Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tank?
Is it even worth hoping for this season to turn around? Even if it did, is this team really going to win a playoff game? Would it be worth another one and done playoff appearance to chance being stuck with Marvin any longer? Or would it simply be better to tank, and go something like 4-12 and finally cut bait with this incompetent, on screen hand clapping, mouth open, no clue excuse for a head coach?
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of bad teams out there. We'll likely beat the Colts next week.

We'll probably finish with 6 or 7 wins.
Reply/Quote
I don’t care if they win another game this year. That may be what it takes for the team to move on from Marvin and maybe we can get a Kings ransom for a top 5 draft pick from a team that needs a QB. Even if they squeak into the playoffs somehow, they will not win a game with this O line.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Face it, this is the Steelers year. The NFL will allow them to win their 7th so Pig Ban can go out a winner instead of a whiner. Irregardless of that, this team is woefully underperforming, again, and it's time for Lewis to go.....
Reply/Quote
We could skid the rest of the games and Marvin still be head coach next season. We could run the table and he get replaced.

We all know what we would do if we were owners, but none of us know what Mike Brown will do. So celebrate the victories, and don't worry about Marvin's poor coaching. If the last decade has taught us anything, it's that we can't do anything about it anyway.
Reply/Quote
We ain't the Browns. That said we'll struggle to get to .500,an 8-8 finish. In the NFL.....there's just no tradition of " tank".
In the NBA the top 5 guys in a draft likely are impact. By the time you hit pick #20.... odds are you do not get a star ..if even a starter. In the NFL.....rd 1 guys are good but just look at the Bengals. Zeitler is gone. A Smith left,returned as a FA. Eifort and Ross have not played much (injuries) and Dennard has not been IMPACT at all. Meanwhile.....Geno and Burfict are the ACES of our D. Lawson and Willis look solid. They were not high picks. Ced O and Fisher are slow to emerge at OT. We start a G who wasn't drafted.

I EXPECT of our 5 top picks 2,maybe 3 are O-Line. Depending on what happens with Eifort we may also pick a TE. If we replace the O Line coach I would not be surprised, Lewis? well....we might do better.. or worse.
To RISE you need to draft VERY good and to DEVELOP who you get. Much of that is not Marvin's job. No doubt if a Bill Walsh clone was available...I want him. However...who really is out there? The PROVEN guys are content where they are.
Reply/Quote
For the first time in many years I did not fool myself at the beginning of this season that we had a chance.

It doesn't matter if we win a few games- there is no hope of this team winning a playoff game much less competing for the SuperBowl.

We have a good but not great QB playing behind an awful o line with the worst center in the league( has been for four years), the worst combination of o tackles in the league, and free agent guards who would not start for most if any other teams, and an awful coaching staff and completely unimaginative unmotivated front office.

This had been a compete train wreck since the 2015 meltdown in playoffs against Steelers and Marvin continued as coach.

2016 and 2017 are completely wasted seasons.

Mike Brown and management not serious about winning or doing things needed to win.

I am hoping that attendance will crash for the rest of the season.
Reply/Quote
I don't think that even signing Tank Johnson would save our season at this point.
Reply/Quote
I don’t like the idea of tanking, since that means losing on purpose and not trying. What I think the team should do at this point is evaluate the roster and use games almost like a practice. Start sitting guys you know won’t be here next year and playing younger guys. The team has kind of already done that this year, but there are a couple of spots they could take that further, like MJ, Sims, LaFell, Hill and Pac-Man should be getting much fewer snaps as the season goes on.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:15 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Is it even worth hoping for this season to turn around?  Even if it did, is this team really going to win a playoff game?  Would it be worth another one and done playoff appearance to chance being stuck with Marvin any longer?  Or would it simply be better to tank, and go something like 4-12 and finally cut bait with this incompetent, on screen hand clapping, mouth open, no clue excuse for a head coach?

I don't think this team will have to intentionally tank to end up at 4-12. That's very possible to happen even if they try.
I can see this team beating the Colts and the Browns again, but outside of that, I'm not confident in any other game.
I think at best this team goes 7-9 with wins over the Colts, Browns, Ravens, Bears, and Titans.
And unless this team can magically make the playoffs, I don't see any justifiable way to sign Marvin Lewis to an extension as HC.
And unless this organization invests hard in 2+ starters on OL in the offseason, there will be no chance for this core of players to ever win a playoff game, as their window is closing by no later than 2020.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote