Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE Offseason Roster Question to Ask
As the Cincinnati Bengals approach their first full offseason with the new coaching staff still mostly intact, the team is faced with exciting new opportunities in free agency, in the upcoming draft, and there are always the possibility of trades.  It's almost a forgone conclusion the Bengals' first pick in the draft will be Joe Burrow and let's be honest, we -- all of us -- on this board have beat that subject to death. 

What we need to think about are all the other upgrades the Bengals need to make besides quarterback.

With this in mind, I believe those in charge need to think about one question:  Which players on the current roster and which players might we acquire via the draft, trade, or free agency would immediately start on a playoff team like Kansas City or San Francisco? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Given the draft class this year it seems the best path is to use Free Agency to fix the defense and the draft to restock the offense.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 05:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: As the Cincinnati Bengals approach their first full offseason with the new coaching staff still mostly intact, the team is faced with exciting new opportunities in free agency, in the upcoming draft, and there are always the possibility of trades.  It's almost a forgone conclusion the Bengals' first pick in the draft will be Joe Burrow and let's be honest, we -- all of us -- on this board have beat that subject to death. 

What we need to think about are all the other upgrades the Bengals need to make besides quarterback.

With this in mind, I believe those in charge need to think about one question:  Which players on the current roster and which players might we acquire via the draft, trade, or free agency would immediately start on a playoff team like Kansas City or San Francisco? 

Trade Dalton, do not tag Green, let Kirkpatrick and Glenn's salary go. Right there is 45+ million to spend. Bring in Thuney, Whit and Amari Cooper on Offense to ensure that Burrow will have a shot this season. Bring in a LB like Jamie Collins for the Defense. I can dream.

Of our own guys, bring back Dennard, Billings, Mixon and Vigil.

BTW, Geno would start for either of those teams even if he wasn't all that great this last season. Dunlap and Hubbard would be in 
a rotation. Boyd would probably start, Mixon and a healthy Green would definitely start. WJ3 and Bates maybe.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: Given the draft class this year it seems the best path is to use Free Agency to fix the defense and the draft to restock the offense.

So just Jamie Collins and Corey Littleton then...
Reply/Quote
THE offseason roster question to ask is...
"WHAT'S THE PLAN, MIKE?!?!"
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 05:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: As the Cincinnati Bengals approach their first full offseason with the new coaching staff still mostly intact, the team is faced with exciting new opportunities in free agency, in the upcoming draft, and there are always the possibility of trades.  It's almost a forgone conclusion the Bengals' first pick in the draft will be Joe Burrow and let's be honest, we -- all of us -- on this board have beat that subject to death. 

You don't even have to stick with just the top two. How many Bengals would start for the Saints, Seahawks, Ravens, Texans, Vikings ? Not many

Like Nate and others have said trade Dalton. Trade or cut Kirkpatrick and Glenn even Hart if able ? It's not gonna bother me if they move on from Vigil, I feel he's a rotate in backup kinda guy.

But they need to face up to the fact we're not that good and embrace the rebuild. Get a top shelf free agent or two.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Trade Dalton, do not tag Green, let Kirkpatrick and Glenn's salary go. Right there is 45+ million to spend. Bring in Thuney, Whit and Amari Cooper on Offense to ensure that Burrow will have a shot this season. Bring in a LB like Jamie Collins for the Defense. I can dream.

BTW, Geno would start for either of those teams even if he wasn't all that great this last season. Dunlap and Hubbard would be in 
a rotation. Boyd would probably start, Mixon and a healthy Green would definitely start. WJ3 and Bates maybe.

That's a great plan, but we all know that they aren't going to bring in anyone that requires tier 1 or tier 2 money.

Since its the Bengals, I wouldn't let Dre, Green or Glenn go because they won't replace those guys with anyone expect a garbage pile free agent or a low draft pick.  Might as well keep them.
Reply/Quote

Well, let it be known right here and now that the Bengals will ignore opportunities in free agency, Tobin will be in charge of the draft with Mike Brown having to approve each pick (as usual) and the only trade that is likely is the one that will send Andy Dalton to another team for a 3rd round pick.

Yes, there's lots of opportunity there, but sadly, the Bengals are predictable and will predictably do what they usually do, which can generally be boiled down to the least possible effort required to look like they actually did something. Until I see an actual change from the usual, I choose to expect nothing more from them than what I just stated.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: Given the draft class this year it seems the best path is to use Free Agency to fix the defense and the draft to restock the offense.

There are some really good defensive players as well this year, especially in the mid-rounds.  I would much rather them address needs in free agency and draft BPA in the draft which is what we did before we started failing all drafts.  The problem is their current model is failing and they just repeating it hoping that consistency will save them.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So just Jamie Collins and Corey Littleton then...

Jamie Collins and Karl Joseph both of them are Mike Brown type Free Agents and would be great additions to the defense.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I applaud the optimism, but I think everyone knows what kind of free agents the team will sign:

A: Discounted former first rounders with injury or other issues that result in an incentive-laden probe it deal.

B: Middling Tier C and D guys who can be signed to cheap 2-3 year deals.

C: Overpaying the team’s internal free agents.

D: Crying poor with what’s left and saving for draft picks, injuries, or rolling it over...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: THE offseason roster question to ask is...
"WHAT'S THE PLAN, MIKE?!?!"

Mike: Define plan. It depends on the definition of the word plan. I'm sure they're already trip planning their next adventure to Switzerland..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 09:16 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, let it be known right here and now that the Bengals will ignore opportunities in free agency, Tobin will be in charge of the draft with Mike Brown having to approve each pick (as usual) and the only trade that is likely is the one that will send Andy Dalton to another team for a 3rd round pick.

