Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Switch Tackles & Draft C
Ted karras is a top 10 center in the NFL, why would I not just put JPJ or Graham Barton at guard if I'm drafting a guard? just doesn't make much sense to me

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 07:25 PM)TKUHL Wrote: First I’m not hating the players at all. I just want to know with the amount of plays we run in shotgun, if it would make more sense to put Trent at LT & Orlando at RT. Also draft a C high and move Karras to LG. If you don’t agree with the tackle switch, that’s fine. I just think Karras ( my favorite Bengal btw) plays better at G.

Thoughts….

The T's aren't switching.  Besides, Trent has played RT more recently than OBJ.

C will depend on how the board falls and where the value is.  It is a pretty good C draft, but I don't know if we will take one high due to more immediate needs and the fact that a lot of the top C prospects this year have arm length issues, which is especially bad for shotgun heavy offenses.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 10:54 AM)Okeana Wrote: Ted karras is a top 10 center in the NFL, why would I not just put JPJ or Graham Barton at guard if I'm drafting a guard?  just doesn't make much sense to me

is there anything to back this up?

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 10:54 AM)Okeana Wrote: Ted karras is a top 10 center in the NFL, why would I not just put JPJ or Graham Barton at guard if I'm drafting a guard?  just doesn't make much sense to me

Karras top 10?  Debatable.  What's not debatable, is that he's a free agent next year.  The Bengals need an infusion of quality IOL this year and beyond.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 07:25 PM)TKUHL Wrote: First I’m not hating the players at all. I just want to know with the amount of plays we run in shotgun, if it would make more sense to put Trent at LT & Orlando at RT. Also draft a C high and move Karras to LG. If you don’t agree with the tackle switch, that’s fine. I just think Karras ( my favorite Bengal btw) plays better at G.

Thoughts….

Not happening, Orlando came here to play LT and Trent is only on a 1 year deal.

All for drafting a Center high like Powers-Johnson or Graham Barton though so we can move Karras to LG where he has played 
even better than Center in his career.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 02:11 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Karras top 10?  Debatable.  What's not debatable, is that he's a free agent next year.  The Bengals need an infusion of quality IOL this year and beyond.

hes still in his prime, you pay the guy.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 04:15 PM)Okeana Wrote: hes still in his prime, you pay the guy.

He'll be heading into his age 32 season when he's a FA, and he's already a pretty middle-of-the-pack starter so he doesn't have much degradation of ability available before he becomes a bottom-tier starter.

Between top-10 and still in his prime, I am wondering if you're talking about the same Ted Karras as everyone else. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 01:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: is there anything to back this up?

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-center-rankings-top-32-ahead-of-the-2023-nfl-season , the point is that the guy is serviceable, he's a high character guy, he's playing on a reasonable contract, and he loves this team.  Ted Karras has no injury history or concerns. Use the pick on something more pressing, like replacing a higgins, getting a DT, or OT/G.  

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 04:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-center-rankings-top-32-ahead-of-the-2023-nfl-season , the point is that the guy is serviceable, he's a high character guy, he's playing on a reasonable contract, and he loves this team.  Ted Karras has no injury history or concerns. Use the pick on something more pressing, like replacing a higgins, getting a DT, or OT/G.  

I dont think you know what top 10 or prime means, friend

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
I think there's one person's vote whose counts more than anyone else's when deciding who will be at Center and I don't think it's Pritcher or Pollack.

He wears #9.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 04:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-center-rankings-top-32-ahead-of-the-2023-nfl-season , the point is that the guy is serviceable, he's a high character guy, he's playing on a reasonable contract, and he loves this team.  Ted Karras has no injury history or concerns. Use the pick on something more pressing, like replacing a higgins, getting a DT, or OT/G.  

This list by Gordon was written before the 2023 season.  I love Ted, but Top 10?

Edit, Ted was #15 overall in 2023 and #22 in PBLK amongst Centers.

Reply/Quote
Ted Karras = Kyle Cook
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

62 and 67 pff the last 2 years doesn't scream top 10 sorry.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 09:57 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: How different is he than Jonah?

Well, for starters Barton likely won't play tackle and doesn't need to.  Bring him in and let him compete for a spot in year 1.  Guard, center, doesn't matter.  Jonah wasn't asked to play anything but LT until his final year.  There were scouting reports that claimed Jonah would make a better guard or center than tackle, but who really knows?

Secondly, Barton won't make anything near what Jonah did in his final season here or next season with AZ.  If anything, drafting Barton might be a way for them to cultivate a player more efficiently than they did with Williams.  Call him an interior guy from day one.  No mixed messaging.  If something happens, he can back up the starters at tackle.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 05:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ted Karras = Kyle Cook

Healthy Kyle Cook or post-injury Kyle Cook?  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 05:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think there's one person's vote whose counts more than anyone else's when deciding who will be at Center and I don't think it's Pritcher or Pollack.

He wears #9.

Why?  He's not the GM and mostly takes shotgun snaps.  I'm thinking if Duke thinks a center is a good pick, it's going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 05:30 PM)samhain Wrote: Healthy Kyle Cook or post-injury Kyle Cook?  

Right, because there's a huge difference. Healthy Kyle Cook was very good. And another thing Cook and Karras have in common is they were/are very smart centers.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 07:19 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Why?  He's not the GM and mostly takes shotgun snaps.  I'm thinking if Duke thinks a center is a good pick, it's going to happen.

And the first thing Burrow says when he approaches the line is "What do we have Ted?" to ensure they are seeing the same things.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 09:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And the first thing Burrow says when he approaches the line is "What do we have Ted?" to ensure they are seeing the same things.

It's not about replacing Ted as some seem to want to.  He's getting the job done at a position that was an automatic scapegoat here since Richie Braham left.  I'm good with that.

If you draft an OL in 1, he needs to be a guy that can compete to be one of the best 5 OL on the roster.  If he's not, then groom him to replace Brown or Cappa.  Or use him as quality depth.  If he is one of the best 5, then Volson is the one who should be on the bench.

I keep Ted where he is for as long as he's physically able.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 10:17 AM)samhain Wrote: It's not about replacing Ted as some seem to want to.  He's getting the job done at a position that was an automatic scapegoat here since Richie Braham left.  I'm good with that.

If you draft an OL in 1, he needs to be a guy that can compete to be one of the best 5 OL on the roster.  If he's not, then groom him to replace Brown or Cappa.  Or use him as quality depth.  If he is one of the best 5, then Volson is the one who should be on the bench.

I keep Ted where he is for as long as he's physically able.  

Right, and if we need a tackle draft a tackle. If we need a guard draft a guard. Unless you get a chance at one of the few "Swiss Army Knife" lineman that can play all the positions, quit trying to put a round peg in a square hole. 
Reply/Quote