Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TE is a huge need heading into the offseason
The draft has decent TEs prospects. Perhaps one makes it to the second round pick?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2023, 08:31 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would we want Jones over Wright?

Wright is the best RT in college, he is bigger and way more advanced than Jones.

(02-15-2023, 09:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is way early for mocks be 100% correct. Jones is a LT with limited starts. He still needs work but has a ton of ability.  I want a fantastic pass protector right now.

Wright is a big guy that started 4 years, over 2700 snaps allowed only 8 sacks.  He hasn't allowed a sack in his last 19 starts. This is against the best in the SEC.

He is an unanimous ALL-SEC and one of a handful to play over 850 snaps with zero sacks and and an efficiency rating above 99.0.

He is a plug-n-play RT for the next decade.

*We should all agree that protecting Burrow is the #1 goal.
*We should agree that RT is the shakiest spot on the line right now since we don't know if or when LC would return or how well he would perform.
*For those that claim LT is a bigger issue - Jonah is starting LT and Carmen is backing him up.
*We should all agree that tackle is a high priority/high value position that saves us money with the 5th year option.

*Those wanting a TE or RB... these re the absolute worst positions for 5th year value, along with LB that is not an edge.
*Those wanting a CB, it is a value position with high value, and we are not sure of Chido's health either.  That said, I trust Chido more than LC to rehab and heal up faster and protecting Burrow is more important, as the Chiefs showed.

I'll step down from my soap box.

Uh, yeah. Sign me up for Darnell Wright at 28 or even trading up a few spots for him if we have to. Looks like exactly what we 
need in front of Joe Burrow for the next decade or so. Great pass protecter and likes to maul as well with his size and physicality.

Quick feet for a big man and looks like he keeps his hands inside the pads in this vid.

Also, spot on with Chido, much smaller players should heal up way faster than a monster Tackle from an ACL tear...
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 03:57 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The draft has decent TEs prospects. Perhaps one makes it to the second round pick?

There will be decent TEs throughout the draft, like most years.  It's literally most improbable for "all" of the good ones to go in the 1st round, as if they did, then a ton of great players that should have went in the first round will still be on the board.

Every year it seems that some folks think the 1st round will expand to over 100 picks, and every year many of those "1st round talents" fall to day 2 and 3 of the draft.  I believe the truth is that most folks can't discern a borderline 1st round talent from a 4th round talent; but because of hype, highlight reels and emotional investment into what they perceive are their favorite team's strongest needs they suddenly become master draft prognosticators.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 04:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There will be decent TEs throughout the draft, like most years.  It's literally most improbable for "all" of the good ones to go in the 1st round, as if they did, then a ton of great players that should have went in the first round will still be on the board.

Every year it seems that some folks think the 1st round will expand to over 100 picks, and every year many of those "1st round talents" fall to day 2 and 3 of the draft.  I believe the truth is that most folks can't discern a borderline 1st round talent from a 4th round talent; but because of hype, highlight reels and emotional investment into what they perceive are their favorite team's strongest needs they suddenly become master draft prognosticators.

Wait a minute, so if I run a few mock drafts at PFF I'm not a master draft prognosticator? Hmm
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 04:57 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Wait a minute, so if I run a few mock drafts at PFF I'm not a master draft prognosticator? Hmm

Don't feel so badly, none of us are.  If we were, we would be getting paid handsome 6 figure salaries for our talent evaluating skills that set us apart from the armchair draftniks of the world..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 05:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't feel so badly, none of us are.

Ahem, let's recall the first three rounds last year and our very own 2022 Bengals Board HoF inductee, ochocincos.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 05:14 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Ahem, let's recall the first three rounds last year and our very own 2022 Bengals Board HoF inductee, ochocincos.

Of course, that's why he's in the Bengalsboard HOF, he's that rational outlier that breaks the trends.  Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2023, 04:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There will be decent TEs throughout the draft, like most years.  It's literally most improbable for "all" of the good ones to go in the 1st round, as if they did, then a ton of great players that should have went in the first round will still be on the board.

I think it was last year Daniel Jeremiah said on his podcast move the sticks that there are really only 15 to 20 first round graded prospects in a given draft. Most of the late first round guys are 1st/2nd prospects that move up teams boards due to scheme fits. Make's sense like Daxton Hill last year could have easily fell out of the first round if the Bengals decided to go a different direction.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I feel like we’ve got gaping holes at TE, RB and defensive line

Luckily for us our offense doesn’t really center around our TE or RB but we’ve gotta find an answer at defensive line. And our only real option is the draft. Ossai being so injury prone is just a killer because he was supposed to become our main rotation rusher after Trey and Sam. Thank god we finessed into Jay Tufele because then we’d a had to give Gunther or Carter way more minutes and i just don’t think they would’ve stepped up. We absolutely have to hit on a DT this draft. Kinda have to hit on a RB and a TE too.

These next few years of drafting could honestly be the difference between us finally winning the big one
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 05:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Walter football site agrees and has us taking Mayer @27  (although im sure we all disagree with the 27 spot)

I see steelers grab Mazi Smith  ( who I see as a target for Bengals) and then we go Mayer. Not a bad trade off
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 09:29 PM)Housh Wrote: I feel like we’ve got gaping holes at TE, RB and defensive line

Luckily for us our offense doesn’t really center around our TE or RB but we’ve gotta find an answer at defensive line. And our only real option is the draft. Ossai being so injury prone is just a killer because he was supposed to become our main rotation rusher after Trey and Sam. Thank god we finessed into Jay Tufele because then we’d a had to give Gunther or Carter way more minutes and i just don’t think they would’ve stepped up. We absolutely have to hit on a DT this draft. Kinda have to hit on a RB and a TE too.

These next few years of drafting could honestly be the difference between us finally winning the big one

We spend the 2nd most money in the league on the defensive line.  Where is the gaping hole?  Pass rush up the middle?

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2023, 09:40 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I see steelers grab Mazi Smith  ( who I see as a target for Bengals) and then we go Mayer. Not a bad trade off

If that is the case, sure am happy our interior is the solid part of our OL. Don't like the thought of the stealers getting Mazi Smith.

Love that guy, getting Mayer could honestly be a steal there so I wouldn't hate it if he was the pick. That is a long way to fall from 
where he was projected early on (mid teens). Plus he is a local Bengal fan and could soften the blow of one of our weapons like 
Boyd leaving in another year or two assuming we Tag Boyd after this season.

Still wanting Darnell Wright, this guy looks like a pro ready RT right when we need it with La'el's injury.
Reply/Quote