Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TE position
(12-29-2016, 04:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Both Kroft and Uzo are as athletically gifted as any TE in this year's draft.  I say we keep working on them instead of investinbg another high pick on TE.

We do need to draft another TE, but not until the 4th round or so.  I am afraid Eifert will never be dependable for a full season, but right now we have much bigger needs than another TE high in the draft.

That is what is so nice about this draft. We can get a talented one in the 4th round or so.

Very deep draft for TE's from what everyone is saying.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 04:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is what is so nice about this draft. We can get a talented one in the 4th round or so.

Very deep draft for TE's from what everyone is saying.

Nate, what I think is throwing some people off, is where I led off the OP by asking if everyone thought the Bengals should put a high priority on drafting a TE.  While I certainly hope that the Bengals put a high priority on drafting a TE that fits their system, I did not intend that to necessarily mean a 1st or 2nd round pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 04:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nate, what I think is throwing some people off, is where I led off the OP by asking if everyone thought the Bengals should put a high priority on drafting a TE.  While I certainly hope that the Bengals put a high priority on drafting a TE that fits their system, I did not intend that to necessarily mean a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Yeah Sunset, threw me off for a second myself. Happy i stuck around and listened to your whole spill.

With the depth in this draft at TE it makes all the difference. Don't have to draft one early.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 04:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nate, what I think is throwing some people off, is where I led off the OP by asking if everyone thought the Bengals should put a high priority on drafting a TE.  While I certainly hope that the Bengals put a high priority on drafting a TE that fits their system, I did not intend that to necessarily mean a 1st or 2nd round pick.

I think many were surprised when the Bengals drafted Eifert with Gresham on the roster, Hill with Bernard, Fisher with Ogbuehi, WJIII with Kirkpatrick and Dennard. 

I don't think the Bengals would shy away from drafting a TE if they thought he was the best player available. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 04:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think many were surprised when the Bengals drafted Eifert with Gresham on the roster, Hill with Bernard, Fisher with Ogbuehi, WJIII with Kirkpatrick and Dennard. 

I don't think the Bengals would shy away from drafting a TE if they thought he was the best player available. 

You can count me among the surprised, with a couple of those picks.  I guess when I got to thinking about Eifert's latest injury, and read that he was having surgery, it got me to really thinking about him and the future.  Then, when I get to looking at the depth chart and start thinking about "What if we're forced to roll with those guys?", panic starts to roll in.  I mean, at first glance Uamah has the physical tools to be a modern star, but watching him in action he shows all the passion and enthusiasm of a guy who would rather be chillin' at home.  Kroft?  Sure, he's a decent blocker, but only a mild threat as a receiver.

Despite whatever amount of work they do on Eifert at the body shop, that machine ain't ever going back to showroom condition.  Every injury and recovery takes a toll, they add up.  To me, the perceived need for a TE is real.  It's time to start looking for Eifert's successor, now.  Doesn't need to be a 1st or 2nd round guy, or even have to be a day 1 starter.  The more I think about how the Bengals like to run offensively, the more I like the guy from Toledo.   

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You can count me among the surprised, with a couple of those picks.  I guess when I got to thinking about Eifert's latest injury, and read that he was having surgery, it got me to really thinking about him and the future.  Then, when I get to looking at the depth chart and start thinking about "What if we're forced to roll with those guys?", panic starts to roll in.  I mean, at first glance Uamah has the physical tools to be a modern star, but watching him in action he shows all the passion and enthusiasm of a guy who would rather be chillin' at home.  Kroft?  Sure, he's a decent blocker, but only a mild threat as a receiver.

Despite whatever amount of work they do on Eifert at the body shop, that machine ain't ever going back to showroom condition.  Every injury and recovery takes a toll, they add up.  To me, the perceived need for a TE is real.  It's time to start looking for Eifert's successor, now.  Doesn't need to be a 1st or 2nd round guy, or even have to be a day 1 starter.  The more I think about how the Bengals like to run offensively, the more I like the guy from Toledo.   

I agree which is kinda why I'm worried the best player on the board at #8 might be another CB like Humphrey or Tabor. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:39 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I agree which is kinda why I'm worried the best player on the board at #8 might be another CB like Humphrey or Tabor. 

I can't imagine what this fan base will look like if they take another 1st round CB.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:44 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I can't imagine what this fan base will look like if they take another 1st round CB.

Hard to say.  We were all pretty smug when we took WJIII and the Steelers got stuck with crappy ol' Artie Burns.  The hope and hype trains are always in full-force on draft day.  We could draft a TE and Bengals fans would all cry "favoritism" if the so-called experts didn't give our draft an A+++++.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 05:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Anyone know much about that TE from Arkansas?  Sprinkle is his name?

Strange story on him today.  Was scheduled to play in the Belk bowl but is now suspended for the game for shoplifting at Belk of all places.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 08:01 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Strange story on him today.  Was scheduled to play in the Belk bowl but is now suspended for the game for shoplifting at Belk of all places.

No shit?  How ironic! Hilarious

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 08:01 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Strange story on him today.  Was scheduled to play in the Belk bowl but is now suspended for the game for shoplifting at Belk of all places.

Huh, crazy. Shocked
Reply/Quote

And that was my whole point about grabbing Hikutini. He is supposed to go in the 4th or 5th...if we can get him that late he is a steal. I don't think we should take any TE in the first or second... to many other needs.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 11:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And that was my whole point about grabbing Hikutini. He is supposed to go in the 4th or 5th...if we can get him that late he is a steal. I don't think we should take any TE in the first or second... to many other needs.

Yeah, would like good ole Hiku the more i study up. Thanks for the highlights Sled. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 05:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:   I mean, at first glance Uamah has the physical tools to be a modern star, but watching him in action he shows all the passion and enthusiasm of a guy who would rather be chillin' at home.  Kroft?  Sure, he's a decent blocker, but only a mild threat as a receiver.

1.  Regarding Uzo, there are a lot of guys who play very hard without all the acting out and drama.  I have never sen him let up on a play, I don't care how he acts after the whistle or on the sidelines.

2.  Kroft can be a dangerous receing threat.   I don't trust "pro day" numbers as much as combine numbers, but after not being able to run at the combine Kroft put up numbers at his pro day workout that would have ranked top six among the 18 TEs at the combine in six differet events.

Short Shuttle... 4.20 (1st)
3-cone drill...... 7.12 (2nd)
Long Jump...... 10' (2nd)
Long Shuttle... 11.78 (2nd) (not sure how many even run this anymore)
Forty dash...... 4.67 (3rd)
Vertical.......... 34" (6th)
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 10:08 PM)Derrick Wrote: Actually there are three TEs that could be utilized in various combinations, but these dumbass coaches don't have a clue how to do it. Cry So why get another TE? Unless he is way better than the last two drafted. Geez

I do think our other tight ends are decent and could be used effectively but Eifert has a knack for the endzone and is a beast there. I am not proposing we draft a TE.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote

I was at the Belk Bowl. Good game. Arkansas should fire the offensive coordinator.

Belk gives every player a $450 gift card. Sprinkle somehow ended up with over $700 worth of stuff so they suspended him.

Arkansas offensive line looked solid in pass protection in the first half. They had some good receivers as well, namely Keion Hatcher. Physical receiver who didn't shy away from delivering a hit to the defensive backs. Bucky Hodges from Virginia Tech impressed me too.
Reply/Quote
When healthy, and that's a rarity, I think Eifert-Kroft-Uzomah are a solid trio. Problem is, you can't trust Eifert to be healthy anymore. This draft it has some solid TE's coming out and like SunsetBengal said, I think Jordan Leggett is someone to look at after the 3rd round.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 08:37 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I do think our other tight ends are decent and could be used effectively but Eifert has a knack for the endzone and is a beast there. I am not proposing we draft a TE.

I used to think this before this last Eifert injury. I don't think Eifert will be around long.

He just keeps getting injured over and over again. Sucks, cause he is as talented as any in the league and the best route running TE IMHO.
Reply/Quote
David Njoku from Miami. More of a receiving TE.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2016, 07:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: David Njoku from Miami. More of a receiving TE.

TEs that can't block get about as much favor by the Bengals, as a fart in Church..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote