Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tackling Issues. Coaching Problem?
I've read posts that indicate coaches can't tackle for the players so it's not a coaching problem. I agree they (coaches) can't tackle but they can instill techniques that magnify the problem. One of which might just be the emphasis on creating turnovers. If a player is heavily focused on attacking the ball they are not focused on the getting the ball carrier to the ground.

Not saying this is main issue but I've seen a bunch of poor tackling resulting from this problem. Case in point in KC the other night when Kareem Hunt broke away from Dre Kirkpatrick for additional yardage. Dre's entire focus was trying to get at the ball rather than wrapping up the ball carrier.

Seems to me there are times our defenders are thinking about attacking the ball way too much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
First man on the scene has the responsibility to wrap up, and stop the progress of the ball carrier. Second man to the play can make a play on the ball.

I will say this; Jesse Bates demonstrates perfect tackling form, in breaking down and tackling at the waist. Several of the others, not so much.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I agree and have thought about this very thing in past weeks. Austin preaches turnovers obviously way more than wrapping up and tackling. And honestly, with the new lame rules, we need our players to wrap up the waist more than ever before because knocking someone down from hitting them is basically illegal now. We look lost on D right now in every way though. We cant cover very well either.

I can barely stomach watching the NFL anymore at all. I can watch the Bengals because they are my beloved team, but when I try to watch any other games as soon as the yellow starts flying I turn the channel. I want to watch football, not refs. NFL is quickly turning into a sport thats not for me. Cant wait to see what that Vince dude does with the XFL this time.
Reply/Quote
Funny thing is.....they actually tackled well in the first couple of games. Hard to figure out.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We are the worst defense in the NFL ! We're averaging giving up 430 yards a game, that's right four hundred thirty yards a game. Actually the Chiefs are worst in yards given up by like 5 yards but they're way better on 3rd down and other areas so that's why I say we're the worst.

We give up nearly 60% of third downs ! This defense is awful to epic proportions, we're on pace to break records in the awfulness of a Cincinnati defense and Probably some NFL records as well.

Yes it's that bad ! We're broken in all phases and all levels of defense. We look dazed, confused, and uninspired on nearly every play.

It's absolutely a coaching problem. Not just the play calling, not just the game plan, not just who's playing where, not just the philosophy, all of it. The players are uninspired and uncaring.

Whatever the coaches are selling the players aren't buying, tackling among that.
Reply/Quote
Per NFL rules, I think there are limits to tackleable practices, and I think our team even goes a bit lighter than the limits.
Reply/Quote
Poor tackling is a player issue until you see almost every player on a team with the same problem. Then it looks more like a coaching problem.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 08:37 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I've read posts that indicate coaches can't tackle for the players so it's not a coaching problem.  I agree they (coaches) can't tackle but they can instill techniques that magnify the problem.  One of which might just be the emphasis on creating turnovers.  If a player is heavily focused on attacking the ball they are not focused on the getting the ball carrier to the ground.

Not saying this is main issue but I've seen a bunch of poor tackling resulting from this problem.  Case in point in KC the other night when Kareem Hunt broke away from Dre Kirkpatrick for additional yardage.  Dre's entire focus was trying to get at the ball rather than wrapping up the ball carrier.

Seems to me there are times our defenders are thinking about attacking the ball way too much.

It is a coaching problem too. Yeah, that was terrible with Dre on that play, really sad tackling fundamentals.

The LB's were turrrible. Need to replace Haslett.

I think you are correct and Austin's plan to try and get more turnovers is backfiring as well.

We were much better at tackling early on which is a bit perplexing. Should be getting better, not worse.

(10-23-2018, 08:48 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: First man on the scene has the responsibility to wrap up, and stop the progress of the ball carrier.  Second man to the play can make a play on the ball.

I will say this;  Jesse Bates demonstrates perfect tackling form, in breaking down and tackling at the waist.  Several of the others, not so much.

Pretty crazy as he is a rookie and that was his problem in college.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 03:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Pretty crazy as he is a rookie and that was his problem in college.

I'm glad that you mentioned that, because I remember reading that about him in his draft profile, as well.  I haven't seen anything out of him thus far, that would give any bit of truth to that claim.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
On the Mo Egger show yesterday, this was an obvious topic they were talking about. Tony Pike on there mentioned that the Bengals don't tackle at all in practice. I know they do some tackling in training camp, but after start of season apparently they don't?

If true it goes back to that old saying, you play like how you practice. Hard to be good tacklers if you dont practice tackling.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 05:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm glad that you mentioned that, because I remember reading that about him in his draft profile, as well.  I haven't seen anything out of him thus far, that would give any bit of truth to that claim.

I agree, that was his knock but he sure cleaned that part of his game up. Great pick that is playing like a top Safety
in the NFL, not just for a rookie. One of the highlights that can give us a positive after that embarassing night we all
just witnessed.

Billings made a couple real nice stops too. Cool

But this LB play needs to improve big time. Dre too in tackling, that was ugly man.
Reply/Quote
Mike Zimmer would still have never put up with the "tackling" we've seen on this team.

The 3 Worst Bengals Decisions In the Mike Brown Era:
1. Leaving the team to Mike Brown
2. Not accepting the Saints entire '99 draft picks PLUS '00 and '01 1st round picks, and an '02 2nd round pick and instead drafting Akili Smith.
3. Retaining Marvin Lewis and letting Mike Zimmer leave to be a HC elsewhere. (Mike Zimmer HC + Hue Jackson OC = at least 1 SB)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 06:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: On the Mo Egger show yesterday, this was an obvious topic they were talking about. Tony Pike on there mentioned that the Bengals don't tackle at all in practice. I know they do some tackling in training camp, but after start of season apparently they don't?

If true it goes back to that old saying, you play like how you practice. Hard to be good tacklers if you dont practice tackling.

Amazing ! and unbelievable 
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 06:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, that was his knock but he sure cleaned that part of his game up. Great pick that is playing like a top Safety
in the NFL, not just for a rookie. One of the highlights that can give us a positive after that embarassing night we all
just witnessed.

But this LB play needs to improve big time. Dre too in tackling, that was ugly man.

Let's hope Billings is headed back in the right direction.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 06:04 PM)Millhouse Wrote: On the Mo Egger show yesterday, this was an obvious topic they were talking about. Tony Pike on there mentioned that the Bengals don't tackle at all in practice. I know they do some tackling in training camp, but after start of season apparently they don't?

I wonder how that compares to other NFL teams?  I have always believed that there was a degree of body tempering that came from contact practice. Obviously, you don't want to go all out like in a game, but I always found contact practice to be a good way to shake off "remains" from a game.

Since the league started restricting the amount of time on contact practices so heavily, I wonder if that has correlated into more or less severe injuries?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think it's also general laziness too. You see way too much arm tackling, way too high in tackling (it's lead to penalties too). Backs nowadays, like Hunt, are way too big to try and arm tackle (Kirkpatrick learned his lesson). You don't really see any follow through. Tackling is one of the fundamentals of the game of Football, and we can't do that right. It's lead to a lot of issues, yards after contact and extended plays on defense. I think it would help, might even stop the bleeding, but there is SIGNIFICANT issues on that defense.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 07:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I wonder how that compares to other NFL teams? I have always believed that there was a degree of body tempering that came from contact practice. Obviously, you don't want to go all out like in a game, but I always found contact practice to be a good way to shake off "remains" from a game.

Since the league started restricting the amount of time on contact practices so heavily, I wonder if that has correlated into more or less severe injuries?

There is, plus like has been said you play how you practice.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 08:02 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I think it's also general laziness too. You see way too much arm tackling, way too high in tackling (it's lead to penalties too). Backs nowadays, like Hunt, are way too big to try and arm tackle (Kirkpatrick learned his lesson). You don't really see any follow through. Tackling is one of the fundamentals of the game of Football, and we can't do that right. It's lead to a lot of issues, yards after contact and extended plays on defense. I think it would help, might even stop the bleeding, but there is SIGNIFICANT issues on that defense.

Kirkpatrick was taught a lesson (again), but has he ever actually learned it? Guy has been a poor tackler from Day One, we're now in Year SEVEN still talking about it. That's hardly learning a lesson. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I say Fire DC T.Austin now & send a message. There is simply way too much talent on this Defense for them to be last in the league. Next step release Micheal Johnson, as he is worthless. Draft young more Linebackers until they get it right. Ours look so old & slow. It’s amazing how bad it’s been with Vigil out.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2018, 06:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, that was his knock but he sure cleaned that part of his game up. Great pick that is playing like a top Safety
just witnessed.

Yep was glad to see a few Billings sightings and Core looked better as well. 

But tackling is sketchy at best, a lot of throwing their shoulder at runner for hit and not much on wrapping up.

Think coaching could fix a good portion of it.   

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote