Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tackling Issues. Coaching Problem?
We would require actual coaches to have coaches teach fundamentals. Right now we just have a "some guys staff" not a coaching staff. And Mikey actually fire people ? We've seen this exactly once in the past decade as far as I recall. 
You want job security with a job you're uniquely unqualified to do? Get Mike Brown to hire you ..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals missed 18 tackles against the Chiefs, most ever recorded by PFF. Vontaze Burfict missed four by himself. In his three games this season, he has 7 missed tackles, the same amount he had in the entire 2012 & 2015 season.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/10/22/cincinnati-bengals-marvin-lewis-record-depth-chart/1732502002/?from=new-cookie
Reply/Quote
I tried listening to the press conference the other day and had to turn it off. I almost lost it. If I hear Marvin Lewis say "We have to do a better job" one more time, I'm pounding a bottle of Draino.

"We have to do better." No shit. Maybe actually do that for a change.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 10:56 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I tried listening to the press conference the other day and had to turn it off.  I almost lost it.  If I hear Marvin Lewis say "We have to do a better job" one more time, I'm pounding a bottle of Draino.

"We have to do better."  No shit.  Maybe actually do that for a change.

Q. In his decade and a half + how many times have you heard Merv say we (the coaches/himself) screwed up ? It wasn't a good game plan ? I should have done this ? I didn't have them prepared ?

A. Very, very, few
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 08:02 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I think it's also general laziness too. You see way too much arm tackling, way too high in tackling (it's lead to penalties too). Backs nowadays, like Hunt, are way too big to try and arm tackle (Kirkpatrick learned his lesson). You don't really see any follow through. Tackling is one of the fundamentals of the game of Football, and we can't do that right. It's lead to a lot of issues, yards after contact and extended plays on defense. I think it would help, might even stop the bleeding, but there is SIGNIFICANT issues on that defense.

Correct! You don't see defenders tackling through the ball carrier anymore. 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 06:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: On the Mo Egger show yesterday, this was an obvious topic they were talking about. Tony Pike on there mentioned that the Bengals don't tackle at all in practice. I know they do some tackling in training camp, but after start of season apparently they don't?

If true it goes back to that old saying, you play like how you practice. Hard to be good tacklers if you dont practice tackling.

This is pretty much true down to lower level football anymore. My youngest son plays HS ball and they just wrap up the ball carrier without taking him to the ground. 
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 10:56 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I tried listening to the press conference the other day and had to turn it off.  I almost lost it.  If I hear Marvin Lewis say "We have to do a better job" one more time, I'm pounding a bottle of Draino.

"We have to do better."  No shit.  Maybe actually do that for a change.

It does get old. I often wonder who he means by "WE".....
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 10:47 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Per NFL rules, I think there are limits to tackleable practices, and I think our team even goes a bit lighter than the limits.

This! The CBA the players pushed does not allow for much tackling in practice during the season. That's why they were tackling great after camp, and iit is declining now... That's not on coaches, it's on collective bargaining
Reply/Quote
I don't even know what to say any more. There was zero reason to keep Marvin after last season. Lazor is showing why he was run out of other places. He is a below average OC that got outcoached again. He shows know imagination and his play calling is horrible. How do you have MIxon and barely use him? He didn't design one play for Ross? WTF?

And Austin is even worse. It's criminal to be this bad with all that talent.

Marvin is a horrible coach and does zero to inspire the players.

The Chiefs game was like 5th graders playing 2nd graders. Players running at half speed. WR's half assing it because they know they are just a decoy and Dalton will never look or throw to them. Redmond and his cohorts on the offensive line are a joke.

If they make the playoffs it will be sheer luck and god help them if they have to play KC again.

If it wasn't for fantasy football keeping me interested in other players and teams I would stop watching this pathetic mess all together. I am no where near the strident fan from years ago, but really, who is? More of the same pathetic bullshit. Marvin sucks. Mike Brown Sucks.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 12:21 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep was glad to see a few Billings sightings and Core looked better as well. 

But tackling is sketchy at best, a lot of throwing their shoulder at runner for hit and not much on wrapping up.

Think coaching could fix a good portion of it.   

Core better start showing up or Malone since Ross is out again. Need to have some speed besides AJ to open it up
for him and Boyd. We saw how much speed helps that Chiefs Offense pretty much unstoppable. Hope we learned
some things from this last game.

Coaching on Defense is a huge deal, our LB's have been way worse since Haslett got here. Our O-line has been
much better since Pollack has got here and that is with injuries and this is in a short time. Our playcalling has been
much better this year since Lazor now has his own playbook, Dalton has looked much better under Van Pelt etc.

Think we need to move on from Austin and Haslett and bring in some better coaches and Linebackers.

Than we might make a move for at the very least a Playoff win.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 01:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Core better start showing up or Malone since Ross is out again. Need to have some speed besides AJ to open it up
for him and Boyd. We saw how much speed helps that Chiefs Offense pretty much unstoppable. Hope we learned
some things from this last game.

Coaching on Defense is a huge deal, our LB's have been way worse since Haslett got here. Our O-line has been
much better since Pollack has got here and that is with injuries and this is in a short time. Our playcalling has been
much better this year since Lazor now has his own playbook, Dalton has looked much better under Van Pelt etc.

Think we need to move on from Austin and Haslett and bring in some better coaches and Linebackers.

Than we might make a move for at the very least a Playoff win.

It would be great to see another house cleaning on the defensive side of the staff this time in the offseason.  Worked pretty well for the offense.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 03:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: It would be great to see another house cleaning on the defensive side of the staff this time in the offseason.  Worked pretty well for the offense.

Sure did, i think you are correct that we are one year away after seeing Austin struggling and Haslett
continuing to struggle. Maybe if Marv took over the LB's and Defense this year we might be better who
knows. Sure would force him to stay out of the Offense.

Doubt Marv would be worse than these guys, i mean, he was a great DC in Baltimore.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 03:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure did, i think you are correct that we are one year away after seeing Austin struggling and Haslett
continuing to struggle. Maybe if Marv took over the LB's and Defense this year we might be better who
knows. Sure would force him to stay out of the Offense.

Doubt Marv would be worse than these guys, i mean, he was a great DC in Baltimore.

Not bad in Washington either.  I'd be down for Marvin trying to right that ship.  I just don't know if he would anymore.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2018, 10:04 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Bengals missed 18 tackles against the Chiefs, most ever recorded by PFF. Vontaze Burfict missed four by himself. In his three games this season, he has 7 missed tackles, the same amount he had in the entire 2012 & 2015 season.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/10/22/cincinnati-bengals-marvin-lewis-record-depth-chart/1732502002/?from=new-cookie

Came here to post this is if no one else had. When this happens the defense robs itself of opportunities to stop the opposing team -- so your ballhawking zone scheme won't have as many chances to pick off a young QB. Combine this with lack of consistent offensive Time Of Possession against an explosive team like KC and it means a blowout. Also from the same article:

Not only is that the biggest single-game count of missed tackles ever recorded by PFF, the Bengals have now missed double-digit tackles in five of their seven games.

Reply/Quote