Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
TRENCHES
(03-13-2024, 12:56 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You think Vonn would of stuck with his decision even if he knew the Panthers would suck that bad and would cut him after?

At least we were a competitive team and he probably would of helped us win at least 1 or 2 games and made the playoffs if he stuck around.

Don't get me wrong, I love having Battle, but Dax was out of his realm and Vonn could of helped him more with his experience.

Most guys take money over winning, until they're pretty late in their career.

I think it's possible we could play 3 safeties at times.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:07 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So true, the people condemning this FA before it even starts are such fools. I will say if I am unhappy when it actually ends.

We get a good vet RT and DT or two in FA when it is all said and done and this is a good Free Agency as long as the players stay healthy 
and play well. We see this every year with teams overpaying for the top FA's who end up doing nothing for their teams. Just happens like
clockwork.

Not sure of the logic we have agreements with unrestricted players the past two days, so Free agency in real sense has started..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 02:23 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not sure of the logic we have agreements with unrestricted players the past two days, so Free agency in real sense has started..

It doesn't officially start until 4 eastern time. A lot of these so called signings could fall through after workouts and such.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:56 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You think Vonn would of stuck with his decision even if he knew the Panthers would suck that bad and would cut him after?

At least we were a competitive team and he probably would of helped us win at least 1 or 2 games and made the playoffs if he stuck around.

Don't get me wrong, I love having Battle, but Dax was out of his realm and Vonn could of helped him more with his experience.

Bell was going to a team that needed a makeover, had the first overall pick. He wound up signing a 3 year deal. Sound familiar? 

I put the loss of Bell squarely on the FO. I have no problem with a player chasing the money. For every player that says they took less money to join a team, there 100s more that will jump all over the money. They knew they were going to lose Bates, and Lou made it known that he did not want to lose both safeties. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:32 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Bell was going to a team that needed a makeover, had the first overall pick. He wound up signing a 3 year deal. Sound familiar? 

I put the loss of Bell squarely on the FO. I have no problem with a player chasing the money. For every player that says they took less money to join a team, there 100s more that will jump all over the money. They knew they were going to lose Bates, and Lou made it known that he did not want to lose both safeties. 

I'm sure they'd like to keep everyone, but there's a salary cap. Look at what the Chargers are going through.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:44 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm sure they'd like to keep everyone, but there's a salary cap. Look at what the Chargers are going through.

The Bengals will never be in salary cap hell, like other teams. We'll also never see them go "all in" because Duke doesn't want to risk future assets. It's a process I understand, but it can lead to frustrations when you feel like your team is close.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 02:23 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The Bengals will never be in salary cap hell, like other teams. We'll also never see them go "all in" because Duke doesn't want to risk future assets. It's a process I understand, but it can lead to frustrations when you feel like your team is close.

Other side of coin is when you are close but have to dismantle team because of cap hell. There is no right formula, teams have went all in and not won SB and then had to dismantle, teams have keep a balance philosophy and have not won SB.
Reply/Quote
Know this is a repetitive response, but just think it is much easier to replace a #2 WR than fill voids in the trenches adequately on the cheap.

Albeit that ship has sailed now I believe per there would probably not be any worthy trench players to spend the extra $21 million saved on at this point without some shocking camp cuts.

Bengals will have to hit in the draft now and as many have pointed out draft picks are a gamble. Still keeping the faith though and do like what the Bengals have done with very little money spent so far.

Will be showing their hand going into draft with NT and RT needed and expect trade ups in front of their picks if any other teams covet these spots as well as we have seen before when are needs are obvious. This will be the first time Zac has let himself get into this position if nothing more happens.

Yet crossing fingers and toes they mine the right players out of draft ready to step right in a go.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 12:32 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Bell was going to a team that needed a makeover, had the first overall pick. He wound up signing a 3 year deal. Sound familiar? 

Or maybe they saw bells skills diminishing..: and realized he wasn’t worth what he signed for (to the bengals).
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 09:06 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Or maybe they saw bells skills diminishing..:  and realized he wasn’t worth what he signed for (to the bengals).

They saw his age. The Bengals rarely adjust their deal for a player. They offered a two year deal, Carolina offered three, and the Bengals weren't budging. Duke and the FO are still scarred from giving Geno and Dunlap third deals, so they're reluctant to give long term deals to players entering 30 or older.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 02:23 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The Bengals will never be in salary cap hell, like other teams. We'll also never see them go "all in" because Duke doesn't want to risk future assets. It's a process I understand, but it can lead to frustrations when you feel like your team is close.

(03-16-2024, 04:59 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Other side of coin is when you are close but have to dismantle team because of cap hell. There is no right formula, teams have went all in and not won SB and then had to dismantle, teams have keep a balance philosophy and have not won SB.

The Bengals do a pretty good job managing the salary cap number in the top 5 in the league. But they were recently criticized how they missed an opportunity to restructure Orlando Brown’s contract and generate a couple million in cap savings. So they aren’t like the Raven’s or Chiefs in manipulating it. But let’s face it they’d better start nailing the draft. They are very average there.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote