Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Taylor & Callahan Are Figuring It Out!
(10-18-2022, 04:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It was after the second game. Unfortunately Zac was trying to appease Joe’ s wishes. You read what Mixon said. The offense led by Joe was to big play focused, Joe wasn’t ready to buy in

To be fair, Joe is in his third year, and it takes a lot of discipline/maturing to completely change your approach as a QB. 

It's hard to develop the patience and skill to dink/dunk your way down the field facing a cover 2 defense. It's why Brady was so good. He mastered the art of throwing underneath and being patient and taking what the defense gave him.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jonah is banged up and Volson is a rookie, but the rest of the OL played great against the Saints, especially Cappa and 
Collins. The scheme the coaches went to using, a lot of Slants and short routes and attacking the edge with Burrow getting
the ball out fast was exactly what needed to happen to help out the OL and get Burrow on track.

Gives me a lot of hope for this Offense cause if we can attack underneath and run the ball in the Gap scheme we are now
using it will open up the deep pass even more and our WR's aren't going to continue dropping the deep balls either.

My only problem right now with the Offense is Mixon's blitz pickup honestly. I wouldn't have him out there as much, more
Perine and see if Evans can pickup the blitz a bit. At least give Evans some snaps.

The o line did play well but I wasn't happy because it seemed like they were still getting pushed back into Burrow and he wouldn't have had time on longer drops. I could be wrong on that but that's why I was happy with the slants, screens, short drop backs and I agree that that's what they need to help them get back on track.

On this video, on the first play, it cuts away for a second but you can clearly see that Mixon missed a block and got Burrow sacked. 

Also, I know our line is bad, but why don't we ever run it with Mixon straight off tackle or even on the guard's outside shoulder (not from shotgun) on second or third and one?

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 04:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: To be fair, Joe is in his third year, and it takes a lot of discipline/maturing to completely change your approach as a QB. 

It's hard to develop the patience and skill to dink/dunk your way down the field facing a cover 2 defense. It's why Brady was so good. He mastered the art of throwing underneath and being patient and taking what the defense gave him.

Right... I hope this is the start of QB9 being able to adjust his game and take himself and team to another level.

I just hope this Saints game wasn't a fluke and revert to what doesn't work.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 04:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: To be fair, Joe is in his third year, and it takes a lot of discipline/maturing to completely change your approach as a QB. 

Definitely a huge maturation. Let’s face it Zac has said as a former QB he’s very cognizant that the QB needs a ton of input on the offense and during the game. He’s given Joe an unprecedented foot print on the offense. The problem is it’s not sustainable running that kinda spread in the NFL. Like has been said they’ve been running 2 offenses. But frankly it was also the blocking scheme not fitting the OL and Mixon. The running game was not going to enable any offense. But make no mistake as Mixon said it took Joe to realize this is what we’ve got to do and buy in.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Jake Liscow:
Just setting up to chart the offense this week and noticed that the Bengals first drive of the second half had 0 third downs.

They converted first downs/touchdowns on:
1st down 4 times
2nd down 2 times,
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
So what we're saying here is Zac was winning in spite of Burrow?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think all the talk of Burrow's/the offense's slow start is is interesting, and some criticism on everyone is warranted. After getting zero snaps together in pre-season, we looked terrible vs Pittsburgh. Burrow's surgery hurt, and he was awful vs Pitt. But Harris' injury, Sample's boneheaded blocking decision on the PAT, and Chase dropping a TD also hurt. And the offensive line was TERRIBLE the first two games. Mixon has been poor to terrible all year. Higgins hampered by his ankle. And Burrow has forced it deep at times, iverlooking Hurst and Boyd too often. And the playcalling has been unimaginative, predictable via frlornation & personnel, vanilla, and at times, boneheaded (kick or go, run or pass, etc).

But still, Burrow has the highest 3rd down passer rating in the league. And Chase the most 3rd down receptions.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/10/18/joe-burrow-jamarr-chase-dominate-third-down-stats/
Reply/Quote
If Mixon averages running the ball 14 per game from here on out,that would be fine with me.Also,they need to give some of his targets to Hurst.I think Hurst and Burrow are building chemistry,and Hurst is probably playing right now,as well as he ever has.
Reply/Quote
The ran shotgun all but 2 plays. That doesn't lead to telegraphing plays as much.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 06:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So what we're saying here is Zac was winning in spite of Burrow?

No we are saying that teams this year against the Bengals and other teams are using the Cover 2 with the safeties taking deeper drops. The Bengals passing offense was first at 8.7 yards per play last year. . It lived by the big pass play. Joe likes that offense. He takes longer to get rid of the ball waiting for the big play. He’s great at it. It’s his modus operandi. What worked at a high level was neutered this season.

But as Mixon said Joe now has adapted. He realizes they are going to have to throw short passes and run the ball to move the safeties up. Zac Taylor has been west coast offense centric forever and now that Joe’s bought in I expect the offense to be much improved going forward. But the running game changing their blocking scheme helped a ton. If Taylor had played those guys in preseason they may have done it sooner. That’s on him.

Reply/Quote
I see Cover 2 a lot. Teams use it against Denver and shut them down.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 06:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No we are saying that teams this year against the Bengals and other teams are using the Cover 2 with the safeties taking deeper drops. The Bengals passing offense was first at 8.7 yards per play last year. . It lived by the big pass play. Joe likes that offense. He takes longer to get rid of the ball waiting for the big play. He’s great at it. It’s his modus operandi. What worked at a high level was neutered this season.

But as Mixon said Joe now has adapted. He realizes they are going to have to throw short passes and run the ball to move the safeties up. Zac Taylor has been west coast offense centric forever and now that Joe’s bought in I expect the offense to be much improved going forward. But the running game changing their blocking scheme helped a ton. If Taylor had played those guys in preseason they may have done it sooner. That’s on him.

Because everyone knows teams play their starting D and reveal their schemes in the preseason.

WTS, I too wish JB woulda have gotten on the field in PS for a few snaps, but I doubt anyone would give anything away. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 07:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because everyone knows teams play their starting D and reveal their schemes in the preseason.

WTS, I too wish JB woulda have gotten on the field in PS for a few snaps, but I doubt anyone would give anything away. 

I was talking about the blocking scheme and seen what suited the OL best. Nothing to do with cover 2.

Reply/Quote
Here you go:
https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2022/10/3/23385369/nfl-offensive-decline-superstar-quarterbacks-run-game

Reply/Quote
The line has done its job since the second game. Against the Saints, the back to back sacks were both on left side overload blitzes. On one of them Mixon missed his pickup and a sack ensued. On the other the left side got trucked but I do wonder why when they shifted to overload before the snap we did not roll Burrow right immediately.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 09:29 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Our line is bad but it seems like our coaches are finally figuring out that a bad line means that the quarterback needs to release the ball quick because Burrow was 21 of 24 for 201 yards in passes thrown within 10 yards.

We only ran the ball 14 times which is because the Saints were loading the box and forcing us to throw, which I love that our coaches recognized it and adjusted accordingly, but I do think that we shouldn’t give up on the run completely and run as little as we did.

Let’s hope our coaches stay this smart because we’ll be a tough team to beat if we adjust properly like we did against the Saints!

I also think Burrow is figuring it out, holding on to the ball less, moving a bit more out of pocket, and seemed his audibles were more successful... it is a team game of both coaches and players adjusting to be successful in the Nfl but also don;t over think it both coaches and players.
Reply/Quote
You guys should beat Atlanta.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 02:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've been preaching all along that Joe needs to be under center more and we need to feed the ball to Mixon with a head of steam because that's where he works best from and the shorter passing game 

Hate to bust your bubble, but this is from many scouting reports about Joe Mixon, and you've seen him running good the last couple of games from the Shotgun. And apparently it's what he does best in the NFL as well. So use him correctly and good things can happen.
  • Ran almost exclusively out of the shotgun in college.
All of you metrics/analytics guys, anyway to find out how much better/worse Mixon is when lined up under center vs Shotgun?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 03:38 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I think the most annoying part about all of this is..... the fans called for this change of approach by the end of game 1.

Why it takes a 2-3 start to implement the correct read/offense is beyond me.

Coaches aren't going to start making drastic changes after the first football game of the year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 10:01 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: But improving a good bit. And I feel they're (coaches/Burrow) starting to get it figured out. I believe we're going to see a different team moving forward.

These last 3 games in pass protections is easily the best stretch Burrow has had his career here. It’s not the best line ever, but it’s his best line he’s had easily.
Reply/Quote