Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE GAME... what should NOT happen.
It should NOT be declared a "tie," nor a "win" for the Bengals, since they were leading.
I also think is should NOT be declared a "no contest" and started over at some later date.

IF resumed, it should be resumed at the exact point it was postponed. Down, distance, position of field, time on clock... everything can be reset to that point... similar to how delayed baseball games are resumed after weather delay. All that stuff is known, just re-start from there.

Have everyone kneel to honor Hamlin (regardless of ultimately what happens with his condition), let the Bengals take a delay of game penalty before the first snap (which the Bills decline, of course) then play on.

I don't think there's any way to just wipe the game off the schedule. The NFL will go on playing, and there's 30 other teams that will do so, this weekend.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:24 AM)Tomkat Wrote: IF resumed, it should be resumed at the exact point it was postponed.  Down, distance, position of field, time on clock... everything can be reset to that point... similar to how delayed baseball games are resumed after weather delay.  All that stuff is known, just re-start from there.

If the game IS resumed, this is exactly what will happen since last night's game was SUSPENDED.

That said, only way I can see them resume the game is to play tonight and it doesn't look like that's happening. Playing tomorrow leads to a very shortened week even if they move both teams' games to Monday (not to mention if that's even possible with stadiums being used by groups other than sports teams).

What would be nice, but again, will not happen based on the logistics, would be to resume play between the Bengals and Bills this sunday. That being the only game this weekend. Push the schedule back a week and make it up by moving/canceling the Pro Bowl so the Super Bowl will be the only future game to be played on its regularly scheduled date. 

Again, I know that's not going to happen but that is probably the only "fair" way to resolve things considering last night's game affects more than just the Bills and Bengals.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think the main issue with rescheduling this though, is that it's most likely going to be not remotely reflective of what the game would have been. Most likely it'd be less than a preseason game. Unless we get concrete good news on Hamlin before any rescheduled game, the Bills are simply not going to be up for playing. Obviously a good chance a lot of Bengals players won't be in the frame of mind to play either.

I do however, agree with what you've said OP. If it does get rescheduled, start from where we were and I'm certain both teams will do plenty to make it known they're thinking of Hamlin.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:33 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I think the main issue with rescheduling this though, is that it's most likely going to be not remotely reflective of what the game would have been. Most likely it'd be less than a preseason game. Unless we get concrete good news on Hamlin before any rescheduled game, the Bills are simply not going to be up for playing. Obviously a good chance a lot of Bengals players won't be in the frame of mind to play either.

I do however, agree with what you've said OP. If it does get rescheduled, start from where we were and I'm certain both teams will do plenty to make it known they're thinking of Hamlin.

What they could do - if the Bengals are okay with it - is give the Bills the win so they have the #1 seed. Allow them to forfeit their game next week. They then will get 2 weeks to process and get in the right frame of mind to play their opponent in the 2nd week of the playoffs.

I don't see that happening either simply because it affects other teams' playoff implications, but it's an option.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:36 AM)PhilHos Wrote: What they could do - if the Bengals are okay with it - is give the Bills the win so they have the #1 seed. Allow them to forfeit their game next week. They then will get 2 weeks to process and get in the right frame of mind to play their opponent in the 2nd week of the playoffs.

I don't see that happening either simply because it affects other teams' playoff implications, but it's an option.

I get being sad and compassionate, but in no way should the Bengals forfeit the game and give the Bills a W.
Reply/Quote
Why in the hell did the Bills go back to Buffalo... knowing that the game was SUSPENDED and not CANCELLED?
They have accommodations (team hotel, etc) transportation, etc. in Cincinnati.

Luckily Cinci and Buffalo are not far apart - the flight time is less than two hours.
There's no reason Buffalo couldn't fly in early in the morning, then play the same day (4:30 or 8:00 start)
Reply/Quote
I just dont see how they can make up this game. Or finish it with no time left without putting player safety back in the Spotlight for putting them on an extreme short week.

So if both teams agree i think a Tie is the best route.. Unless the Bills concede the contest.

there just isn't any time left to flex this game elsewhere without completely disrupting playoff schedules.

*Refund the tickets to the Game* or allow them to be exchanged for a contest next year
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:24 AM)Tomkat Wrote: It should NOT be declared a "tie," nor a "win" for the Bengals, since they were leading.
I also think is should NOT be declared a "no contest" and started over at some later date.

IF resumed, it should be resumed at the exact point it was postponed.  Down, distance, position of field, time on clock... everything can be reset to that point... similar to how delayed baseball games are resumed after weather delay.  All that stuff is known, just re-start from there.

Have everyone kneel to honor Hamlin (regardless of ultimately what happens with his condition), let the Bengals take a delay of game penalty before the first snap (which the Bills decline, of course) then play on.

I don't think there's any way to just wipe the game off the schedule.  The NFL will go on playing, and there's 30 other teams that will do so, this weekend.

If the Bengals agree to a tie, fine.

If not, the Bills could not continue due to injury. Bengals get a W. Even if it feels weird, that's how any competitve sport is handled, even if the person or team who is too badly injured was winning at the time they had to stop. The term in most sports is "retired". The Bills had to retire due to injury.

I HATE that that happened. I was there. I HATE that Hamlin is the guy hurt. By all accounts, an A+ human. But, the Bills could bot continue. Let alone the Bengals being up and driving in Bills territory. That honestly wouldn't be a factor in other situations/sports.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:36 AM)PhilHos Wrote: What they could do - if the Bengals are okay with it - is give the Bills the win so they have the #1 seed. Allow them to forfeit their game next week. They then will get 2 weeks to process and get in the right frame of mind to play their opponent in the 2nd week of the playoffs.

And you don't think KC will have anything to say about the league just giving the Bills the #1 seeding? I think people do not realize the money involved in these things. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:42 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: So if both teams agree i think a Tie is the best route..

Nope, no way.
If the Bills want to forfeit... fine.
If the NFL declares it a "no contest" (Teams get neither a W or L)... fine

Under NO circumstances should it be DECLARED a Bengals win, or a tie.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:40 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Why in the hell did the Bills go back to Buffalo... knowing that the game was SUSPENDED and not CANCELLED?

Luckily Cinci and Buffalo are not far apart - the flight time is less than two hours.
There's no reason Buffalo couldn't fly in early in the morning, then play the same day (4:30 or 8:00 start)

Well, there potentially is. It depends on the camera crews and whatnot. If they left the equipment up or tore it down, even partially. I’ve done some contracting for ESPN and game day set up takes multiple days. They’d have to go through and find new employees to work the sidelines as well. I would guess if they flew back in, it would be a next day arrangement u less they have left everything up. It just depends.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:40 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Why in the hell did the Bills go back to Buffalo... knowing that the game was SUSPENDED and not CANCELLED?

The visiting team checks out of their hotels before the game. They would have had to rebook close to 125 rooms somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:43 AM)PDub80 Wrote: If the Bengals agree to a tie, fine.

THIS is about the only scenario that I would agree with a "Tie".... IF the Bengals and Bills mutually agree.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:39 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I get being sad and compassionate, but in no way should the Bengals forfeit the game and give the Bills a W.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't want that either. I'm still hopeful they give the Bengals the W since we were leading at the time, though I acknowledge that is not "more fair" than giving the W to the Bills.

They have accommodations (team hotel, etc) transportation, etc.

I wonder if it was logistically easier to take the scheduled flight back than trying to find hotel accommodations for a whole team (including non-player members) so late in the evening. And considering it's a short flight, they probably reasoned, it's better for the Bills players' mental health to go home and be in comfortable surroundings with loved ones and then they can take a return flight back to continue the game if that's what happens.

(01-03-2023, 10:42 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I just dont see how they can make up this game.     Or finish it with no time left without putting player safety back in the Spotlight for putting them on an extreme short week.

So if both teams agree i think a Tie is the best route.. Unless the Bills concede the contest.

there just isn't any time left to flex this game elsewhere without completely disrupting playoff schedules.

*Refund the tickets to the Game* or allow them to be exchanged for a contest next year

My thoughts exactly. This game is not getting finished and I don't see either team conceding nor allowing the other team to concede (in a magnanimous way, not a selfish one) so a tie is the most likely outcome.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And you don't think KC will have anything to say about the league just giving the Bills the #1 seeding?

The actual team may be okay with it given the circumstances (and not wanting to look like dicks). KC sports media and the fans? Outrage, obviously. 

But I also don't see that happening (I think the Bengals would be okay with a tie not giving the Bills the win)
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:24 AM)Tomkat Wrote: It should NOT be declared a "tie," nor a "win" for the Bengals, since they were leading.

IF resumed, it should be resumed at the exact point it was postponed.  Down, distance, position of field, time on clock... everything can be reset to that point... similar to how delayed baseball games are resumed after weather delay.  All that stuff is known, just re-start from there.

I don't think there's any way to just wipe the game off the schedule.  The NFL will go on playing, and there's 30 other teams that will do so, this weekend.

This game will not be resumed. Bills are back in Buffalo.  No Contest is the only solution.  It is not a tie or a win or a loss, the game never happened ending in the 1st quarter. They will not move the play-offs back to play this game.  Bills and Bengals win their divisions, which is good since neither team is up for playing this weekend.  These players will need time to move on from this.  There will be no reschedule, Bills are already back in Buffalo. 

Yes, the NFL can just wipe the game off and give ticket holders their money back. The NFL would not be very Caring if they try to pocket the money, the fans count also, give them their ticket money back.

The main thing is the player in Cincinnati Hospital. Prayers or Good Wishes to him and his Family while he is still in critical condition. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

If the Bills forfeited next week, then KC would have to give up the #1 seed wouldn't they? Unless they flat out lose of course.

I like what another dude said, about us forfeiting but on the provision that we'd host any playoff game between the two of us. That would mean we don't just get handed the AFCN (keeps the Ravens happy). Means KC don't just get handed the #1 seed. Seeding would be mostly unaffected too, as in most likelihood, our game with Buffalo probably just decides who is #2 and #3. I know #1 is in play for us, but I personally think KC will win in Week 18. This scenario would also allow Buffalo to have a crack at #1 as it was still in play for them.

That would keep the playoff picture relatively honest, while being compassionate with both Buffalo/Cincinnati AND the schedule. I think KC would be the team most screwed by the above potentially.

It's tough to resolve in any case. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:48 AM)PhilHos Wrote: The actual team may be okay with it given the circumstances (and not wanting to look like dicks). KC sports media and the fans? Outrage, obviously. 

But I also don't see that happening (I think the Bengals would be okay with a tie not giving the Bills the win)

There is no “fair” answer, but finding the “best” outcome to resolve the game and move on I believe is either a tie, or vacating the game. Yeah, the Bengals don’t get the 2 seed likely, but they also win the division. It’s the least punishable to both teams for a freak accident.

This is unprecedented and we are just likely going to have to live with not everyone is going to be okay with what happens next.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 10:53 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: There is no “fair” answer, but finding the “best” outcome to resolve the game and move on I believe is either a tie, or vacating the game. Yeah, the Bengals don’t get the 2 seed likely, but they also win the division. It’s the least punishable to both teams for a freak accident.

Agreed and I think the NFL goes the "tied" route.
Reply/Quote
I know everyone likes to bash the NFL, but there is no perfectly “fair” solution to this situation. Somebody, likely multiple teams, will be getting the short end of the stick no matter what the final decision is.

Hopefully, fans of all teams, can accept what the Bills/Bengals/NFL and NFLPA come together and agree to.

If we make it up we play on a very short week. If we tie, both teams miss out on a shot at the one seed. If we forfeited to be nice, we have to play for the division win next week after an emotional and whirlwind week. If Bills forfeit we are sticking them with an undeserved loss just because one of their players nearly died. If nfl pushes back the playoffs and we play the bills week 19, everyone else gets a bye week before the playoffs.

The “fairest” solution imo (which will never happen because it would be nearly impossible to do logistically with this many stadiums/teams/fans/crews) would be to have the Bengals and bills play next weekend, and have the entire final week of the nfl season and playoffs all pushed back one week. Then the only thing the bengals/bills lose out on is a bye week before week 18 games when we already have playoff spots locked up. It’ll never happen, but that would be the “ideal scenario” and even it has flaws.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote