Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synric's Mock my First Round!
I did a full first round mock with 1 out of the box trade to "simulate" the how out of hand the trades can get lol.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave up a 4th round pick to move up 4 spots to get above the Washington Commanders for QB Will Levis. The Packers make the move to collect a pick and it really doesn't affect their board. I also traded Jonah Williams to the Patriots for pick #117. lol.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the First pick of the 2023 NFL Draft the...

1) Carolina Panthers - CJ Stroud QB, Ohio State
2) Houston Texans - Bryce Young QB, Alabama
3) Arizona Cardinals - Will Anderson Edge, Alabama
4) Indianapolis Colts - Anthony Richardson QB, Florida
5) Seattle Seahawks - Tyree Wilson Edge, Texas Tech
6) Detroit Lions - Christian Gonzalez CB, Oregon
7) Las Vegas Raiders Jalen Carter DL, Georgia
8) Atlanta Falcons - Myles Murphy Edge, Clemson
9) Chicago Bears - Broderick Jones OL, Georgia
10) Philadelphia Eagles - Devon Witherspoon CB, Illinios
11) Tennessee Titans - Peter Skoronski OL, Northwestern
12) Houston Texans - Jordan Addison WR, USC
13) New York Jets - Brian Branch S, Alabama
14) New England Patriots - Nolan Smith LB, Georgia
15) *Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Will Levis QB, Kentucky (Tampa Bay moves up for Levis over Washington)
16) Washington Commanders - Joey Porter Jr CB, Penn State
17) Pittsburgh Steelers - Darnell Wright OL, Tennessee
18) Detroit Lions -  Bijan Robinson RB, Texas
19) *Green Bay Packers - Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR, Ohio State (Green Bay gets a 4th round pick)
20) Seattle Seahawks - Lukas Van Ness, Iowa
21) Los Angeles Chargers - Michael Mayer TE, Notre Dame
22) Baltimore Ravens - Adetomiwa Adebawore DL, Northwestern
23) Minnesota Vikings - Quentin Johnston WR, TCU
24) Jacksonville Jaguars - Darnell Washington TE, Georgia
25) New York Giants - Deonte Banks CB, Maryland
26) Dallas Cowboys - Bryan Bresee DT, Clemson
27) Buffalo Bills - John Michael Schmitz OL, Minnesota

28) Cincinnati Bengals - Jahmyr Gibbs RB, Alabama - I've come full circle since December lol. Jahmyr Gibbs is one of the top playmakers in this draft class. The speed he adds to the first level of the Bengals Offense opens up plays downfield.

29) New Orleans Saints - Mazi Smith DL, Michigan
30) Philadelphia Eagles - Keion White DL, Georgia Tech
31) Kansas City Chiefs - Anton Harrison OL, Oklahoma

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

60) Luke Musgrave TE, Oregon State - With only two Tight Ends in the First Round I predict a slide for the athletic but in-experienced TE.

92) Tyler Scott WR, Cincinnati - Bengals continue to add speed to their offense. Scott will effect the spacing of defenses and give them another player they can get to ball in space.

*117) Sean Tucker RB, Syracuse - Tucker is a compact explosive running back. He is an instinctual runner but doesn't have much work as a receiver or blocker.

131) Jakorian Bennett CB, Maryland - Speed. Clone CTB and you have Bennett.

163)  Warren McClendon OL, Georgia - Three Year starter on a top program in the SEC. Lack of athleticism shows but he just does his job.

206) Brenton Strange TE, Penn State - Physical Player as a blocker and receiver. Was a rotational player at Penn State but took a spot from 2 guys ahead of him in 2022.

246) Dante Still DL, WVU - Rotation Interior pass rusher. Quick with a good first step will be able to twist very well but will be a liability in run defense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't forget to mention some of my fits for other teams first round picks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Double dip on both RB and TE? Can't see it playing out that way, but nice job. I can tell you put a lot of thought into the prospects.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 06:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Double dip on both RB and TE?  Can't see it playing out that way, but nice job.  I can tell you put a lot of thought into the prospects.

YES! Ive been predicting it since early January and the closer we get to draft day the more it looks like a reality lol!

Reply/Quote
I'd imagine this draft would make Lou very mad.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 07:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd imagine this draft would make Lou very mad.

no edge guy  Whatever
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 07:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd imagine this draft would make Lou very mad.

Last year Callahan only got Cordell Volson so I suppose he will just have to tell Lou to go play with the toys he already has lol.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 07:21 PM)kalibengal Wrote: no edge guy  Whatever

No Defense until RD 5. 

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 08:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No Defense until RD 5. 

Round 4 and a higher pick than Volson.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 08:58 PM)Synric Wrote: Round 4 and a higher pick than Volson.

Yeah, I didn't track 2 4th rounders. WTS, last year we did a lot in FA on offense and this year we've done more on O in FA.

As to the picks:

I dig Gibbs at 28 and I could see a team such as Washington coming back up to take Hooker

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2023, 09:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, I didn't track 2 4th rounders. WTS, last year we did a lot in FA on offense and this year we've done more on O in FA.

As to the picks:

I dig Gibbs at 28 and I could see a team such as Washington coming back up to take Hooker

Gibbs is my favorite offensive prospect for the Bengals offense.

As for a QB at #28 When I was doing the first round I can easily talk myself into Levis falling and Hooker rising. Either could be a pick at the end the first.

Reply/Quote
The only selections I would like for the Bengals would be Bennett and Strange. Sorry but I can only hope this is not the way our draft turns out.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 10:46 AM)OSUfan Wrote: The only selections I would like for the Bengals would be Bennett and Strange. Sorry but I can only hope this is not the way our draft turns out.

Which players are you referring too and why? Is it a fit issue? Cuz I'm proud of all my scheme fits (besides Scott lol) even for the other teams.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 11:19 AM)Synric Wrote: Which players are you referring too and why? Is it a fit issue? Cuz I'm proud of all my scheme fits (besides Scott lol) even for the other teams.

I don't think Van Ness makes it past Pittsburgh because history shows they really like their edge guys and he fits them to a T. I believe McDonald IV goes in the first along with Zay Flowers. I think Torrence goes in the first as well as a possibility of inside guys such as Avila and I would not be shocked to see a team like the Giants take Tippmann.

As far as our selections I do not see them using a first on a RB. I would be shocked if they even took Bijan if he was there.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 11:35 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I don't think Van Ness makes it past Pittsburgh because history shows they really like their edge guys and he fits them to a T. I believe McDonald IV goes in the first along with Zay Flowers. I think Torrence goes in the first as well as a possibility of inside guys such as Avila and I would not be shocked to see a team like the Giants take Tippmann.

As far as our selections I do not see them using a first on a RB. I would be shocked if they even took Bijan if he was there.

Lukas Van Ness would fit the Steelers strong side end very well but I dont think they would draft a guy at 17 to sit behind TJ Watt. You can argue he will take over after Highsmith leaves but I can see them filling that role a little later maybe Zach Harrison with their second 2nd round pick. Bryan Bresee fits well in Pittsburgh in Cameron Heyward role and he will be 33 next year. But the Steelers have been doing a ton of homework on the OL and specificly tackle (The DT/DE from USC is like the perfect Heyward Clone he could be there pick at 32). They met with Darnell Wright twice now.

O'Cyrus Torrence isn't very scheme versatile and fits a gap scheme but you aren't going to see him go to zone teams. I have John Michael Schmitz as the guy going to the Bills because he fits their inside zone and can play G/C. I can also see Tippmann going to the Bills but I like Schmitz fit better. The Giants could go IOL but they need corner help badly and Deonte Banks fits. 

As for Jahmyr Gibbs he is more than "just a RB" he has a varied skill set and that's what your drafting. He is a motion guy that space player that the Bengals are missing on the first level of the offense, he can run all those screen plays at RB and WR, he can line up and run routes from the slot. He is also a good RB that can attack the inside and the edges of a defense. Jahmyr Gibbs is a top 30 prospect in this draft class. 

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 12:54 PM)Synric Wrote: Lukas Van Ness would fit the Steelers strong side end very well but I dont think they would draft a guy at 17 to sit behind TJ Watt. You can argue he will take over after Highsmith leaves but I can see them filling that role a little later maybe Zach Harrison with their second 2nd round pick. Bryan Bresee fits well in Pittsburgh in Cameron Heyward role and he will be 33 next year. But the Steelers have been doing a ton of homework on the OL and specificly tackle (The DT/DE from USC is like the perfect Heyward Clone he could be there pick at 32). They met with Darnell Wright twice now.

O'Cyrus Torrence isn't very scheme versatile and fits a gap scheme but you aren't going to see him go to zone teams. I have John Michael Schmitz as the guy going to the Bills because he fits their inside zone and can play G/C. I can also see Tippmann going to the Bills but I like Schmitz fit better. The Giants could go IOL but they need corner help badly and Deonte Banks fits. 

As for Jahmyr Gibbs he is more than "just a RB" he has a varied skill set and that's what your drafting. He is a motion guy that space player that the Bengals are missing on the first level of the offense, he can run all those screen plays at RB and WR, he can line up and run routes from the slot. He is also a good RB that can attack the inside and the edges of a defense. Jahmyr Gibbs is a top 30 prospect in this draft class. 

I am not saying Gibbs is or is not a top 30 prospect but I would absolutely much rather have Tyjae Spears in the 2nd or 3rd than Gibbs in the first. I would also not be shocked if when thinks are said and done that Spears turns out to have a more impactful career than Gibbs.

Do you really believe that a LT with the ceiling that Paris Johnson Jr. has is not going in the first round?
Reply/Quote
I believe there are other players that could go in the first round depending on preferences of different teams such as Cam Smith, Cody Mauch, Trenton Simpson, Jalin Hyatt, Kelee Ringo, and Dalton Kincaid to name a few. For that matter with the QB run there could be a team that could gamble on Hendon Hooker in the first round as well. The guy put together some hellacious tape in '22. Oh and what about Kancey? Many believe he is he next Aaron Donald.

I cannot say I have seen many mocks at all that have Gibbs going in the first round.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 03:27 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I am not saying Gibbs is or is not a top 30 prospect but 

absolutely much rather have Tyjae Spears in the 2nd or 3rd than Gibbs in the first. I would also not be shocked if when thinks are said and done that Spears turns out to have a more impactful career than Gibbs.

Do you really believe that a LT with the ceiling that Paris Johnson Jr. has is not going in the first round?

Oops I forgot to put Paris Johnson back in after I did the Jonah trade lol. I was amped about getting Noaln Smith in the Patriots defense. 

I would absolutely take Gibbs at 28 over Spears at 60 all day. I like Spears pretty sure I was the first one to mention him but he is not the prospect Gibbs is.

Edit: Thanks for spotting the Johnson thing I get to redo my first round now! Lol

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 03:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Oops I forgot to put Paris Johnson back in after I did the Jonah trade lol. I was amped about getting Noaln Smith in the Patriots defense. 

I would absolutely take Gibbs at 28 over Spears at 60 all day. I like Spears pretty sure I was the first one to mention him but he is not the prospect Gibbs is.

Edit: Thanks for spotting the Johnson thing I get to redo my first round now! Lol

Gibbs will not be on the field in instances where the back may need to pick up the blitz or pass block. Not sure what you mean first to mention Spears but I have had my eye on him for sometime now. Spears actually was stated to stand out in blitz pickup by the Senior Bowl coaching staff so I would say that Spears is a bit more of a complete back.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2023, 03:37 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I believe there are other players that could go in the first round depending on preferences of different teams such as Cam Smith, Cody Mauch, Trenton Simpson, Jalin Hyatt, and Dalton Kincaid to name a few. For that matter with the QB run there could be a team that could gamble on Hendon Hooker in the first round as well. The guy put together some hellacious tape in '22. Oh and what about Kancey? Many believe he is he next Aaron Donald.

I cannot say I have seen many mocks at all that have Gibbs going in the first round.

Tons of them but only 31 players will go first round and fit is important you dont just go down the list of players and take the next one fans forget that.

Klancey is a prime example. Where does he fit? Has to be a 4-3 team 3 tech only. He isnt going to play 0 1 2i, 4i, 5. You arent going to build your defensive line around him like I did with Mazi Smith to the Saints. His best fit is actually the Bengals at 28 because they run a fair share of even fronts and have established veteran DTs in front of him so he only has to rush the passer. 

Reply/Quote