Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THREE Months Until A Vaccine?!
With how much life has changed and how much of a "normal" it has all become, can you believe that a vaccine might be ready for me in 3 months?!

I realize that everyone else will still have to wait, and I'd even have to discuss it with my family if I want to get it so early, but they're saying that front line workers and people at "high risk" will be able to get it.

What are your thoughts about a vaccine? Will we get one? When? Will you get one?
Reply/Quote
We absolutely will have a vaccine at some point. Hopefully December or January. I will likely be given fairly early access to it as a teacher. If I have to go back, I will go back vaccinated.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My wife is a nurse. They've invited her to trials for a vaccine. Which, as someone not a nurse, seems like an insane way to try it out.

"Hey, we're in a pandemic. Who should try out medicine on? Our finite supply of healthcare workers!"

Say What

Anyway, I think we'll have a vaccine... at some point. Three months? Seems a little soon. As someone not in the high risk factor and someone who thinks he's already had it, I doubt I'll try it. But I wouldn't blame people who are at a high risk. To me, just seems like a really short period for clinical trials and long-term problems. I mean, watch any drug commercial and to cure you itchy skin or dry mouth, you end up with heart disease, infertility, exploding toe nails, expanding anus syndrome, hair loss, acne, caustic ear wax, etc.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 11:13 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We absolutely will have a vaccine at some point. Hopefully December or January. I will likely be given fairly early access to it as a teacher. If I have to go back, I will go back vaccinated.

Not necessarily. There are plenty of viral infection we don’t have immunizations for, HIV probably the most notable.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 11:34 PM)Benton Wrote: My wife is a nurse. They've invited her to trials for a vaccine. Which, as someone not a nurse, seems like an insane way to try it out.

"Hey, we're in a pandemic. Who should try out medicine on? Our finite supply of healthcare workers!"

Say What

Anyway, I think we'll have a vaccine... at some point. Three months? Seems a little soon. As someone not in the high risk factor and someone who thinks he's already had it, I doubt I'll try it. But I wouldn't blame people who are at a high risk. To me, just seems like a really short period for clinical trials and long-term problems. I mean, watch any drug commercial and to cure you itchy skin or dry mouth, you end up with heart disease, infertility, exploding toe nails, expanding anus syndrome, hair loss, acne, caustic ear wax, etc.

That sentence alone has me second-guessing getting it lol.

Three months seems soon but that's when they're saying.  

I don't know.....  I might wait until my schools get back and, if they're full go after Christmas and I start getting requests, I'll probably get it because I'm going nuts stuck inside and not presenting (I did just get new equipment, though, and I'm presenting remotely to classes from Saint Ursula in Cincinnati on Wednesday).
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2020, 11:34 PM)Benton Wrote: My wife is a nurse. They've invited her to trials for a vaccine. Which, as someone not a nurse, seems like an insane way to try it out.

Say What

And I'm just the exact opposite:

My whole life folks have said: "Come over here and take this shot" and I rolled up my sleeve or dropped my trousers without question. 

To this day MS bfine brings pills into me at night and says "take these". I open wide

If I show up to work tomorrow and they say "come get this Covid vaccine" I'll be first in line. I just hope I don't drop my trousers when I was supposed to roll up my sleeve. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:04 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: That sentence alone has me second-guessing getting it lol.

Lol, not trying to scare anyone off. It just seems like, on a lot of the drug commercials, the 'possible side effects' are a  million times worse than  what they're curing. In all seriousness, though, if you're in a risk group for a COVID-related illness/death, then the side effects (which probably wouldn't include an expanding anus) are probably worth it. Vaccines are, typically, safe and have few serious side effects; but most of those has been studied over years and sometimes took decades to produce.

(10-06-2020, 01:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: And I'm just the exact opposite:

My whole life folks have said: "Come over here and take this shot" and I rolled up my sleeve or dropped my trousers without question. 

To this day MS bfine brings pills into me at night and says "take these". I open wide

If I show up to work tomorrow and they say "come get this Covid vaccine" I'll be first in line. I just hope I don't drop my trousers when I was supposed to roll up my sleeve. 

Understood and there's nothing wrong with that. I try not to take a lot of medicine. Daily vitamin, diuretic because I eat too much salt and the occasional aspirin. Couple beers before bed. It just seems like a lot of the prescriptions I've had have introduced a new slew of problems. Nothing like getting an antibiotic for a 5-day flu and you feel a little better, but spend the next 6-days having to stay within 20 feet of a toilet at all times.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:34 AM)Benton Wrote: Lol, not trying to scare anyone off. It just seems like, on a lot of the drug commercials, the 'possible side effects' are a  million times worse than  what they're curing. In all seriousness, though, if you're in a risk group for a COVID-related illness/death, then the side effects (which probably wouldn't include an expanding anus) are probably worth it. Vaccines are, typically, safe and have few serious side effects; but most of those has been studied over years and sometimes took decades to produce.

Understood and there's nothing wrong with that. I try not to take a lot of medicine. Daily vitamin, diuretic because I eat too much salt and the occasional aspirin. Couple beers before bed. It just seems like a lot of the prescriptions I've had have introduced a new slew of problems. Nothing like getting an antibiotic for a 5-day flu and you feel a little better, but spend the next 6-days having to stay within 20 feet of a toilet at all times.

Unwanted side effects can and do occur when you receive a treatment that isn’t indicated because some doctors can’t say no.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:01 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Not necessarily. There are plenty of viral infection we don’t have immunizations for, HIV probably the most notable.

True enough, but this virus doesn't behave like HIV and there have been some very positive results from vaccines in the trial stage.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I will absolutely get a vaccine. I'm high risk and I work at a university which has made some piss poor decisions surrounding this. You damn right I want to get vaccinated.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
There must be at least half a dozen or more companies in phase 3. To me it is almost a certainty that a vaccine is very near. Unknown still is the mass production of and logistics of distribution. I'm sure there is a plan. We'll have to see how that unfolds.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 08:15 AM)Goalpost Wrote: There must be at least half a dozen or more companies in phase 3. To me it is almost a certainty that a vaccine is very near. Unknown still is the mass production of and logistics of distribution. I'm sure there is a plan. We'll have to see how that unfolds.

I was watching a scientist explain how this won't be as much of an issue as it normally would. Typically, companies wait to set up production until after trials are completed. However, most of these companies are setting up production as trials are occurring, meaning that once they have the green light from the feds they will have or will be close to having the infrastructure to pump it out. This guy works in the field and does some great explainers on things surrounding COVID.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 08:21 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I was watching a scientist explain how this won't be as much of an issue as it normally would. Typically, companies wait to set up production until after trials are completed. However, most of these companies are setting up production as trials are occurring, meaning that once they have the green light from the feds they will have or will be close to having the infrastructure to pump it out. This guy works in the field and does some great explainers on things surrounding COVID.

And that's good to hear.  My brother used to be a machinist for a pharma company.  He would meet with drug makers, on site, and create pills etc per the right proportion of the drug asked for.  When Gilead's name popped up as one of the companies in this, I questioned him about production.  His response was that the Gilead drug more than likely was being produced in a 'sterile' factory which was a more complicated type set up than just the norm.  His company, which is a fairly big one, wouldn't produce it.  I guess there is some technical and variables to manufacture things.  Overall I've heard the same though.  That these companies have worked ahead of the curve on this  Even if their phase 3 drug fails, they would have sunk money into production regardless, even if there is a loss involved.  
Reply/Quote
I'm not crazy about being among the first to get it, but I certainly will if scientists say it's safe and ready to go.

Probably wont really trust a vaccine released before November 3 though LOL
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 01:01 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Not necessarily. There are plenty of viral infection we don’t have immunizations for, HIV probably the most notable.

(10-06-2020, 07:07 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: True enough, but this virus doesn't behave like HIV and there have been some very positive results from vaccines in the trial stage.

I liken it to a flu shot-like, "vaccine;" the virus won't be rampant forever and may be curbed as much as possible, but it is definitely here to stay and since you CAN get it more than once, I just figure that the vaccine will simply be a flu shot, but for the Coronavirus; beef up your system so that if you do come into contact, it can help fight it better and there will be an updated shot every year, like the flu shot.

Not an issue for me, I'd be glad to take it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
My cousin is married to a crazy woman who says the vaccine will carry a microchip and also contain something so people who get it will go to hell when they die.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 10:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: My cousin is married to a crazy woman who says the vaccine will carry a microchip and also contain something so people who get it will go to hell when they die.

I had no idea that you married your cousin. 

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 12:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I had no idea that you married your cousin. 

Wait, so I'm a crazy woman?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 12:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Wait, so I'm a crazy woman?

Hey, one thing this forum has taught me.

You're whatever you feel you are. 

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2020, 12:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hey, one thing this forum has taught me.

You're whatever you feel you are. 

I'd do me. 
Reply/Quote