Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Take the freaking points
(10-10-2022, 01:41 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Chase might. Burrow isn't the kind of petulant guy to bail on a team. 

Someone said Burrow isn't as good as advertised. I think it's a Zac thing. Have you seen the dude play? He has moments of sheer genius. And yes I'm biased but... of all dudes to say they're overrated I don't think Burrow is one of them.

This is unearned Jamarr slander
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not saying we need to fire ZT or anything, he's here for years regardless.  With that being said, did he change the culture or did we just get better players?

In 2019 he was supposed to be an instant upgrade over Marvin and get Dalton back to 2015 form and get Ross looking like an actual 1st round pick.  A few games into that season we went from resurrecting that squad to "Well, no one could win with this roster."

Then in 2020 he lost games with and without Burrow.

Then 2021 was glorious and Burrow and Chase were instant magic.

Now we are in 2022 and we're looking fairly average so far.  It's hard to say ZT changed our culture when he can only win when Burrow and Chase are playing lights out.  There are changes beyond Burrow and Chase, but how often do we see Burrow have an off day and ZT step up and bail him out?  Maybe it happens more than I notice.  Most NFL teams live and die by the QB, but I sincerely doubt we'll ever see NFL analysts look at the ZT and Burrow era and ask "Which one of them really made it work?"

tl;dr - ZT found a way to win in the NFL when a #1 overall QB and a top 5 pick WR are playing out of their minds. 

Zac just got lucky. Right place, right time. Just look at his record. He's 1 of the worst coaches in the league. 1 fluke run and now we are stuck with him. New ways of being ****** over being a bengals fan lol.. All this talent wasted. Sad
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:41 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Chase might. Burrow isn't the kind of petulant guy to bail on a team. 

Someone said Burrow isn't as good as advertised. I think it's a Zac thing. Have you seen the dude play? He has moments of sheer genius. And yes I'm biased but... of all dudes to say they're overrated I don't think Burrow is one of them.

We're thinking way ahead here for a team that just has to beat a 34 year old Andy Dalton to get back in the playoff hunt.  With that being said, I can't see Burrow demanding a trade BUT I also can't see him gleefully playing his entire career with ZT if ZT doesn't get back to 2021 form, that is, the form he's in when Burrow and Chase are scoring TDs at will.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:58 AM)Tony Wrote: Zac just got lucky. Right place, right time. Just look at his record. He's 1 of the worst coaches in the league. 1 fluke run and now we are stuck with him. New ways of being ****** over being a bengals fan lol.. All this talent wasted. Sad

Well, I think you're going a bit overboard but I do stand by my old prediction that ZT is likely to be deemed a good coach so long as no game in his career where Burrow was NOT his QB is ever counted against him.
Reply/Quote
Bengals I believe are 2 for 7 on 4th down. Take the points.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:56 AM)Housh Wrote: This is unearned Jamarr slander

Chase is being stifled by this offensive scheme. He's one of the most physically gifted players anyone has ever seen. If he's not able to shine the way he should be, he SHOULD demand a trade. Burrow, on the other hand, has a rare stubbornness and refusal to give up on anything. Not a knock on Chase, but most players just don't have that quality. I don't see it in Chase. He seems like he's just along for the ride. Burrow, in addition to that quality he has, that rare quality, has the keys to the franchise, and has a lot more pull than Chase. It would take a lot more for him to demand a trade. I don't see why that's so complicated to understand.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:55 AM)Tony Wrote: I still think hea good. He's just not elite. Elite QBs can beat a cover 2 and don't fold for long periods of time like he does. I still wouldn't trade him for anyone. I'm just backing off the elite talk. 

It’s up to the coaches to scheme around certain coverages, not the players.

Reply/Quote
Those 3 points would be pretty handy about now that’s for sure.
Reply/Quote
They threw up that stat about how the Bengals D had the best streak in the NFL for not allowing a second half touchdown. Seems like a simple logic problem unless you expect your defense to break down and play worse. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:51 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I like the decision to go for it on 4th down. I just didn't like the play that was called. Should have run Mixon.

And we have been saying don't run Mixon since it has not worked down there, the killer play was the gadget play no one figured loss of 10 on that one.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 02:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s up to the coaches to scheme around certain coverages, not the players.

Not totally , QBs has a lot of say especially Burrow in this offense  to audible out ,  see defenses and key players have to adjust. Great example was the changes Lamar and Andrew's made tonight in a blitz look at line , not seeing that much from Burrow  and Chase this year like last and  just as Zac could have used advice from Sam if still around with better play calling, can we get Boomer to help Joe with  his play action, it is not good at all.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:47 AM)Synric Wrote: That is a very simple minded way to evaluate the the team. I dont hate the 4th down call the defense was playing great.

It starts with BRIAN CALLAHAN and the offense.

Quit calling people simple minded that is a personal attack on the poster.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:56 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This is another thing I just can't understand. Last week with Mixon averaging 2 yds a pop we keep trying to pound it in. Which I'm fine still trying it some then but this week Mixon is over 4yds a carry. To not run it there just makes no sense. Make them stop you. But I saw Goodberry said it was a good call to go for the TD. I'd agree if your playing the Bills or the Ravens had been scoring right and left. But it was 13-10 late in the 3rd. Just take the points or run it on 1st and probably score.

Take the points there specially after you just got zero yards on the preceding plays. You are on the road late in the game in Zacs mind he was in a 30-point shootout and has been moving the ball up and down the field all night.
Reply/Quote
It's boom-bust stuff. Obviously if we convert then we love the play as it likely wins the game, if you don't convert then it's a dumb play. Will say we have seen a few safeties scores around the league this season, so always the chance of that if you don't convert too.

But... by the textbook, you should probably just kick the FG in a 3rd quarter, 13-10 game. You don't even have to read into the stats, we've gone for it a few times this year already and haven't been converting these.

I said it after the Pittsburgh game, there were lots of elements to that defeat which to me just showed poor coaching/preparation. ZT hasn't done a great deal to reassure me since.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 06:01 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not totally , QBs has a lot of say especially Burrow in this offense  to audible out ,  see defenses and key players have to adjust. Great example was the changes Lamar and Andrew's made tonight in a blitz look at line , not seeing that much from Burrow  and Chase this year like last and  just as Zac could have used advice from Sam if still around with better play calling, can we get Boomer to help Joe with  his play action, it is not good at all.

Burrow only has the ability to check in or out of a run or pass. He can’t design the plays. Not being able to overcome a 20 year old coverage is a Callahan/Taylor problem.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:58 AM)cincyfan429 Wrote: Zac is this teams biggest weakness. He is so bad. As bad as he was tonight he was even worse against Pitt. If that's a silver lining. Zac is responsible for two losses so far this season and it's only week 5. Get rid of the guy he's a loser. 

Take the play calling away from him it is Callahan's offense let him call the plays before Zac sinks this ship.

Zac has built a good team and culture, but he is trash at play calling. For those that say Brian is calling the plays watch the game you see Zac yapping into the headset before every play Brian could not call the plays if Zac is constantly yapping on the headset, so Zac is calling the plays.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 06:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow only has the ability to check in or out of a run or pass. He can’t design the plays. Not being able to overcome a 20 year old coverage is a Callahan/Taylor problem.

This two things are not exclusive, also Burrow has missed plays that have been there, tonight pointed could out couple times, he had Boyd open in middle, one probably for a TD.  Just as coaches have to adjust so do young QBs.. and as i stated before, selling a play is important, Burrow needs work on that for sure.

This has been a team failure on offense with our two elite players not playing elite but more blame goes to coaches I agree
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:59 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Boom. I hope they stop pulling that crap. Even if the playcalling is good. And I don't get the logic of going for it if the defense is playing well. To me it should be the exact opposite unless they're down 17 points or so. 

The defense was doing well enough to stop them to where, like I said before, this game was obviously going to come down to a field goal. And they have the best kicker in the NFL.

Thanks a lot Zac! Great job as always. 

/rant

Until Zac gave the other team momentum because we came away from their 2 yard line with zero points.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:09 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The one answer to this equation that no one wants to talk about is maybe those guys aren’t as good as we think they are.

I don’t believe that, but it is a possibility. I think we are seeing a coaching deficit, but a realistic answer could still be that we are overrating how talented they are.

Burrow's field vision has gotten worse he forced it into Chase for an int when we had a guy wide open up in middle of the field.
Reply/Quote
Zac the Head Coach made the right decision to go for it. Zac Taylor the playcaller pissed down his leg on those 4 plays. He will always hold this team back as the playcaller offensive schemer. He’s bland, uninspiring and not a good playcaller. Coach good, playcaller awful.
Reply/Quote