Yes, there's lots of opportunity there, but sadly, the Bengals are predictable and will predictably do what they usually do, which can generally be boiled down to the least possible effort required to look like they actually did something. Until I see an actual change from the usual, I choose to expect nothing more from them than what I just stated.

Oh c'mon.. Everyone knows you've already sent the check to build that big statue of Mikey on Fountain square. Nervous

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So just Jamie Collins and Corey Littleton then...

I don't know that the Bengals need to bring in TWO free agent LBs.  Once Brown was released, it seemed like Germaine Pratt's development curve took a strong upward curve, and Vigil seemed to just relax and make more plays.  I could see bringing in ONE quality free agent LB, as the Bengals are in a base set less than half of the time.  However, which LB to pick is something that must be studied upon, as he must be a guy that is going to be a not only a good athlete, but a good fit with the team, the scheme, and with the Bengals defensive study room.

Personally, I think a player like Danny Trevethon fits exactly what the Bengals need.  He's strong against the run, he can cover, he's good at executing the blitz.  But, his best attribute might be his leadership instincts.  That is something that the Bengals LB corps desperately needs right now, someone to both help Pratt get to the next level in his game, as well as help Vigil maximize his contributions on the field.

Sure, you can go with the hottest stat guys out there, pay them big money, and still not have things work out, because not everyone is a good fit on every team.  Look at Cleveland, they did a great job of putting together a collection of talented players, but they didn't meld into a cohesive team and live up to anyone's expectations of them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I know what history says.

TBS, I have this funny feeling that MB (with some push from Katie and Troy) will surprise all off us by getting what Burrow needs with several tier B FA's

Also I think they hit on a WR, LBer and a S in the draft...

Just a crazy little inkling...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 11:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know that the Bengals need to bring in TWO free agent LBs.  Once Brown was released, it seemed like Germaine Pratt's development curve took a strong upward curve, and Vigil seemed to just relax and make more plays.  I could see bringing in ONE quality free agent LB, as the Bengals are in a base set less than half of the time.  However, which LB to pick is something that must be studied upon, as he must be a guy that is going to be a not only a good athlete, but a good fit with the team, the scheme, and with the Bengals defensive study room.

Personally, I think a player like Danny Trevethon fits exactly what the Bengals need.  He's strong against the run, he can cover, he's good at executing the blitz.  But, his best attribute might be his leadership instincts.  That is something that the Bengals LB corps desperately needs right now, someone to both help Pratt get to the next level in his game, as well as help Vigil maximize his contributions on the field.

Sure, you can go with the hottest stat guys out there, pay them big money, and still not have things work out, because not everyone is a good fit on every team.  Look at Cleveland, they did a great job of putting together a collection of talented players, but they didn't meld into a cohesive team and live up to anyone's expectations of them.

Pratt is young, and Vigil is a middling talent. One of the knocks on Pratt coming out was that he was kind of stiff and lacked coverage skills despite the 40 time. The Bengals need a true 3 down LB who can run and cover. They don’t have one now. Teams will continue to exploit the LB’s until they do. This ain’t rocket science. Fix the LB issue, fix the terrible o- line, improve at DT and S, get another playmaker at WR or TE.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 11:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know that the Bengals need to bring in TWO free agent LBs.  Once Brown was released, it seemed like Germaine Pratt's development curve took a strong upward curve, and Vigil seemed to just relax and make more plays.  I could see bringing in ONE quality free agent LB, as the Bengals are in a base set less than half of the time.  However, which LB to pick is something that must be studied upon, as he must be a guy that is going to be a not only a good athlete, but a good fit with the team, the scheme, and with the Bengals defensive study room.

Trevathan is an interesting option. He has been very solid at this level, and I watched a lot of him at UK. Might be a good pick up.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 11:47 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I know what history says.

TBS, I have this funny feeling that MB (with some push from Katie and Troy) will surprise all off us by getting what Burrow needs with several tier B FA's

Also I think they hit on a WR, LBer and a S in the draft...

Just a crazy little inkling...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I remember that song.."That crazy little thing called inkling" It never really made it to the top 100..

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2020, 06:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Trade Dalton, do not tag Green, let Kirkpatrick and Glenn's salary go. Right there is 45+ million to spend. Bring in Thuney, Whit and Amari Cooper on Offense to ensure that Burrow will have a shot this season. Bring in a LB like Jamie Collins for the Defense. I can dream.

Why bring Whit back now? He's three years older than when we let him go (which was the right decision, they just didn't have the replacement work out) and he just had ankle surgery. He's close to done....
Reply/Quote

I agree with this 100 percent.  

However, this is just the early stage of "Bengal bargaining" setting in as it normally does this time of year.  Fans know we're not going after big, expensive names.  Due to this understanding, we then think of solid, B-grade guys that the team could easily afford.  

This all seems very reasonable, so we wait.  Then the middle stage hits.  This stage is called the Hobspin Line.  This is the moment in the space time continuum where we cross over from fantastical hypotheticals into the reality of Bengal roster-building.  It's referred to by other fanbases as the new league year.  This is when, like clockwork, uncle Hobs comes out and tells us that daddy Mike has fallen on dire times, and that a team like them just can't afford to pay for even semi-respectable UFAs without destroying the very fabric of reality.  We accept, or get pissed or whatever.

Then there's the final "movement".  This is the "stage 4" of Brown family offseasons.  It is one of the primary causes of the metastitization of Bungalization.  A real cornerstone of our fan culture, no doubt. This is where we sign some shitbag like Webb or pay Hart a shit ton of money to be a bad player for the next 3 years.  

My prediction:  No decent linebackers in FA and a 5 year extension for Vigil worth a total of 45 million.  Another commitment to a sub-par scrub-a-dub that we get to watch be not-awesome for the foreseeable future simply because he was drafted by this team and likely has fewer options than better performers.
Reply/Quote