Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synric's Mock Me (Thanksgiving)
I usually wait until after College Football Championship weekend to post my first mock of the year but being the way the season has gone figured I would go ahead and post this now as a way of showing Thanks.

Cut Joe Mixon
Tag Tee Higgins
Resign DJ Reader - 2 years 32m

Free Agency:
Devin Singletary - 3 years 13m - Singletary is one of the better pass blocking backs in the league. He would be a solid veteran presence in a rebuilding position group.

Hunter Henry - 2 year 11m - Veteran Consistency in a rebuilding position group.

Javon Kinlaw - 1 year 3.5m - Kinlaw has been injured and inconsistent but add a chance at an IDL pass rusher cheap.

Picking 11th in the  2024 NFL draft the Cincinnati Bengals select...

1. Taliese Fuaga OT Oregon State - An explosive bulldozer in the run game on nibble feet Fuaga is a scheme versatile run blocker. In pass protection he took a huge step forward this year and even nearly shut down UCLA's Laiatu Latu giving up only one pressure. Coach Pollack if you are reading this say it with me T-A-L-I-E-S-E  F-U-A-G-A.

2. TreVeyon Henderson RB Ohio State - Talent Talent Talent. Former top 10 recruit Henderson has all the tools fit any scheme you want. He has the body control and speed to challenge leverage in zone and short area quickness to make defenders miss in a phone booth. He is also not afraid to lower his shoulder. At this point minor injuries have limited his carries. His best football is ahead of him.

3. Tyleik Williams DL Ohio State - Another Ohio State prospect Williams is the most disruptive member of OSU's defensive line with the size and athleticism to play any position from the 0 to 4i. He has been a bit inconsistant in his first year as the starter but like Henderson his best football is ahead of him.

4. Jackson Powers-Johnson IOL Oregon - Former 4 star recruit JPJ has bounced all over Oregon's OL the last couple season's taking snaps at G, C, and RT. Although there have been alot of inconsistancies like you'd expect moving around so much he has been settling in at Center.

5. Kiran Amegadijie OT Yale - I know what your thinking "Syn you're full of **** you don't watch Ivy League Football" and you are 1000% right. Jim Nagy mentioned him as a guy early this year as their potential FCS climber into day 2. You can find some of his stuff and see why 6'5 320 36inch arms light on his feet and dominating the Ivy League. A midseason Quad injury will cost him his Senior Bowl appearance but mid day 3 for possible LT.

5. Brenden Rice WR USC - Yes Son of HoF Jerry Rice Brenden is his own player he has the size and speed to be special needs play with a little more physicality at the stem and catch point. WR room continues to add competition.

6. Theo Johnson TE Penn State - Johnson was supposed to be the dude at Penn State after Pat Freiermuth went to the NFL and it never materialized. An early minor injury in 2022 became the emergence of Brenton Strange and then Sean Clifford leaving making Drew Allar his QB and as OSU fans have seen Drew Allar is meh this year. Theo is very talented prospect that is a solid experienced blocker but also has the athleticism to develop into a really good receiving TE.

7. Zemaiah Vaughn CB Utah - Vaughn is a height weight speed zone corner with great length he is a little stiff in transitions but expected of a taller corner. Grabby Utah Corners are very Grabby.

7. Francisco Mauigoa LB Miami - Long light weight rangy LB for Miami. Mauigoa is an experienced special teamer.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2023, 01:37 PM)Synric Wrote: I usually wait until after College Football Championship weekend to post my first mock of the year but being the way the season has gone figured I would go ahead and post this now as a way of showing Thanks.

Cut Joe Mixon
Tag Tee Higgins
Resign DJ Reader - 2 years 32m

Free Agency:
Devin Singletary - 3 years 13m - Singletary is one of the better pass blocking backs in the league. He would be a solid veteran presence in a rebuilding position group.

Hunter Henry - 2 year 11m - Veteran Consistency in a rebuilding position group.

Javon Kinlaw - 1 year 3.5m - Kinlaw has been injured and inconsistent but add a chance at an IDL pass rusher cheap.

Picking 11th in the  2024 NFL draft the Cincinnati Bengals select...

1. Taliese Fuaga OT Oregon State - An explosive bulldozer in the run game on nibble feet Fuaga is a scheme versatile run blocker. In pass protection he took a huge step forward this year and even nearly shut down UCLA's Laiatu Latu giving up only one pressure. Coach Pollack if you are reading this say it with me T-A-L-I-E-S-E  F-U-A-G-A.

2. TreVeyon Henderson RB Ohio State - Talent Talent Talent. Former top 10 recruit Henderson has all the tools fit any scheme you want. He has the body control and speed to challenge leverage in zone and short area quickness to make defenders miss in a phone booth. He is also not afraid to lower his shoulder. At this point minor injuries have limited his carries. His best football is ahead of him.

3. Tyleik Williams DL Ohio State - Another Ohio State prospect Williams is the most disruptive member of OSU's defensive line with the size and athleticism to play any position from the 0 to 4i. He has been a bit inconsistant in his first year as the starter but like Henderson his best football is ahead of him.

4. Jackson Powers-Johnson IOL Oregon - Former 4 star recruit JPJ has bounced all over Oregon's OL the last couple season's taking snaps at G, C, and RT. Although there have been alot of inconsistancies like you'd expect moving around so much he has been settling in at Center.

5. Kiran Amegadijie OT Yale - I know what your thinking "Syn you're full of **** you don't watch Ivy League Football" and you are 1000% right. Jim Nagy mentioned him as a guy early this year as their potential FCS climber into day 2. You can find some of his stuff and see why 6'5 320 36inch arms light on his feet and dominating the Ivy League. A midseason Quad injury will cost him his Senior Bowl appearance but mid day 3 for possible LT.

5. Brenden Rice WR USC - Yes Son of HoF Jerry Rice Brenden is his own player he has the size and speed to be special needs play with a little more physicality at the stem and catch point. WR room continues to add competition.

6. Theo Johnson TE Penn State - Johnson was supposed to be the dude at Penn State after Pat Freiermuth went to the NFL and it never materialized. An early minor injury in 2022 became the emergence of Brenton Strange and then Sean Clifford leaving making Drew Allar his QB and as OSU fans have seen Drew Allar is meh this year. Theo is very talented prospect that is a solid experienced blocker but also has the athleticism to develop into a really good receiving TE.

7. Zemaiah Vaughn CB Utah - Vaughn is a height weight speed zone corner with great length he is a little stiff in transitions but expected of a taller corner. Grabby Utah Corners are very Grabby.

7. Francisco Mauigoa LB Miami - Long light weight rangy LB for Miami. Mauigoa is an experienced special teamer.

Love it outside of Henderson
Reply/Quote
Interesting you have us picking 11th. I can see anywhere from 7th to 22.

I am not sure why we would cut Mixon, he has been one of our most consistent performers and a decent contract as well.

I like Henderson pick, but if we are targeting a RB in draft, why sign Singletary?

I am hoping Browns gets in the weight room and add some strength.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think Fuaga is a solid prospect, but no way I'd take him at #11.
Reply/Quote
I need to pay more attention to JPJ.

I like Fuaga plays RT so one less thing for them to try to project to the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2023, 04:41 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Love it outside of Henderson

(11-23-2023, 04:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Interesting you have us picking 11th. I can see anywhere from 7th to 22.

I am not sure why we would cut Mixon, he has been one of our most consistent performers and a decent contract as well.

I like Henderson pick, but if we are targeting a RB in draft, why sign Singletary?

I am hoping Browns gets in the weight room and add some strength.

First I have +28 rep and not shy about using it.

I've seen estimations are are putting thr Bengals in the 9 to 13 range I split the difference for the 11th pick. 

While Mixon is just outside the top 10 in Efficiency he is around 15th in rushing yards over expected and 30+ in yards over expected percentage (rush attempt per amounts per rush) Mixon rarely creates yards on his own and only gets the yards that hes blocked up for him.  Mixon is consistently average and getting paid like a top running back. 

Singletary isn't a workload running back he is more like Giovani Bernard a smaller change of pace guy that is solid in pass protection, as a runner, and pass catcher. But truth be told I'd rather go Damien Harris because he is a little bit bigger will be cheaper and you can put him in the same role as the 3rd down back. Harris's recent neck injury is scarey no surgery but he's still on IR. 

Jpoore I'm surprised you aren't a Henderson fan because that Ohio State offense is completely different with him in the lineup. He is punishing teams for going 7 man boxes trying to cover Marvin Harrison. I can understand the injury thing though but it was a broken bone in his foot and an undisclosed minor injury this year. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2023, 10:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think Fuaga is a solid prospect, but no way I'd take him at #11.

(11-24-2023, 03:18 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I need to pay more attention to JPJ.

I like Fuaga plays RT so one less thing for them to try to project to the NFL.

Fuaga is the best RT in the class so his value will start where a team needs a RT. The highest in the draft order right now is the Jets who need a RT desperately they are 11 (Green Bay won yesterday so that puts them at 10 until they play today.) But for draft range it's the Jets Raiders Bengals Steelers Chargers Dolphins possibly the Packers depending what they want to do with emerging Zach Tom. Those are where the RTs Fuaga Latham and possibly Mims will go in the first round.

Breech this weekend will be Oregon State vs Oregon the marchups for JPJ and Fuaga aren't the best this week but rivalry games are always fun. Oregon does have alot of highly recruited young pass rushers though.

And +rep.

Edit: Oregon vs Oregon State is tonight at 8:30 est.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2023, 10:46 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think Fuaga is a solid prospect, but no way I'd take him at #11.

I'd take him at 11 in a heartbeat.

Kid is a complete RT.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 08:31 AM)Synric Wrote: Fuaga is the best RT in the class so his value will start where a team needs a RT. The highest in the draft order right now is the Jets who need a RT desperately they are 11 (Green Bay won yesterday so that puts them at 10 until they play today.) But for draft range it's the Jets Raiders Bengals Steelers Chargers Dolphins possibly the Packers depending what they want to do with emerging Zach Tom. Those are where the RTs Fuaga Latham and possibly Mims will go in the first round.

Breech this weekend will be Oregon State vs Oregon the marchups for JPJ and Fuaga aren't the best this week but rivalry games are always fun. Oregon does have alot of highly recruited young pass rushers though.

And +rep.

Edit: Oregon vs Oregon State is tonight at 8:30 est.

Personally, at #11, you need to look hard at a Top 10 talent that falls due to a reach at QB.  Fuaga simply isn't that kind of talent.

I'm not a big fan of Fuaga for us in particular due to issues with his second level blocking and blocking in space.  This is an area we really need to improve to help the run and screen games.  I would definitely take Latham in this spot, possibly Mims if I was locked in on RT.  

It will be interesting to see how Darnell Wright's performance this year affects teams reaching for college RT's in the draft, especially since most of your top LT prospects started at RT before moving over.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2023, 04:41 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Love it outside of Henderson

I'm a fan!!

If Latham was available I would want to take him, but I'm a fan of Fuaga.   

I love Henderson.  An underrated back that I'd be surprised to see when we pick, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.  

Love the Powers pick, and I'm not sure I wouldn't take him at 3 and make sure he's there.  I also like Frazier out of Oregon and would be very tempted to take them at 3 and 4 respectively and  take care of guard and center at the same time.   Also love the Amegadigie and Rice picks!

One of the few people who has endorsed re-signing Reader, which I feel is a must

I approve this message!!
Reply/Quote
LOL - I meant to copy Synric's post
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 11:55 AM)Whatever Wrote: Personally, at #11, you need to look hard at a Top 10 talent that falls due to a reach at QB.  Fuaga simply isn't that kind of talent.

I'm not a big fan of Fuaga for us in particular due to issues with his second level blocking and blocking in space.  This is an area we really need to improve to help the run and screen games.  I would definitely take Latham in this spot, possibly Mims if I was locked in on RT.  

It will be interesting to see how Darnell Wright's performance this year affects teams reaching for college RT's in the draft, especially since most of your top LT prospects started at RT before moving over.

Not alot of issue there yea sometimes he will get to the spot before the LB and has trouble redirecting that 330lbs in space but he is still very good at climbing to the second level and blocking in space. He is asked to do it quite often in their zone stretch offense. I have Fuaga over Latham because he does have that scheme versatility you aren't going to draft Latham to cross the face of the 4i or 3T as the backside cutoff block in a zone stretch but Fuaga can do both. In pass protection Fuaga's biggest issue is sometime he will over set against speed rushers that have have out wide in the 9t which will give up his inside shoulder. Latham you are forever worried about his technique not being perfect enough to make up for his foot speed. Can he combo inside then quick kick out to pick up a blitzer consistently?

Oh another team to add to the list of potential is the Commanders. If only 2 QBs go in the top 10 then 3 tackles definitely will.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 08:20 AM)Synric Wrote: First I have +28 rep and not shy about using it.

I've seen estimations are are putting thr Bengals in the 9 to 13 range I split the difference for the 11th pick. 

While Mixon is just outside the top 10 in Efficiency he is around 15th in rushing yards over expected and 30+ in yards over expected percentage (rush attempt per amounts per rush) Mixon rarely creates yards on his own and only gets the yards that hes blocked up for him.  Mixon is consistently average and getting paid like a top running back. 

Singletary isn't a workload running back he is more like Giovani Bernard a smaller change of pace guy that is solid in pass protection, as a runner, and pass catcher. But truth be told I'd rather go Damien Harris because he is a little bit bigger will be cheaper and you can put him in the same role as the 3rd down back. Harris's recent neck injury is scarey no surgery but he's still on IR. 

Jpoore I'm surprised you aren't a Henderson fan because that Ohio State offense is completely different with him in the lineup. He is punishing teams for going 7 man boxes trying to cover Marvin Harrison. I can understand the injury thing though but it was a broken bone in his foot and an undisclosed minor injury this year. 
2 reasons. 1. He’s stayed hurt in college. Minor injuries here or there. Not a great outlook. 2. Controversial but I believe Milan Williams is the more complete back. Depends what we’re looking for. Home run threat? That’s Henderson, but he’s gonna constantly miss a game or 2 here or there/always be on injured list(see tee Higgins) Or bowling ball who is great in pass pro. That’s minyan Williams. He didn’t have a great year this year partly due to oline/qb issues but last year he was 4th in forced missed tackle rate, 4th in yards after contact per attempt, and 4th in first down-touchdown percentage. He’s constantly bowling over people at 5”9 225. Phenomenal contact balance. I just prefer minyan in the 5th over Henderson in the 2nd. But again what we need isn’t a Mayan Williams. It likely is a Henderso a home run threat. But if we let mixon go I could see us double dipping. I’d grab Miyan Williams later and a speed back really late. Personal preference is jaylen wright from tenessee with 4.2 speed to pair with Williams. I just want my high round RBs to be more consistent and more durable. The hits are gonna be harder at nfl level
Reply/Quote
Thanks for sharing Synric! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

You know my #1 goal is to fix the Oline so I'm all for any draft that starts with a big fella to protect Joe. Fuaga has been a big riser this year and its easy to see why. The guy is solid all the way around. A natural fit at RT. He can move people in the running game but what's surprised me is his ability to pass protect. I didn't expect him to move as well as he does. I would be curious to see who else was on the board at #11 but I would be on board with this pick.

Williams in 3 would be a really good pick. I like how active he is and we need someone to rotate with Hill.

You already know how I feel about JPJ. I know we disagree a bit on where he will go but I would be ecstatic with him being on the board in the 4th round.

5 through 7 I don't know much about yet minus Theo.

The only pick Im undecided on is TreVeyon Henderson. I need to watch more of him.

Nice job!
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 03:42 PM)Synric Wrote: Not alot of issue there yea sometimes he will get to the spot before the LB and has trouble redirecting that 330lbs in space but he is still very good at climbing to the second level and blocking in space. He is asked to do it quite often in their zone stretch offense. I have Fuaga over Latham because he does have that scheme versatility you aren't going to draft Latham to cross the face of the 4i or 3T as the backside cutoff block in a zone stretch but Fuaga can do both. In pass protection Fuaga's biggest issue is sometime he will over set against speed rushers that have have out wide in the 9t which will give up his inside shoulder. Latham you are forever worried about his technique not being perfect enough to make up for his foot speed. Can he combo inside then quick kick out to pick up a blitzer consistently?

Oh another team to add to the list of potential is the Commanders. If only 2 QBs go in the top 10 then 3 tackles definitely will.

Fuaga is terribly inconsistent at this.  His Utah tape was especially ugly in this regard to me.  He seems out of control a lot of the time.  He did look better in this regard against Washington State, to be fair.  He does well on reach blocks, but second level blocking, especially when climbing after making an initial block at the point of attack is an adventure.

To me, Latham is much better at second level blocking, especially climbing after making the initial block.  His LSU tape was really good in this regard.  I never saw him struggling him to make reach blocks.  One thing I love about his run blocking is his ability to create holes by turning the defender to the outside.  

