Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tag Window Open - Bates Tagged
(02-22-2022, 06:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't want to speak for Frank, but I'm assuming it's more about the cost of the player.
If paying that much for a safety impacts potential OL and/or DL signings, that's a potential concern.
I think they can pull off retaining Bates and still covering OL and DL though, but they may have to get creative and take some gambles on some B-tier guys.

I'd much rather gamble on a lower safety than gamble on a lower offensive lineman. They absolutely NEED to fix the OL. A safety would just be nice to have.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 07:10 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: bingo, plus the potential concern of being unstable, as demonstrated earlier in the season

Quote:When Cincinnati Bengals safety Jessie Bates III was in unfamiliar territory on Thursday Night Football last week, he said he initially tried to play it cool.

Before the Bengals’ Week 4 win, Bates had never missed an NFL game. He had played in 99% of the Bengals defensive snaps in 2018, 2019 and 2020, and he had missed only one snap during the entire 2021 season before Week 4.
When Bates missed the game against the Jacksonville Jaguars with a neck injury, his initial plan was to just watch from the sideline. But after the Bengals went down 14-0, Bates ended up talking to his teammates and firing up the crowd.

That does not sound like an unstable player, but rather a team leader doing all that he can to help his team while out with injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 04:28 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Well, the difference is there's plenty of guys (maybe even you?) who probably never played a sport that definitely don't want the guy signed for reasons I mentioned. I'm just telling you there are plenty of intangibles that go into being a successful player,teammate,leader, etc. and these all go into the mixing bowl when evaluating not only the worth of a player but the backbone and chemistry of a team.

You cracked the code...i never played sports. I do remember as a child when mama was telling me to quit looking out the window at those athletic kids playing tag and get back to my violin lessons. How I longed to be out there playing sports with the higgy100's of the world, but it wasn't to be. I was far too fragile and unathletic. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 04:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What does that mean?

It means dude doesn't think JC has the drive to play in the NFL..

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 04:28 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Well, the difference is there's plenty of guys (maybe even you?) who probably never played a sport.

[Image: main_5-Ed-O-Neill-Signed-Bundy-Polk-High...on.com.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
They won’t be using the tag on Bates…he’ll have a new contact with us soon.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 01:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I’m not gonna lie, I wouldn’t give a shit if the bengals didn’t re-sign or even tag Bates

Too many holes on this roster that need serious money put into it

and it really seems like people are more fans of Bates than the Bengals, which is hilarious to me

I agree, under the assumption they spend all their cap space, and mainly on O line. If they use it to sign a bunch of back ups and Tier B and C free agents, I’ll be pissed they didn’t resign Bates. I don’t know enough about how many Fa we can actually sign, but I 100% would rather have a stud OL plater than Bates.
Reply/Quote
Big fan of Bates and wanted to keep him months back when everybody that is saying to keep Bates now say he sucks and luckily the Bengals did not waste their money on signing him.

He would have come at reasonable price then and was part of a great Safety tandem even if his play had slipped some. But dude balled out in playoffs and could have easily been the Bengals MVP of playoffs earning him a really nice payday. His play was a thing of beauty when it counted.

Nowadays the NFL is "get yours" league when it comes to monetary compensation now that everybody starts on a rookie deal and Bates did just that when it counted and earned a big payday.

They say he could get upwards to $18 million and we are going to hold him hostage at 12 million when there is no chance of signing him to big deal later because it will be time for Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, Jonah, and Chase to be signed at same time and he would just be a one to two year mercenary for Bengals.  If we sign him now their deals coming soon will have to factor into Bate's contract. Just seems unfair to him.

If tagged you may get lucky and he balls out being it would still be a contract year, yet he may be unhappy playing for a half a million less a month too. He is a smart man and would treat him as such and explain the obvious that the O-line must be addressed immediately and a big contract to him would prevent this from happening. Would explain the respect we have for him and tell him to go get offers and we will match up to 13 million for you to remain a Bengal on contract but no tag will be used to hold you back.

He will get more from another team but he will leave knowing he was treated with honesty and respect and Bengals may have a chance of re-signing him a few years down the road when it benefits both parties . Would not try and sign a cheaper FA to replace him because there are some nice FS in the draft that will be there at 31 for a very reasonable price. Would target Brisker personally but the team knows better than me obviously.

Hate losing Bates but would hate not fixing the O-line much more. Plus there is a great chance to find a solid safety in draft at 31 than most other positions anyway imo.

But if they can fix O-line properly and retain Bates then I'm all for that but think the money he will require would add a really nice piece to O-line and seems the logical choice to trim the fat because it would only be one hole left to fill.

Everybody talking holes but the O-line is the only major hole I see. If not signing Bates allows Bengals to fix O-line in FA and the team to go BPA with exception of a FS.  Then they could use picks for FS, CB, DT, TE, RB, and OL in draft with only player lost being Bates and should be loaded for bear with a new solid O-line.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 11:29 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Big fan of Bates and wanted to keep him months back when everybody that is saying to keep Bates now said he sucked and luckily the Bengals did not waste their money on signing him.

He would have come at reasonable price then and was part of a great Safety tandem even if his play had slipped some. But dude balled out in playoffs and could have easily been the Bengals MVP of playoffs earning him a really nice payday. His play was a thing of beauty when it counted.

Nowadays the NFL is "get yours" league when it comes to monetary compensation now that everybody starts on a rookie deal and Bates did just that when it counted and earned a big payday.

They say he could get upwards to $18 million and we are going to hold him hostage at 12 million when there is no chance of signing him to big deal later because it will be time for Burrow, Higgins, Wilson, Jonah, and Chase to be signed at same time and he would just be a one to two year mercenary for Bengals.  If we sign him now their deals coming soon will have to factor into Bate's contract. Just seems unfair to him.

If tagged you may get lucky and he balls out being it would still be a contract year, yet he may be unhappy playing for a half a million less a month too. He is a smart man and would treat him as such and explain the obvious that the O-line must be addressed immediately and a big contract to him would prevent this from happening. Would explain the respect we have for him and tell him to go get offers and we will match up to 13 million for you to remain a Bengal on contract but no tag will be used to hold you back.

He will get more from another team but he will leave knowing he was treated with honesty and respect and Bengals may have a chance of re-signing him a few years down the road when it benefits both parties . Would not try and sign a cheaper FA to replace him because there are some nice FS in the draft that will be there at 31 for a very reasonable price. Would target Brisker personally but the team knows better than me obviously.

Hate losing Bates but would hate not fixing the O-line much more. Plus there is a great chance to find a solid safety in draft at 31 than most other positions anyway imo.

But if they can fix O-line properly and retain Bates then I'm all for that but think the money he will require would add a really nice piece to O-line and seems the logical choice to trim the fat because it would only be one hole left to fill.

Everybody talking holes but the O-line is the only major hole I see. If not signing Bates allows Bengals to fix O-line in FA and the team to go BPA with exception of a FS.  Then they could use picks for FS, CB, DT, TE, RB, and OL in draft with only player lost being Bates and should be loaded for bear with a new solid O-line.

That's the transition tag

Reply/Quote
Tag the Cart
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 05:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Jessie Bates will be extremely difficult to replace in the secondary. His range at safety allows them to play a very complex defense. With how cheap the secondary is being paid at the moment splurging on a player like Bates is definitely worth it.

This.  He covers a lot of ills out there and took a lot of pressure off of the corners by manning CF well.  The franchise tag is well worth the money and they will have enough to improve the OL and fill starter spots.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 08:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: main_5-Ed-O-Neill-Signed-Bundy-Polk-High...on.com.jpg]

Al Bundy would be an upgrade over Perrine.  He got the tough yard against Bubba Smith.  Not to mention he scored 4 TD's in one game.
Reply/Quote
Jessie Bates was posting some cryptic stuff on his social accounts last night insinuating that a deal may be very close. I'd expect to hear something by the end of the week.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 09:56 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: Jessie Bates was posting some cryptic stuff on his social accounts last night insinuating that a deal may be very close. I'd expect to hear something by the end of the week.

Cryptic? It was just the big eyes emoji that tons of players throw out there when contract stuff is up in the air.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cryptic? It was just the big eyes emoji that tons of players throw out there when contract stuff is up in the air.

Yes and something on his IG. He posted a song about Money Bags or something like that around the same time as the big eye emoji on his twitter. 

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:17 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: Yes and something on his IG. He posted a song about Money Bags or something like that around the same time as the big eye emoji on his twitter. 

Ah ok, didn’t know about the IG thing. You just never know with this stuff though. I found it a little annoying when Mixon was doing it.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ah ok, didn’t know about the IG thing. You just never know with this stuff though. I found it a little annoying when Mixon was doing it.

Yeah and I don't think these guys would be posting stuff in a joking way, it's their livelihood. You never know though, he could just be easing the tension by posting that stuff. He also retweeted Mike Hilton's "Extend Jessie Bates" post yesterday around the same time. All signs point to a deal coming soon (hopefully).

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2022, 08:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You cracked the code...i never played sports. I do remember as a child when mama was telling me to quit looking out the window at those athletic kids playing tag and get back to my violin lessons. How I longed to be out there playing sports with the higgy100's of the world, but it wasn't to be. I was far too fragile and unathletic. 

THEY CALL ME....MR. GLASS
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 09:56 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: Jessie Bates was posting some cryptic stuff on his social accounts last night insinuating that a deal may be very close. I'd expect to hear something by the end of the week.

Maybe he's just taking a page out of Mixon's book and trolling everyone lol.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe he's just taking a page out of Mixon's book and trolling everyone lol.

Nervous

Reply/Quote