Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take Anthony Schwartz!
(03-31-2021, 09:09 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: He hasn't shown he even knows there is a position called tight end let alone how to use one but some people on here are still pounding the table for Pitts 

With as weak as a collection of TE’s the Bengals have had, why on earth would ZT design a TE-featured offense.  Seems to me he has a handle on the situation. As it is, the TE group has produced 125 catches the last two years (mostly of the dump off variety).

I get the feeling he wants to incorporate the TE more.  Sample was a hard miss and undoubtedly not a ZT kind of guy.  I believe the 2019 class is 100% onTobin, etc.

I find it interesting that he will be in Gainesville to check on Pitts today.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 02:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: From what I remember, Zampese and Tobin wanted Ross, Marvin wanted someone else. Mike Brown chose to side with Tobin and Zampese.

The 2017 was a really weak class non-QB wise.  If you look at the 10-12 guys picked after Ross.  Not much quality there also.

Just like the Ced-Fisher draft. That draft was devoid of o-line talent like no draft I have ever seen.

It’s an axiom for me - make your picks with the strongest and deepest position group(s) or you’ll be sorry.

This year is special because OL and WR are really talented and deep.  For once, things should work out for the Bengals!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:40 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: The 2017 was a really weak class non-QB wise.  If you look at the 10-12 guys picked after Ross.  Not much quality there also.

Just like the Ced-Fisher draft. That draft was devoid of o-line talent like no draft I have ever seen.

It’s an axiom for me - make your picks with the strongest and deepest position group(s) or you’ll be sorry.

This year is special because OL and WR are really talented and deep.  For once, things should work out for the Bengals!

Yea, the top 3 WRs in that draft were Mike Williams, Corey Davis, and John Ross. None of them have become bona-fide WR1s.
Davis and Williams are good WR2s though.

I still wish the Bengals had taken OJ Howard in that draft. He's averaged ~40 yards per game while sharing TE reps with Brate. While that doesn't sound like a lot, that averages to 640 yards over 16 games, which would be Top 10.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:47 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yea, the top 3 WRs in that draft were Mike Williams, Corey Davis, and John Ross. None of them have become bona-fide WR1s.
Davis and Williams are good WR2s though.

I still wish the Bengals had taken OJ Howard in that draft. He's averaged ~40 yards per game while sharing TE reps with Brate. While that doesn't sound like a lot, that averages to 640 yards over 16 games, which would be Top 10.

Of course, Williams and Davis were picked ahead of Ross. Too bad we thought we were flush with CB’s because that was the strength of that draft.

Howard would have been a reach at 9. Before he lost he job he average about 500 yards a year. Sample got 350 this year by comparison.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2021, 12:01 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I like these prospects also, but Darden and Eskridge obviously lack size and are projected as slot receivers. And Auburn doesn’t have level of competition questionsThus they aren’t Day 3 prospects with all the tools. Wallace isn’t a Day 3 prospect. If they had all the tools they wouldn’t be Day 3 prospects.

Nah, both are deep threats which is what we need regardless of size. 

Speedsters with good hands and are amazing in open space.

(03-31-2021, 09:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Honestly, after what I saw from Eskridge at the Senior Bowl, when I factor in his kick returning ability not to mention he played CB last year as well, I would rather have Eskridge as our later round WR over Schwartz.  I would even give our forth round pick for him as I think that highly of him.

Would love either Eskridge or Darden in the 4th...
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 06:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nah, both are deep threats which is what we need regardless of size. 

Speedsters with good hands and are amazing in open space.

Would love either Eskridge or Darden in the 4th...

The Bengals are in need of a x receiver to replace AJ. (And WR depth.) I think Higgins is more of a z. I’d love for the Bengals to have Eskridge or Darden, but I don’t think they project well as an outside WR in the NFL getting jammed at the LOS against a #1 or 2 CB. That includes Schwartz, also. I see all three of them as a WR3/4 working out of the slot or motion. And I think Schwartz may go around later. So if the Bengals grab a defender in round 4 they still might get Schwartz in the 5th.

But, I’m by no means a scout. Just a guy who likes football and the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 10:32 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: With as weak as a collection of TE’s the Bengals have had, why on earth would ZT design a TE-featured offense.  Seems to me he has a handle on the situation. As it is, the TE group has produced 125 catches the last two years (mostly of the dump off variety).

I get the feeling he wants to incorporate the TE more.  Sample was a hard miss and undoubtedly not a ZT kind of guy.  I believe the 2019 class is 100% onTobin, etc.

I find it interesting that he will be in Gainesville to check on Pitts today.
He had a healthy Eifert in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2021, 04:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: and....

can catch

is durable

run routes

not a head case

I like Schwartz. Definitely wouldn't be a wasted pick, just by virtue of the fact that he'd bring a unique skillset to our team. It was easy to mock him to us when he was carrying a R5/6 grade (he's climbed a bit now). But I never understood why scouts grouped him in with Shi Smith, Jaedon Darden, Cade Johnson, much less Josh Palmer or Josh Imatorbhebhe. One good thing about Schwartz is that he does look the part on the field imo (as opposed to Trevon Grimes, for example, who plays slower than his time). It's not just straight ahead speed. Hopefully some of this press will get him the contract deserves.

But the first name that came to mind when I read your post was Damonte Coxie. He had a piss-poor pro day last week (4.77, 30 inch vert, 4 reps... something like that... brutal across the board) and carries a R6/7 grade right now. But he could well be the next Landry or Boldin. This kid's tape is fire. He's 6'3", excellent instincts/footwork, competitive af (in the good way), plays faster than his time, absolutely FEARLESS across the middle, playmaker, decent blocker, and his hands are glue. Whatever he lacks in separation and measurables he makes up for in body control and production. It would seem criminal to dismiss him on account of scores taken in a gym.

I mean, Antonio Gibson was a superb find for Washington last year and he played behind Coxie. I think the Memphis program is churning out legit talent these days (I'd consider Kenny Gainwell in R4 if he were there too). At worst, he could become the next Dezmon Briscoe for us (btw, there's room for him now!  Wink).

Curious- what do y'all think about this kid?

(Catch vs SMU at 2:53 is especially ridic)
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2021, 07:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The Bengals are in need of a x receiver to replace AJ. (And WR depth.) I think Higgins is more of a z. I’d love for the Bengals to have Eskridge or Darden, but I don’t think they project well as an outside WR in the NFL getting jammed at the LOS against a #1 or 2 CB. That includes Schwartz, also. I see all three of them as a WR3/4 working out of the slot or motion. And I think Schwartz may go around later. So if the Bengals grab a defender in round 4 they still might get Schwartz in the 5th.

But, I’m by no means a scout. Just a guy who likes football and the draft.

Completely understand, I am with you here.

If Pitts makes it past Atlanta I like him to even play X same with Chase.

Pitts is special, you can play him at every Receiving position.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2021, 03:51 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Anthony Schwartz ran a $.26 40 yard dash at the Auburn pro day!

That's LIGHTNING FAST!

He does have some weaknesses, like he gets jammed at the line, doesn't have the best route running abilities outside of just a go route, skinny, and is kind of an all or nothing guy, but he's only 20 and those things can be coached-up at the next level! I'm actually liking our coaching staff to help players transition to the next level!  He's so young that he's not even fully developed in his game and will still develop into what I think will be an explosive player.

Put him in the slot and I think it helps ease the loss of AJ because it will keep safeties honest and off our receivers on the outside.

He can also excel in the run game on reverses and other gadget plays.

Here's 3 minutes of highlights from 2019:

Here's more: 

We attended his pro day and met with him, so it sounds like we're interested.

Projected to be taken early in the fourth which I think would be a PERFECT place for us to take him!

Let's draft a speedy receiver because he's fast???? Two words... John Ross.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 12:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Let's draft a speedy receiver because he's fast???? Two words... John Ross.

I addressed this is an earlier response in this thread:

Quote:This kid's young and has more natural receiving ability than Ross had, he just needs to be developed more, which can happen with him being so young.
Reply/Quote