As far as pass pro goes, they're both college RT's and pass pro isn't going to be a strength for either in the pros, at least early in their careers.  If you're looking for a rookie starter, Latham has faced more NFL caliber pass rushers.  
Reply/Quote
You like schools that start with O.

I like some of the kids (especially the RT), but both the draft and FA seems O (see what I did) heavy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 08:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: Fuaga is terribly inconsistent at this.  His Utah tape was especially ugly in this regard to me.  He seems out of control a lot of the time.  He did look better in this regard against Washington State, to be fair.  He does well on reach blocks, but second level blocking, especially when climbing after making an initial block at the point of attack is an adventure.

To me, Latham is much better at second level blocking, especially climbing after making the initial block.  His LSU tape was really good in this regard.  I never saw him struggling him to make reach blocks.  One thing I love about his run blocking is his ability to create holes by turning the defender to the outside.  

As far as pass pro goes, they're both college RT's and pass pro isn't going to be a strength for either in the pros, at least early in their careers.  If you're looking for a rookie starter, Latham has faced more NFL caliber pass rushers.  

I would argue harder that Fuaga had as many pancakes at the second level in this Utah game as miss second level blocks not including a great combo and climb on their first TD and really nice pull on a sweep but... Fuaga had a bad game last night against Oregon I just watched the live broadcast but he didnt sustain his blocks like he usually does, I think he pulled up on the WLB on a wide zone stretch play, and lost his balance in pass pro and got pancaked himself lol.

JPJ had a better game but he really wasnt tested the Ducks had an easier night with alot of short crossers going for big gains. He did get his pads high a couple times and put on skates once, missed a couple second level blocks and miss timed his hands on another and ended up bear hugging the linebacker. Big wide body with great anchor. 

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 09:44 AM)Synric Wrote:

I would argue harder that Fuaga had as many pancakes at the second level in this Utah game as miss second level blocks not including a great combo and climb on their first TD and really nice pull on a sweep but... Fuaga had a bad game last night against Oregon I just watched the live broadcast but he didnt sustain his blocks like he usually does, I think he pulled up on the WLB on a wide zone stretch play, and lost his balance in pass pro and got pancaked himself lol.

JPJ had a better game but he really wasnt tested the Ducks had an easier night with alot of short crossers going for big gains. He did get his pads high a couple times and put on skates once, missed a couple second level blocks and miss timed his hands on another and ended up bear hugging the linebacker. Big wide body with great anchor. 

Just my thoughts on last nights game:

I thought Fuaga did fine. He didn’t make any incredible blocks but he did his job and was clearly Oregon States best lineman. He was solid in pass pro and most of the pressures and sacks came from elsewhere. The interior of Oregon States line really struggled and put everyone at a disadvantage.

JPJ was pretty good. There was one time he got beat by Mascardas (spelling?) on a spin move but it was really late in the play and had no impact. He was also a little wild at times, he went flying through the air on a Bo Nix scramble, I guess sometimes it’s hard to stop all that momentum lol. He had a very smart block on a pitch to the outside where he cut off a trailing defender without drawing a flag. Mostly when JPJ locked on to someone they were a non factor.

I still feel confident in both of these guys after last night’s game.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2023, 11:55 AM)Whatever Wrote: Personally, at #11, you need to look hard at a Top 10 talent that falls due to a reach at QB.  Fuaga simply isn't that kind of talent.

I would love a beast at RT who can anchor our OL for years. As for top 10 talents who drop, I always worry. Why did they drop? Was it just the teams in top 10 had a bigger need, or is the player not as good as his draft prediction.

If we come away in 2024 with Fuaga and Henderson, I would be very happy.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2023, 09:44 AM)Synric Wrote:

That's why I say he's inconsistent.  Pancakes are great and all, but I'd rather have the guy that consistently gets to the second level and makes the block than the guy who puts a guy on the ground one rep and completely whiffs the next.  When he's going against NFL size, power, speed, and football IQ, those pancakes are going to be fewer and fewer and those whiffs are going to be more and more.  

Fuaga is a developmental prospect to me, and I don't see taking a guy that needs that much development at #11.  At #20, sure, no problem, though I'd want a stopgap RT added in FA.  
Reply/Quote