Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut
(09-11-2020, 08:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: A few years ago a player was penalized and fined for praying to Mecca in the end zone.  

I missed that.
Reply/Quote
This thread is pretty much a synapses of the forum.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 09:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This thread is pretty much a synapses of the forum.

Might it be that folks kinda get tired of people threatening to stop doing something they enjoy? Kinda like the guy who threw the big fit, called us all communists, and demanded his account be deleted because the "black national anthem" was gonna be played before a game... If people wanna leave or stop watching... Cool. But don't expect any of us to try to stop them or even take it seriously.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 09:42 PM)jason Wrote: Might it be that folks kinda get tired of people threatening to stop doing something they enjoy? Kinda like the guy who threw the big fit, called us all communists, and demanded his account be deleted because the "black national anthem" was gonna be played before a game... If people wanna leave or stop watching... Cool. But don't expect any of us to try to stop them or even take it seriously.

I missed where the OP "threatened to stop watching". I just saw him post facts that viewership was down and provided his opinion as to why. Then I saw a lot of children engage in a circle jerk.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I missed where the OP "threatened to stop watching". I just saw him post facts that viewership was down and provided his opinion as to why. Then I saw a lot of children engage in a circle jerk.

The original post has multiple things that are not fact, but opinion such as:

- The NFL is losing viewers due to politicizing football
- The NFL won't allow God in the stadiums
- The NFL should include multiple issues the OP suggests or simply present no social messages
- The NFL is acting in a hypocritical manner

The only fact presented is that the number of viewers of the opening game of the season is down 13% from last year (or down 11% when factoring in online viewership, as the article states).

Also, the NFL did promote a pro-life agenda in 1992

And then there was this in 2010:

And former Patriots TE, Benjamin Watson, is a noted pro-life advocate and is working on a documentary regarding abortion.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/pro-life-new-england-patriots-player-benjamin-watson-to-release-abortion-documentary/

More NFL players promoting the pro-life message
https://studentsforlife.org/2017/09/07/its-a-pro-life-kickoff-weekend/?fbclid=IwAR1SdOULpByq4_cQQ-73dY-JuOWUZWnVT87Ok6lV89gjKaH9KlC9eWCFxwQ

https://bccatholic.ca/voices/pat-macken/pro-athletes-who-don-t-fear-pro-life-label

https://marchforlife.org/nfl-and-mfl/

Just google NFL and pro-life and more than zero things appear.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 09:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I missed where the OP "threatened to stop watching". I just saw him post facts that viewership was down and provided his opinion as to why. Then I saw a lot of children engage in a circle jerk.

Children... Ok.

Personally I find it childish to get butt hurt about people speaking out on an issue that directly affects them. Nately just posted a link to where subjects like that will go over great. I mean the OP literally suggested issues that would be acceptable to him if they were being put front and center like this one is. If a majority of NFL started calling attention to abortion, I'd totally get it. I don't like abortion, and I don't think anyone truly does... I personally find it heinous, but I know how people are too. It's not a black and white issue. NFL players are calling attention to people dying. That should resonate with pro life folks, and other Christians besides myself... And I'm sure it does.

But don't act like there isn't a tone of "See... I told you so." In the OP.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 09:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This thread is pretty much a synapses of the forum.

Come on, you have to be objective enough to see how weak the talking points presented in this thread are.  You can treat us like a brainless mob of liberal bullies, but I happen to think the right-wing arguments have gotten pretty weak now that so much of the conservative agenda is coming down from Trump.

I've been presented with conservative ideas that have made me think, frustrated me, and/or changed my mind.  I haven't been seeing them lately, but maybe I'm just refusing to see them...I can't rule that out, either.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:25 PM)jason Wrote: Children... Ok.

Personally I find it childish to get butt hurt about people speaking out on an issue that directly affects them. Nately just posted a link to where subjects like that will go over great. I mean the OP literally suggested issues that would be acceptable to him if they were being put front and center like this one is. If a majority of NFL started calling attention to abortion, I'd totally get it. I don't like abortion, and I don't think anyone truly does... I personally find it heinous, but I know how people are too. It's not a black and white issue. NFL players are calling attention to people dying. That should resonate with pro life folks, and other Christians besides myself... And I'm sure it does.

But don't act like there isn't a tone of "See... I told you so." In the OP.

There's absolutely nothing more childish than using the phrase butt hurt.

The OP posted a link that showed viewership was down and then posted his thoughts as to why.

Feel free to go back and reread the responses and give me your thoughts on them

Does childish come to mind? 

Reply/Quote
Frankly I though "mean girls" was the new "group think" and "mob mentality".

Wasn't not expecting a euphemism like over people not taking an OP filled with opinion and one fact too seriously.

But, here we are. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
In other news anyone see how EA added Kaepernik to Madden 21? But not only did they add, but gave him a higher rating than when he last played 4 years ago, and a higher rating than some starting QBs.

This is the world we live in.

(Doesnt bother me though, it's another crap Madden yet again, which is nothing new for anyone that pays attention to the video game world and EA)
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: Frankly I though "mean girls" was the new "group think" and "mob mentality".

Wasn't not expecting a euphemism like over people not taking an OP filled with opinion and one fact too seriously.

But, here we are. Mellow

Well, the OP could have said if players are putting Black Lives Matter on their helmets why can't they put Choose Life or God is Love or something like that on there if they want.  But the problem is that he presented an easily refuted argument that the NFL doesn't let god in the stadium or doesn't promote pro-life initiatives.

Can players put that stuff on their helmet?  I don't know.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's absolutely nothing more childish than using the phrase butt hurt.

The OP posted a link that showed viewership was down and then posted his thoughts as to why.

I apologise for my choice of words... But clearly it's been awhile since you've been around a child. They don't really say butthurt. They whine about things they can't control, don't cover their coughs or sneezes, think they know everything, and make mountains outta molehills.

I don't find the responses childish either. I find some of them humorous. Others are morbid. There are some factual responses. There are a couple of them that are condescending. Maybe I feel that way because I couldn't care less about ratings, and who is watching what as opposed to last year.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 11:05 PM)Millhouse Wrote: In other news anyone see how EA added Kaepernik to Madden 21? But not only did they add, but gave him a higher rating than when he last played 4 years ago, and a higher rating than some starting QBs.

(Doesnt bother me though, it's another crap Madden yet again, which is nothing new for anyone that pays attention to the video game world and EA)

I read about that... It's like Bfine posted in another thread... Trying to save face. Having said that. I was never one of the ones that thought Kaep was washed up or exposed at the end. The team was dismantled around him.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 11:05 PM)Millhouse Wrote: In other news anyone see how EA added Kaepernik to Madden 21? But not only did they add, but gave him a higher rating than when he last played 4 years ago, and a higher rating than some starting QBs.

Ryan Shazier had an overall rating of 84 in Madden 20 and he's partially paralyzed.  I wouldn't take this stuff too seriously.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:59 PM)GMDino Wrote: Frankly I though "mean girls" was the new "group think" and "mob mentality".

But, here we are. Mellow

Seems like only yesterday you were whining to moderation about how folks weren't taking your daily thread about how Trump is the Devil seriously. 

As far as I know, the OP is new to the forum and the majority of the responses substantiate everything you put in parentheses. Most likely why he'll be smart enough not to stick around. But he'll most likely continue to support the board generously.   

But there you are, 

Reply/Quote

Nah, "mean girls" is an obvious clique on this forum that attempt to impose their views through group ridicule.  I would have thought you'd know this.  Smirk

Can I sit at this table?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: There's absolutely nothing more childish than using the phrase butt hurt.

Using the phrase butt hurt is more childish than calling others children engaged in a circle jerk?

I’ve come to expect that sort of piss poor judgment from a guy who doesn’t know his synapses from a synopsis.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 11:47 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nah, "mean girls" is an obvious clique on this forum that attempt to impose their views through group ridicule.  I would have thought you'd know this.  Smirk

Can I sit at this table?

Sorry, we should have been more willing to admit that god isn't allowed in the NFL and the NFL has never made pro-life statements.  I mean, neither of those are true, but it was still wrong of us to point that out.  Remember, if people tell you that you are wrong they're just being mean, it isn't because you need to reevaluate or strengthen your arguments.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 12:06 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Sorry, we should have been more willing to admit that god isn't allowed in the NFL and the NFL has never made pro-life statements.  I mean, neither of those are true, but it was still wrong of us to point that out.  Remember, if people tell you that you are wrong they're just being mean, it isn't because you need to reevaluate or strengthen your arguments.

I'm not really sure what any of this has to do with my post, because it doesn't.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2020, 12:08 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm not really sure what any of this has to do with my post, because it doesn't.

I'm under the impression that there is this notion that this forum is ruled by a mob of liberal bullies who gang up on and berate conservative posters.  
Reply/Quote