Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Switch Tackles & Draft C
(03-22-2024, 10:17 AM)samhain Wrote: It's not about replacing Ted as some seem to want to.  He's getting the job done at a position that was an automatic scapegoat here since Richie Braham left.  I'm good with that.

If you draft an OL in 1, he needs to be a guy that can compete to be one of the best 5 OL on the roster.  If he's not, then groom him to replace Brown or Cappa.  Or use him as quality depth.  If he is one of the best 5, then Volson is the one who should be on the bench.

I keep Ted where he is for as long as he's physically able.  

Spot on, don't understand some wanting to replace Ted, he is one of our good OL. I do understand moving him to Left Guard if we 
get another good Center but as we have seen, that is easier said than done and getting a good Center is not easy.

(03-22-2024, 12:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, and if we need a tackle draft a tackle. If we need a guard draft a guard. Unless you get a chance at one of the few "Swiss Army Knife" lineman that can play all the positions, quit trying to put a round peg in a square hole. 

Yes, no more of this drafting a LT and trying to put him on the rights side stuff unless he did it a lot in college.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 12:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, and if we need a tackle draft a tackle. If we need a guard draft a guard. Unless you get a chance at one of the few "Swiss Army Knife" lineman that can play all the positions, quit trying to put a round peg in a square hole. 

Agree.  

Also, I'm very grateful that they finally got back to having monster OTs here.  

It got real sideways the year that Alexander decided to change his philosophy and abandon the massive, athletic OTs for dudes that look like power forwards.  Whitworth was a massive OT.  Willie was a massive OT.  Both were elite not only as Bengals, but in the league.  That shift killed OL play on this team for a mind-numbingly long time.  

We can't say that anymore.  We have two absolute giants out there, and both of them have excellent track records when healthy.  
Reply/Quote