Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TE is a huge need heading into the offseason
I think we do draft a TE in this year's draft, but it wont be an early pick, probably a 5th rd guy. I could see our TE group next year as:

1) Hayden Hurst- we will re-sign him
2) Luke Schoonmaker(Michigan) - 6'6 250 probably fits our idea of a #2 with better pass catching abilty than Sample
3) Mitchell Wilcox- he fits the #3 mold just fine for our offense.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 05:53 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: I think we do draft a TE in this year's draft, but it wont be an early pick, probably a 5th rd guy. I could see our TE group next year as:

1) Hayden Hurst- we will re-sign him
2) Luke Schoonmaker(Michigan) - 6'6 250 probably fits our idea of a #2 with better pass catching abilty than Sample
3) Mitchell Wilcox- he fits the #3 mold just fine for our offense.

I would be fine with that, I like Schoonmaker, thought he made a lot of plays at Michigan and you have to block in that system.
Reply/Quote
I'd be happy with Hurst coming back if the price is reasonable and Wilcox coming back as well. Hurst will be 30 next year - maybe a 2 year contract for some stability at the position in Hurst. Bringing back Hurst shouldn't break the bank and will allow Bengals to use early/mid rd draft picks on depth for next year (CB,OT) or to strategically draft players in anticipation of upcoming free agents that they won't be able to resign (assuming Boyd, Mixon to start and we'll see on Tee and others). Of course this assumes that Bell and Pratt resign
Reply/Quote
Wilcox and Asiasi will be back. I think Hurst will be back and get a multi-year contract. That leaves no room for anything other than a UDFA TE.
Reply/Quote
If they can't get Hurst back, I think Irv Smith, Jr. would be a great potential target on a Hurst-like deal. He was hammered with injuries the last two seasons but showed a ton of promise in the two years before that. He's insanely athletic and could be a great target for Burrow. Spotrac projects him at $10.2M annual value but I'm not seeing it with his injury history.
Reply/Quote
I'd be shocked if Musgrave went in the 1st Round.  I love the guy's skill set but he played 2 games this season, there is literally no tape on the guy. 

I expect Kincaid to neck and neck with Washington.

Kraft is getting more and more attention. 

UC's Whyle may be a guy.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 03:56 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We have so many free agents hard to guess our needs. Makes your head swim and I’m not ready for it.

We have 1 on offense and 1 on defense that do not have a player ready to step iin, no depth is serious concern in the other spots.  Next offseason will be much more tense.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 07:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We have 1 on offense and 1 on defense that do not have a player ready to step iin, no depth is serious concern in the other spots.  Next offseason will be much more tense.

Talking from a money capital aspect I don’t see a lot of money available to go after an OL like Tunsil or Brown.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 07:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Talking from a money capital aspect I don’t see a lot of money available to go after an OL like Tunsil or Brown.

Nope, draft Wright this year for RT and draft high next year for LT unless Jonah or Carmen steps up.  This is how we afford it moving forward (assuming Jonah isnt too pricey, agian IF he takes the next step).

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 08:02 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Nope, draft Wright this year for RT and draft high next year for LT unless Jonah or Carmen steps up.  This is how we afford it moving forward (assuming Jonah isnt too pricey, agian IF he takes the next step).

I don’t the best option at tackle come time but I’m starting to accept Broderick Jones won’t be there.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 08:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I don’t the best option at tackle come time but I’m starting to accept Broderick Jones won’t be there.

Why would we want Jones over Wright?

Wright is the best RT in college, he is bigger and way more advanced than Jones.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 08:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would we want Jones over Wright?

Wright is the best RT in college, he is bigger and way more advanced than Jones.

I’ve not seen Wright ranked or mocked ahead of Jones. But I’ve not spent an exhaustive time.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 09:36 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve not seen Wright ranked or mocked ahead of Jones. But I’ve not spent an exhaustive time.

It is way early for mocks be 100% correct. Jones is a LT with limited starts. He still needs work but has a ton of ability.  I want a fantastic pass protector right now.

