Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swedish asylum worker stabbed to death
(01-26-2016, 11:53 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: "They" are savages? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the one that did the stabbing was subdued by other refugees in the center, was he not? Seems they don't agree with his actions if they were doing that. You seem to be making several assumptions here not supported by any sort of evidence as well as a sweeping generalization.

I am with the authorities on applauding the other young men in the house that subdued the murderer. A bit of good in with the horror of the story that will often go overlooked in some media outlets.

it appears some still live by some old ways others feel are outdated..

And anywhere you look in the world you can find decent human beings and asshats
(01-28-2016, 10:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Oh but it's ok for you to get technical on people about definitions of words or their use of pronouns, but not when it's used against you?
I seem to recall you correcting people about the proper age group that is associated to the use of the word pedophile.

teen·ag·er
a person aged from 13 to 19 years.

child

a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.

Massachusetts Legal age for marriage with parent consent is 12, NH is 13, TX is 14, everyone else is 15 and up, or in cases younger than that age has to be decided in court. 

I have no problem with getting technical in discussions with me. I put a section in bold there for you in your definitions, however, that you might want to pay attention to. You see, the age of majority in this country is at least 18 in every state but Kansas and Nebraska, and in those cases it is only younger if you are married. So in getting married under 18, you would still be a child until the marriage occurs. Child is synonymous with minor per the very definition you posted, meaning any bride or groom under 18 is a child bride or groom in this country.

(01-28-2016, 10:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: However, you continually miss the point, we are not a perfect society, but as a whole, we are pretty much against child marriages and even early teenage marriages. It is not a normal part of our society. Our problem currently is that our laws are not setup to deal with "Forced Marriages", that was not something that happened with a high enough frequency in our past, so it was never really truly addressed thru laws and legislation. There has been more laws recently trying to address it and I'm sure there will be more coming.

Honestly, I don't hear much about it so I wouldn't know whether or not to say it is something our society is really against as a whole. Marriage under the age of majority has been around for a long time in this country, it has been acceptable through a good portion of out history and a societal norm as well. The idea of women being married in adulthood and for love is a 20th century invention in western civilization, maybe late 19th for some areas regarding the love aspect. This isn't something that we are all that advanced on, really, and it should be no surprise to us that developing nations, nations behind western society by decades if not centuries, should still have it as part of their norms.

So no, I'm not missing the point. I just don't think that particular point, something that our society is not very far removed from, really works all that well in the argument.
(01-28-2016, 12:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have no problem with getting technical in discussions with me. I put a section in bold there for you in your definitions, however, that you might want to pay attention to. You see, the age of majority in this country is at least 18 in every state but Kansas and Nebraska, and in those cases it is only younger if you are married. So in getting married under 18, you would still be a child until the marriage occurs. Child is synonymous with minor per the very definition you posted, meaning any bride or groom under 18 is a child bride or groom in this country.

Honestly, I don't hear much about it so I wouldn't know whether or not to say it is something our society is really against as a whole. Marriage under the age of majority has been around for a long time in this country, it has been acceptable through a good portion of out history and a societal norm as well. The idea of women being married in adulthood and for love is a 20th century invention in western civilization, maybe late 19th for some areas regarding the love aspect. This isn't something that we are all that advanced on, really, and it should be no surprise to us that developing nations, nations behind western society by decades if not centuries, should still have it as part of their norms.

So no, I'm not missing the point. I just don't think that particular point, something that our society is not very far removed from, really works all that well in the argument.

I knew you would jump on that part of the definition. Tongue
Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are a part of the US and the age of Majority in both of those is 14.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-28-2016, 02:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I knew you would jump on that part of the definition. Tongue
Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are a part of the US and the age of Majority in both of those is 14.

When I searched for it, it came up 18. Tongue
(01-28-2016, 10:58 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Oh but it's ok for you to get technical on people about definitions of words or their use of pronouns, but not when it's used against you?
I seem to recall you correcting people about the proper age group that is associated to the use of the word pedophile.

teen·ag·er
a person aged from 13 to 19 years.

child

a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.

Massachusetts Legal age for marriage with parent consent is 12, NH is 13, TX is 14, everyone else is 15 and up, or in cases younger than that age has to be decided in court. 

However, you continually miss the point, we are not a perfect society, but as a whole, we are pretty much against child marriages and even early teenage marriages. It is not a normal part of our society. Our problem currently is that our laws are not setup to deal with "Forced Marriages", that was not something that happened with a high enough frequency in our past, so it was never really truly addressed thru laws and legislation. There has been more laws recently trying to address it and I'm sure there will be more coming.

I don't believe Matt's point was child marriage is a normal part of our society.  Matt's point is we aren't a perfect society and bad stuff happens here, too.  Acknowledging bad stuff happens here doesn't mean we condone the bad things others do over there.  People shouldn't judge an entire group based upon the actions of a some members within the group.
(01-28-2016, 04:26 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I don't believe Matt's point was child marriage is a normal part of our society.  Matt's point is we aren't a perfect society and bad stuff happens here, too.  Acknowledging bad stuff happens here doesn't mean we condone the bad things others do over there.  People shouldn't judge an entire group based upon the actions of a some members within the group.

He wasn't saying that I was condoning it, and I was saying that child marriage is a part of society and more normal than many people realize. It's becoming less so, but it's not something that is in our distant past and doesn't happen anymore. Our laws still allow for it in many places and our societal norms make the majority feel, I would say uncomfortable, about it, but in all honesty I see more shunning of same-sex adult couples than the idea of child marriage within the laws of our land.