Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tales of Kirkpatrick's departure premature???
https://www.bengals.com/news/reports-bengals-cb-depth-multiplies-with-tnew-protege

Quote:The 26-year-old Alexander fits the profile the Bengals have been seeking in free agency: an experienced veteran who is heading into his second contract and fifth season as a relatively young player after taking more than 500 snaps last year. They came into free agency sucking wind on corner depth and are now breathing much easier as Waynes moves into one starting role with starters Dre Kirkpatrick and William Jackson III still in the fold and Alexander teaming with Darius Phillips in the slot.

That gives them three first-rounders in Kirkpatrick (2012), Waynes (2015) and Jackson (2016) to go with Alexander, a second-rounder out of Clemson in 2016.
Doesn't sound to me like he's going anywhere....
Reply/Quote
Jackson is on the last year of his contract. So one of these guys may be projected to take his place.

But Darius Phillips really looked good last year and we have brought in FOUR new CBs so far this off season. Seems like someone has to go this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Jackson is on the last year of his contract.  So one of these guys may be projected to take his place.

But Darius Phillips really looked good last year and we have brought in FOUR new CBs so far this off season.  Seems like someone has to go this year.

Yep, but it sounds like Kirkpatrick, WJIII are still the outside starters.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Kirkpatrick makes it to the draft. To me it's them seeing if there are any takrrs after FA slows down or a cut but you aren't going to carry 3 boundary corners making that much money. Phillips has inside/outside flexibility as your first fill-in and with Kirkpatrick having no inside flexibility I just don't see a spot for him. I am wondering if they are waiting to cut him until the physicals are passed and they are officially signed.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:52 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, but it sounds like Kirkpatrick, WJIII are still the outside starters.

You aren't paying Waynes that much money to sit the bench and he isn't a slot corner. Someone is on their way out...
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't think Kirkpatrick makes it to the draft. To me it's them seeing if there are any takrrs after FA slows down or a cut but you aren't going to carry 3 boundary corners making that much money. Phillips has inside/outside flexibility as your first fill-in and with Kirkpatrick having no inside flexibility I just don't see a spot for him. I am wondering if they are waiting to cut him until the physicals are passed and they are officially signed.

Could be, but I am not as certain as I was.....
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't think Kirkpatrick makes it to the draft. To me it's them seeing if there are any takrrs after FA slows down or a cut but you aren't going to carry 3 boundary corners making that much money. Phillips has inside/outside flexibility as your first fill-in and with Kirkpatrick having no inside flexibility I just don't see a spot for him. I am wondering if they are waiting to cut him until the physicals are passed and they are officially signed.

(03-19-2020, 02:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: You aren't paying Waynes that much money to sit the bench and he isn't a slot corner. Someone is on their way out...

Agreed and why was Dre selling his Bengals gear if he is sticking around? He be gone sooner or later.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Could be, but I am not as certain as I was.....

I think it has something to do with the inability to do physicals. Dre is coming off an injury, we could have a trade in place for him that is held up for a physical. We could be holding him until we get Waynes officially signed just in case. There are reasons why he is here now, I just don't think he will be in a week or two. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed and why was Dre selling his Bengals gear if he is sticking around? He be gone sooner or later.

Maybe he got new stuff. I'm not saying he's staying, I'm saying that article sounds like he's staying.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe he got new stuff. I'm not saying he's staying, I'm saying that article sounds like he's staying.

It does, I understand that, just think its BS.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 02:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: You aren't paying Waynes that much money to sit the bench and he isn't a slot corner. Someone is on their way out...

Exactly, its gotta be Dre
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Billon percent chance Kirkpatrick is gone lol. They will try to trade him until the last minute and eventually cut him. For one thing there not paying all those corners and only 3 can start. Which will be Jackson III and Wayne’s on the outside with Alexander in the slot and Phillips as depth with the draft coming up to possibly add another.
Reply/Quote
For giggles I looked it up, if we DIDN'T cut Dre we would have 3 of the top 18 highest paid corners in the league between WJ3, Dre, Waynes.
Reply/Quote
Dalton + W Jackson for Patriots 1st
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

There are still some really good players unsigned, even Clowney.  With the cap space the Bengals have now or could have with Dre's money, I have to believe they will still be active in FA, even for a big contract guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 03:43 PM)J24 Wrote: Dalton + W Jackson for Patriots 1st

Would rather trade them Kirkpatrick then WJ3. Wouldn't even have to be a first, I would be fine with a 3rd or do a straight up 
player trade for Wynn or one of their Linebackers.
Reply/Quote
I still think Dre is gone. Might need to give him a physical before they can trade or release him and teams aren’t allowed to do that right now.
Reply/Quote
I rather trade WJ3.
He's has not really played up to expectations
Coming out of Houston
Dre has been hurt no argument there
Seems like though everytime I see Jackson
He's getting beat on a comeback route or a WR
Gets the inside position on him
He's not a big play CB.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 04:44 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I rather trade WJ3.
He's has not really played up to expectations
Coming out of Houston
Dre has been hurt no argument there
Seems like though everytime I see Jackson
He's getting beat on a comeback route or a WR
Gets the inside position on him
He's not a big play CB.

I disagree.. he was a top rated Corner 2 years ago.. had some injuries also.. last two years very few Def. players performed well.. it is more a unit thing than a individual thing... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 04:51 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I disagree.. he was a top rated Corner 2 years ago.. had some injuries also.. last two years very few Def. players performed well.. it is more a unit thing than a individual thing... 

agreed we know what we have with Kirkpatrick and Jackson has a much higher ceiling.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote