Poll: Does Brandon Tate get Too Much Hate?
Yes
No
Maybe so
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tate Hate
I don't "hate" Tate. 

However, who doesn't nervously laugh when this guy runs east-west instead of north-south?

It's like he has lead shoes on.

Like other posters have said, when there is a gap and he is running downhill... he's fine.

The guy just doesn't make plays like Adam Jones does.

As long as he's not fumbling or hurting the team with returns he is serviceable.

I'd rather have him than Gio returning them.  That's for sure. 

What's comical about the whole topic is whenever someone else is given a chance they usually fumble or something else happens.

I recall Peerman returning some and every time he had a good one there was holding or some other costly penalty.

It's almost like we're destined to have him there.  LOL
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2015, 07:05 PM)type_stripe Wrote: Does the league really keep track of how deep in the end zone a return begins? I thought return yards start from the goal line unless your return isn't from the end zone.

Don't know if the leagues keeps track of that or not. Last year there was no need for an NFL log of plays, all you had to do is see it your eyes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
100% too much.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 10:36 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Don't know if the leagues keeps track of that or not. Last year there was no need for an NFL log of plays, all you had to do is see it your eyes.

so it doesn't bump up his averages like you're saying? and I know it gets annoying especially if they begin that deep in the end zone, but since the rule change a lot of returners have been returning kicks from the end zone. we have a good returner, could be upgraded won't disagree there, but it is what it is.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 01:41 PM)type_stripe Wrote: so it doesn't bump up his averages like you're saying? and I know it gets annoying especially if they begin that deep in the end zone, but since the rule change a lot of returners have been returning kicks from the end zone. we have a good returner, could be upgraded won't disagree there, but it is what it is.

Yes, it does bump up his average. They count the return yardage from where he fields the kick. Eight yards in the end zone returned to the 15 counts as a 23 yard return.

Look at 3 of his KO returns today where he didn't make it to the 15. Today's game proved what I was saying to the letter.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 05:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yes, it does bump up his average. They count the return yardage from where he fields the kick. Eight yards in the end zone returned to the 15 counts as a 23 yard return.

Look at 3 of his KO returns today where he didn't make it to the 15. Today's game proved what I was saying to the letter.

Returners are coached to do it, not just on the Bengals either.  When the placement of the kickoff changed, the rules changed to how quickly the ball gets to you at the back of the endzone, not if it gets to the back of the endzone.

And people always forget about the rest of his ST plays.  Keeping the ball out of the endzone for Dennard to down it on the one yard line today, for example.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 06:22 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: And people always forget about the rest of his ST plays.  Keeping the ball out of the endzone for Dennard to down it on the one yard line today, for example.

I expect the Tate hate to increase after today, but yes, that was special on that play!
[Image: d1id.png]
Reply/Quote
Tate had a bad week against the Seachickens, I'll concede. The whole point that I was trying to get at was that Tate is a really good returner to have on your team when you have a lead, and that he's an above average backup wr. The talk of him not earning his roster spot always struck me as odd and misinformed. This week it seemed like he was trying to make plays that simply weren't there. I expect to see him make better decisions for the rest of the season.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 06:22 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: And people always forget about the rest of his ST plays.  Keeping the ball out of the endzone for Dennard to down it on the one yard line today, for example.

Probably because it wasn't that spectacular of a play, but his three returns from the endzone where he only got the ball to between the 10 and 20 absolutely killed us.

It's like I said earlier in this thread, his few good plays aren't nearly as game-changing as his bad plays are.
Reply/Quote
I don't care about what Tate brings tothis team. I'm ready to move on from him as returner. Cut Tate and make Alford the primary returner on both kicks and punts. Can even run a few trick plays on offense with him from time to time, but his primary role would be as returner.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 07:13 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't care about what Tate brings tothis team. I'm ready to move on from him as returner. Cut Tate and make Alford the primary returner on both kicks and punts. Can even run a few trick plays on offense with him from time to time, but his primary role would be as returner.
Even though he has proven in training camp and the preseason to not be as good as Tate in those departments?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 07:26 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Even though he has proven in training camp and the preseason to not be as good as Tate in those departments?

He didn't really get a chance in preseason.  Tate got most of the returns.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2015, 10:39 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: well guess you don;t know what is meant by a "good" returner.... i would educate you but i don;t feel like it right now.. maybe next time...  Yawn

As evidenced by his idiotic decisions today. lol
Reply/Quote
Tate reminds me of my boss. Just when you think he's totally useless he comes thru. Doubt Brandon can hold on as long as my boss has though.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 07:34 PM)McC Wrote: He didn't really get a chance in preseason.  Tate got most of the returns.

And Alford is still a 7th round rookie...how the hell do you expect anyone to challenge when you never get anyone or give them time when you do
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 08:15 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And Alford is still a 7th round rookie...how the hell do you expect anyone to challenge when you never get anyone or give them time when you do

And Gio is a 2nd rounder.

He had the opportunity to beat him out of the return job and didn't.  Nor could Alford, or Sanzenbacher, etc.  The only guy who keeps outperforming him is Jones who is in a more important position, and therefore can really only go back there situationally.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 08:15 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And Alford is still a 7th round rookie...how the hell do you expect anyone to challenge when you never get anyone or give them time when you do

Exactly.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
We'll have to endure more Tate returns until this team decides to bring in legit competition.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Dude was on a mission to give us bad field position today.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 09:48 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Dude was on a mission to give us bad field position today.

Agreed. Even ran through Peerman's call to take a knee.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote