Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TRENCHES
Well so far nothing with both sides of the ball in FA and Ravens just added Henry and KC resigned Jones.. two of our main rivals in AFC, I thought we would at least add a DT in FA or possible OT.. hope we add one soon and draft both sides of the line early...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Are there specific players that you are looking at?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Are there specific players that you are looking at?

They absolutely have to sign a RT. Can’t rely on the draft as Jonah’s replacement. I know it’s a strong OT draft, but what’s to say that there isn’t a run on OT’s and we are left with a bare cupboard at 18? I guess right now it’s either re-signing Jonah or Mekhi Becton.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Are there specific players that you are looking at?

Well some are gone but who is left i would want would be

DT- Sheldon Rankins and Joseph Day

OT- Cameron Fleming (could be a gap year RT)
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:27 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: They absolutely have to sign a RT. Can’t rely on the draft as Jonah’s replacement. I know it’s a strong OT draft, but what’s to say that there isn’t a run on OT’s and we are left with a bare cupboard at 18? I guess right now it’s either re-signing Jonah or Mekhi Becton.

There are still a few options out there.

The RT options at this point though are basically re-sign Jonah Williams or get a 30+ year old stopgap in George Fant (familiarity with Pollack) or Trent Brown.

For DT, they could maybe sign Rankins on a 1-year or 2-year deal.
Teair Tart or Sebastian Joseph-Day will probably come cheap and would be an ok NT.
You also have guys like Derrick Nnadi or Tim Settle who may just need a change of scenery to do better than they had in their original teams that drafted them.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:27 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: They absolutely have to sign a RT. Can’t rely on the draft as Jonah’s replacement. I know it’s a strong OT draft, but what’s to say that there isn’t a run on OT’s and we are left with a bare cupboard at 18? I guess right now it’s either re-signing Jonah or Mekhi Becton.
Trent Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are still a few options out there.

The RT options at this point though are basically re-sign Jonah Williams or get a 30+ year old stopgap in George Fant (familiarity with Pollack) or Trent Brown.

Teair Tart or Sebastian Joseph-Day will probably come cheap and would be an ok NT.
You also have guys like Derrick Nnadi or Tim Settle
who may just need a change of scenery to do better than they had in their original teams that drafted them.

The problem is that none of those guys are the classic NT type that we need for facing these run heavy AFCN offenses.  If we don't sign DJ Reader back, the one I would trust to hold his own the best from that group would be Sheldon Rankins.

If I were the Bengals, I would be planning on signing Tupou just to have a NT on the team, doing some hard negotiation with DJ Reader's agent and medical team, and plan on making a move in the draft to land T'Vondre Sweat.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well so far nothing with both sides of the ball in FA and Ravens just added Henry and KC resigned Jones.. two of our main rivals in AFC, I thought we would at least add a DT in FA or possible OT.. hope we add one soon and draft both sides of the line early...

Agree 100%. I like our signings but I’m not gonna be happy if we rely on the draft for the “trenches”
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There are still a few options out there.

You also have guys like Derrick Nnadi or Tim Settle who may just need a change of scenery to do better than they had in their original teams that drafted them.

Gimme anyone of those guys except day. He’s not good
Reply/Quote
Trade Tee for a defensive tackle and sign Ridley.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 04:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem is that none of those guys are the classic NT type that we need for facing these run heavy AFCN offenses.  If we don't sign DJ Reader back, the one I would trust to hold his own the best from that group would be Sheldon Rankins.

If I were the Bengals, I would be planning on signing Tupou just to have a NT on the team, doing some hard negotiation with DJ Reader's agent and medical team, and plan on making a move in the draft to land T'Vondre Sweat.

I agree.  Even if they do re-sign Reader, they are going to need at least 1 other big NT like Sweat because Reader will need to be rotated and you will want someone else like Sweat on the team.  A 3rd guy like Tupou or someone like him in the rotation could be helpful against run heavy teams.  And they still need a pass rushing DT.  Stopping the run is good but we also need to be able to generate a better pass rush from the interior defensive line.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 04:48 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I agree.  Even if they do re-sign Reader, they are going to need at least 1 other big NT like Sweat because Reader will need to be rotated and you will want someone else like Sweat on the team.  A 3rd guy like Tupou or someone like him in the rotation could be helpful against run heavy teams.  And they still need a pass rushing DT.  Stopping the run is good but we also need to be able to generate a better pass rush from the interior defensive line.

Here's the thing.  If teams know that they can run the ball on you, you'll never need to rush the passer, because they'll just keep running it up your gut.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
DT Tillery from Raiders is getting cut - PFF 40th ranked DT.

Arik Armstead will b available i think. No telling who else might get cut for cap reasons. probably why signings have slowed.

Reader.

Sheldon Rankins.
Reply/Quote
Feels like we're dancing around the edges until we sign a RT, DT, and CB, although it's nice to see a non-empty TE room.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well so far nothing with both sides of the ball in FA and Ravens just added Henry and KC resigned Jones.. two of our main rivals in AFC, I thought we would at least add a DT in FA or possible OT.. hope we add one soon and draft both sides of the line early...

Completely agree, need to add to the trenches now. RT and DT please. There are still lots of options out there, Rankins is my leading 
candidate at DT now along with bringing Reader back. Trent Brown is older, but he would be a good bridge RT for a draft pick so we 
don't have to throw a rookie immediately into the fire.
Reply/Quote
I guess we were in on Malcolm Roach DT but he signed elsewhere 2 years and 8 million.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 05:19 PM)pulses Wrote: I guess we were in on Malcolm Roach DT but he signed elsewhere   2 years and 8 million.

Just saw we were also interested in A'Shawn Robinson who just got extended by somebody else. We are looking that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 05:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just saw we were also interested in A'Shawn Robinson who just got extended by somebody else. We are looking that is for sure.

yeah he got 3 yrs and 22.5
Reply/Quote

Becton is literally always hurt. Always.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 05:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just saw we were also interested in A'Shawn Robinson who just got extended by somebody else. We are looking that is for sure.

Window shopping means nothing if you don't buy
Reply/Quote