Wright is a big guy that started 4 years, over 2700 snaps allowed only 8 sacks.  He hasn't allowed a sack in his last 19 starts. This is against the best in the SEC.

He is an unanimous ALL-SEC and one of a handful to play over 850 snaps with zero sacks and and an efficiency rating above 99.0.

He is a plug-n-play RT for the next decade.

*We should all agree that protecting Burrow is the #1 goal.
*We should agree that RT is the shakiest spot on the line right now since we don't know if or when LC would return or how well he would perform.
*For those that claim LT is a bigger issue - Jonah is starting LT and Carmen is backing him up.
*We should all agree that tackle is a high priority/high value position that saves us money with the 5th year option.

*Those wanting a TE or RB... these re the absolute worst positions for 5th year value, along with LB that is not an edge.
*Those wanting a CB, it is a value position with high value, and we are not sure of Chido's health either.  That said, I trust Chido more than LC to rehab and heal up faster and protecting Burrow is more important, as the Chiefs showed.

I'll step down from my soap box.

Reply/Quote
I know everyone is on the "don't draft a early round TE" wagon but a guy like Luke Musgrave would be an excellent weapon to help transition from the losses of Higgins and Boyd if they both leave after 2023.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Getting a starter on a rookie contract is always a winner, especially after the first 10 picks. Chris Olave, #11 pick of 2022, is getting paid under $5M/yr. There is always an "another player would have been better" (Sewell v. Chase) argument. Zac Taylor is better at getting his draft picks on the field to see what we've got than Marvin ever was.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 10:06 PM)Synric Wrote: I know everyone is on the "don't draft a early round TE" wagon but a guy like Luke Musgrave would be an excellent weapon to help transition from the losses of Higgins and Boyd if they both leave after 2023.

Musgrave is very intriguing but so little tape.  No way I would consider him in the 1st Round, not sure about he 2nd considering who else is available.  Very comfortable in the 3rd but he is more than likely taken before #90.

I will also add that TE doesnt save us much money on the 5th year option as other higher valued positons would. The absolute best in the game will make 11M this season.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 10:06 PM)Synric Wrote: I know everyone is on the "don't draft a early round TE" wagon but a guy like Luke Musgrave would be an excellent weapon to help transition from the losses of Higgins and Boyd if they both leave after 2023.

I also think it is worth drafting TE if he becomes the instant starter. I think there is more value for this contending team to get a starter than drafting a Dax Hill like talent that isn't going to play as much.

My take, of course, is predicated on FA and Hurst. If Hurst is resigned, then I'd offer the Bengals consider a different position in round 1.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2023, 10:13 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I also think it is worth drafting TE if he becomes the instant starter. I think there is more value for this contending team to get a starter than drafting a Dax Hill like talent that isn't going to play as much.

My take, of course, is predicated on FA and Hurst. If Hurst is resigned, then I'd offer the Bengals consider a different position in round 1.

I don't expect a first round TE unless the guy is BPA and the war room doesn't get a trade offer they like. Even if Hurst signs somewhere else I fully expect the team to sign a veteran to start.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 02:21 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't expect a first round TE unless the guy is BPA and the war room doesn't get a trade offer they like. Even if Hurst signs somewhere else I fully expect the team to sign a veteran to start.

If Hurst is resigned or another FA TE is signed, then I agree that TE isn't a practical use of the first rounder. Unless of course Zac and Callahan decide to go with a TE heavy offense.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 07:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We have 1 on offense and 1 on defense that do not have a player ready to step iin, no depth is serious concern in the other spots.  Next offseason will be much more tense.

Yeah, we are actually in a great spot this FA. Only need to add an OT and maybe some players in the Secondary, maybe a pass rusher.

Tee should be here this year or if we get a great trade option we can make it much less of a blow. Hurst will be back and I think he is 
just getting started in his production here. Hopefully he doesn't get so banged up next season, we will give him some deeper routes and
Joe should have a ton of confidence in him after his first season with us.
Reply/Quote