, although I think they stash him on IR at that point.

I don;t look at who starts the game.. I look at down and distance players... I would start MJ for his veteran makeup but really our line is going to a rotation line.. outside of Dunlap and Atkins.. reps will vary on team we play, game plan, down and distance and score... 

Someone is going to have to show me they can stop the run before i take a cap hit and cut MJ
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 01:42 PM)Synric Wrote: I see Marcus Hardison and Cedric Peerman being cut.

Peerman is too valuable on special teams. I don't see him going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 02:14 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Peerman is too valuable on special teams. I don't see him going anywhere.

Carson took every snap at Peerman special teams position in the first game and I don't see it changing next saturday. He also played it at A&M. I wouldn't write him off just yet.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 01:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: ^This. 

I don't see why people love him so much. He's a decent WR but others bring more to the table. 

I like Core because he is young and is showing progress in camps and practices from a decent 2016 rookie year. I think he is a former safety so special teams should be a strength which is important for a 5th, 6th or 7th WR spot on the roster.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 02:36 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I like Core because he is young and is showing progress in camps and practices from a decent 2016 rookie year. I think he is a former safety so special teams should be a strength which is important for a 5th, 6th or 7th WR spot on the roster.

And that's fine, until a better option comes along. 

I wouldn't hold on to him over Erickson or Malone. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Did you even watch late last season man?

When AJ went down our Offense sucked cause we had no speed threat.

When Core finally was put in the game it opened up our Offense again.

Core is big, physical and fast. Rare qualities. AJ is the only WR we have on the team that has these qualities.
Reply/Quote
If I'm talking about a SURPRISE CUT then one name comes to mind and that is only if the younger guys really show out..I mean at an insane level..

I don't see it happening..

But if it happens..

Adam Jones..

MJ had better be looking over his shoulder hard though.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 10:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: MJ would be a surprise, but a justified one.

I think Randy Bullock will be released in favor of Elliott.  I know I may be nitpicking, but all of Bullock's kicks seem to have a hook to them and I can't think that will bode well once the wind has picked up.  Elliott hits a clean, straight ball, and has also reached the touchback for kickoffs.

When they said something about needing to find the next great kicker, I don't think they meant one that had been in the league for 7 or so years.  Elliott will be very affordable for four years and he looks to be very adept at the kicking game.  He will win the job.

I personally would prefer that they cut MJ, but only if Chris Smith shows he's the real deal.  Pressure wise he seems to be there, but I don't know about his run stopping skills.  If he's a good run stopper, I would just cut MJ and Will Clarke and let Chris Smith, Gilberry and Lawson man the right DE spot in a rotational/nickel situational way.  Even if they need to sign a guy later in the year due to injury, I would wager that Will Clarke will be available, and maybe even MJ although he has a better chance of finding another team.

As far as Elliott vs. Bullock, so far it seems that Bullock has been better, but maybe Elliott would be better for the long run.  Although, I think if Elliott is the kicker this year, we likely have to deal with some growing pains based on his misses so far in training camp.  I'm not sure which way they should go here since I don't want to cut Elliott, but also don't think that he's beaten out Bullock in any way.  I would go so far as to say Bullock's play warrants that he win the job, but in the long run, Elliot might be a better choice.   
Reply/Quote
I'm going to say one of the TE's probably C.J. Uzomah and that leaving room for the scrappy Schreck to make the team. I'm probably completely wrong, but it would be a surprise.

Another guy I'd look at would be Vincent Rey. Just caught up in the numbers game and the unit trying to get younger, Vigil, Burfict, Minter, Lawson, and you have Evans, Nickerson and Flowers all making nice plays in camp.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

(08-14-2017, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Did you even watch late last season man?

When AJ went down our Offense sucked cause we had no speed threat.

When Core finally was put in the game it opened up our Offense again.

Core is big, physical and fast. Rare qualities. AJ is the only WR we have on the team that has these qualities.

Nate, I'm somewhere between rfaulk and you in my assessment of Core. I think he has made some strides, so he has shown that he's a hard worker who is focused on improving. I also remember the Houston game last year where he looked pretty much out of place (I've heard this is because he wasn't expected to play until A.J was held out at the last minute, so he didn't get a chance to practice routes etc., but I'm paraphrasing here). I didn't see the Baltimore game, but his stats show that he had a decent game (not necessarily a dominant one). I would be all for keeping him this year, if it wasn't for the fact that he's competing against Erickson and Malone. I think the Bengals should keep Erickson purely for his return skills (as he ranked 1st or 2nd in the AFC, I don't remember), and he might be even better this year now that he's not a rookie anymore. Anything he can give as a receiver is icing on the cake. Based on the Malone hype I've read, it seems this guy can be a great deep threat in a year or two, a little bit like Chris Henry. I will readily admit I've not seen either Malone or Core play in any training camp videos or even the first preseason game, so if any of you guys have a better idea based on what you've seen, I can respect that. I just think Malone might be a bit better in a year or two and also given the fact (more like educated guess) that he would be picked up in a hurry if the Bengals put him on the PS, I'd rather give the spot to him. Core brings good value as STer, and last WR, but if it's between him, Malone and Erickson, I would have to make a very difficult choice to cut Core. I hope it doesn't come to that and we keep 7 WRs, and find a way to trim the fat somewhere else on the roster. I think in another year, he might become polished enough that we can move all the receivers up one spot when LaFell is out.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if LaFell's name should be brought up in this. Is he a lock? Just asking the question...
We have some talent in Boyd, Malone, and Ross. Green is an automatic. Eifert can play in the slot.
Erickson is just pesky effective and returns kicks. Do you cut a young guy Core in favor of a more experienced veteran LaFell? I see that LaFell was just mentioned..
Reply/Quote
I think we will see a few guys get cut this year in favor of us getting younger. Guys I see not making it are:

Offense-

1)Winston-I think Andre becomes the G/T swing guy
2)Peerman- seems to always be injured, I think we keep Carson here as he can carry the rock on occasion better 4th RB.

Defense-

1) Hardison-cant seem to stay healthy
2) Thompson-see above
3) Gilberry/Clark-one will be gone.
4) Bullock- were going with Elliot.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 03:32 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I wonder if LaFell's name should be brought up in this.  Is he a lock?  Just asking the question...
We have some talent in Boyd, Malone, and Ross.  Green is an automatic.  Eifert can play in the slot.
Erickson is just pesky effective and returns kicks.  Do you cut a young guy Core in favor of a more experienced veteran LaFell?  I see that LaFell was just mentioned..

If the Bengals think they can win a playoff game this year, it would be wise to keep LaFell on the roster. He's still a solid receiver.
If the Bengals don't think that, then may as well cut LaFell and roll with the youngsters.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote