Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TJ on John Ross: 'They took his confidence'
(04-20-2020, 09:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Have to agree with this one...even if he simply doesn't stay healthy, he would likely not be retained next year.  All the more reason to get a guy like Mims or Claypool with our second pick.  

I’m a Irish fan I don’t think Claypool is a high second round talent. I’d rather go Mims , Jefferson or Pittman all day long .
Reply/Quote
I’d give Ross another shot this year. He’s pretty much still a rookie.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 02:45 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’d give Ross another shot this year. He’s pretty much still a rookie.

You realize some jokes have a shelf life right? This stopped being funny after the 500th time...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 05:33 PM)Destro Wrote: I didn't put a crown on AJs head. Never excused anything about him. He has been out for 24 games in a row and who has stepped up when the #1 receiver was down? It was there for the taking.

I know, just saying lately AJ has been more injury prone that even Ross or Eifert.

Want to see Ross make the leap to the #1 receiver position in the worst way. Been hard holding his torch man.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 10:18 AM)pally Wrote: Interesting juxtaposition of mindsets.  Ross needs to be told how good he can be.  Burrow needs to be told he is bad 

Joe, you suck man. Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 09:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: In 8 games he produced mover 500 yards receiving and 3 TDs.  Project that to a 16 game season and you have over 1000 yards and 6 TDs, which is almost exactly what our "#1 WR (that has more experience and plays a more highly targeted slot position) had, Tyler Boyd.  

Projected is not reality and point is he never did it because he didn't make it through the season..again.  And let's project 18 drops per year, while you're at it. As said by someone else, potential means you haven't done sh!t.   Eight games or less, each year, is not a worthy 9th overall pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 01:57 PM)McC Wrote: Wonder if there will ever come a day when the identical arguments on this made back and forth over and over again will be sufficiently repeated.  The answer seems to be no.  

I'm willing to bet there will be another Ross thread within the next thirty days and that no matter what the intent of the thread is, it will end the same as the forty thousand other Ross threads that came before it.

There is a pathological need to rehash this around here and never come to a conclusion.  Bizarre.

The draft cannot get here soon enough.

I think the reason the whole Ross thing keeps coming up is because every time something changes we can debate on whether or not this is the change that needed to be made to finally get the most out of Ross.

Brandon LaFell is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get his chance to play!
Zampese is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get an OC who knows how to use him!
Lazor is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get an OC who knows how to use him!
Marvin is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get a HC who knows how to run and offense and use him and doesn't hate him and refuse to play him!
Dalton is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get a real QB who can throw the ball to him!

and so on.  Though I truly believe if Burrow stops throwing the ball to Ross people will finally give up on the guy.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 07:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the reason the whole Ross thing keeps coming up is because every time something changes we can debate on whether or not this is the change that needed to be made to finally get the most out of Ross.

Brandon LaFell is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get his chance to play!
Zampese is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get an OC who knows how to use him!
Lazor is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get an OC who knows how to use him!
Marvin is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get a HC who knows how to run and offense and use him and doesn't hate him and refuse to play him!
Dalton is gone?  Great, now Ross can finally get a real QB who can throw the ball to him!

and so on.  Though I truly believe if Burrow stops throwing the ball to Ross people will finally give up on the guy.

So, to paraphrase--never.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 07:45 PM)McC Wrote: So, to paraphrase--never.

I guess not, because you can't prove a negative.  We can't PROVE that Ross is never going to be a good WR until he retires from the NFL.  We can point to his bust-tastic numbers from his first 3 years, but we can't prove that he's not going to go off the charts this year and we have a laundry list of people to blame for him being a bust so far.

But I truly do believe if Joe Burrow looks annoyed or disappointed in Ross or doesn't trust the guy then we are going to finally be done with him.  Ross is running out of excuses, so I do see a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel on this one.

Or Ross could score 19 TDs this year and make us all eat all that crow he supposed had us eating in week 1 last year. My biggest knock against Ross is that almost his entire NFL career has been nothing but garbage time and he's not piling up the stats. It's a double-whammy.
Reply/Quote
At any rate, can someone hang this up in Ross' locker?

[Image: 49fcfd5f38874b83d944d4ccc156e772.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2020, 01:30 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Even if Burrow makes him look like Tyreek Hill next season. After that it's time to move on. He's not all pro talent though a good QB may make him appear to be.

This is one of the dumbest things I ever heard. Andy was horrible at ball placement.  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 10:07 PM)Tony Wrote: This is one of the dumbest things I ever heard. Andy was horrible at ball placement.  

I mean, why? Why do some hate if John Ross succeeds and becomes a Tyreek Hill type of player?
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 10:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mean, why? Why do some hate if John Ross succeeds and becomes a Tyreek Hill type of player?

Because then the 800 posts they’ve made about how he’s the biggest bust of all time won’t look as good... Ninja

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 02:42 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’m a Irish fan I don’t think Claypool is a high second round talent.  I’d rather go Mims , Jefferson or Pittman all day long .

I started a thread on Claypool in this section and believe he is incredibly underrated.  He is a PERFECT fit for the Bengals.  He can line up inside or outside, has a massive catch radius with very sure hands, and is an excellent blocker in the run game.  If Mims is there, I bet the Bengals take him.  I like Pittman, but Jefferson is a slot WR and we already have Boyd.  I would feel a lot better with Claypool playing outside then Jefferson. 

ND had Kmet to pair with Claypool but that LSU offense had loads of talent around Jefferson.  I don't dislike the guy or anything, but I would rather have Mims or Claypool.  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 06:18 PM)Destro Wrote: Projected is not reality and point is he never did it because he didn't make it through the season..again.  And let's project 18 drops per year, while you're at it. As said by someone else, potential means you haven't done sh!t.   Eight games or less, each year, is not a worthy 9th overall pick.

Hard to argue with that, but I am not giving up on him.  I will hope he really breaks out like last year but stays healthy for 16 games and helps the offense open up underneath.  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2020, 10:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I mean, why? Why do some hate if John Ross succeeds and becomes a Tyreek Hill type of player?

My issue with the Ross hopefuls is how quickly they declare victory (see week 1 last year) and how many excuses they make for his lack of success. 

I want the guy to be awesome, but it's annoying hearing how the planets seemingly have to align for a 9th overall pick to succeed.  Oh and anyone who says hes a disappointment hates him and is rooting against him and scared he's going to be good. 

Why are we allowed to say Ced and Price and other disappointing players are disappointing without being called haters?  Just seems odd. 
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 10:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: My issue with the Ross hopefuls is how quickly they declare victory (see week 1 last year) and how many excuses they make for his lack of success. 

I want the guy to be awesome, but it's annoying hearing how the planets seemingly have to align for a 9th overall pick to succeed.  Oh and anyone who says hes a disappointment hates him and is rooting against him and scared he's going to be good. 

Why are we allowed to say Ced and Price and other disappointing players are disappointing without being called haters?  Just seems odd. 

Every single fan of this team should be a “Ross hopeful”

To answer your last question, I personally feel comfortable calling Ced and Price busts because neither one have ever shown a single flash of being decent NFL players. Ross has. 10 TD in 24 games (and lets be honest Dalton cost him a couple more) is something to look at and see a glimmer of hope there.

I can absolutely see Ross putting it all together (especially if he stays healthy) and becoming a legitimate starter. Would I bet on it? No, but i wouldn’t be shocked if he does. I would however be shocked if Ced O or Billy Price are ever starters in this league.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 11:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Every single fan of this team should be a “Ross hopeful”

To answer your last question, I personally feel comfortable calling Ced and Price busts because neither one have ever shown a single flash of being decent NFL players. Ross has. 10 TD in 24 games (and lets be honest Dalton cost him a couple more) is something to look at and see a glimmer of hope there.

I can absolutely see Ross putting it all together (especially if he stays healthy) and becoming a legitimate starter. Would I bet on it? No, but i wouldn’t be shocked if he does. I would however be shocked if Ced O or Billy Price are ever starters in this league.

TO had 9 TDs in 14 games so ehh on that. 

Like I said Ross is out of excuses. The second Burrow looks annoyed with him the tide turns, so he's getting his chance finally....i guess. 
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 11:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: TO had 9 TDs in 14 games so ehh on that. 

Like I said Ross is out of excuses. The second Burrow looks annoyed with him the tide turns, so he's getting his chance finally....i guess. 

Seriously? TO is a top 3 WR of all time...

How dare John Ross not be TO!

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2020, 10:44 AM)Nately120 Wrote: My issue with the Ross hopefuls is how quickly they declare victory (see week 1 last year) and how many excuses they make for his lack of success. 

Totally agree,

I'm at the end of my rope with Ross and I'd say the coaches/team are too. Ross has to set his purse down and start getting it done and be damn quick about doing it. There's no more room for excuses. And to be quite honest I'm not beaming with confidence he can ? I hope he proves me wrong !
Reply/Quote