Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Taylor & Callahan Are Figuring It Out!
(10-18-2022, 03:38 PM)QueenCity Wrote: I think the most annoying part about all of this is..... the fans called for this change of approach by the end of game 1.

Why it takes a 2-3 start to implement the correct read/offense is beyond me.

Well, Mixon answered it.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jonah is banged up and Volson is a rookie, but the rest of the OL played great against the Saints, especially Cappa and 
Collins. The scheme the coaches went to using, a lot of Slants and short routes and attacking the edge with Burrow getting
the ball out fast was exactly what needed to happen to help out the OL and get Burrow on track.

Gives me a lot of hope for this Offense cause if we can attack underneath and run the ball in the Gap scheme we are now
using it will open up the deep pass even more and our WR's aren't going to continue dropping the deep balls either.

My only problem right now with the Offense is Mixon's blitz pickup honestly. I wouldn't have him out there as much, more
Perine and see if Evans can pickup the blitz a bit. At least give Evans some snaps.

Apparently, the coaches wanted to run that scheme for a while now.....Burrow just had to adjust.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 04:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: To be fair, Joe is in his third year, and it takes a lot of discipline/maturing to completely change your approach as a QB. 

It's hard to develop the patience and skill to dink/dunk your way down the field facing a cover 2 defense. It's why Brady was so good. He mastered the art of throwing underneath and being patient and taking what the defense gave him.

Exactly.....but that's what a few of us were saying while the rest of the board was crucifying Zac.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 07:13 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Exactly.....but that's what a few of us were saying while the rest of the board was crucifying Zac.

The poor start the first 2 years doomed Taylor with some. His youth and inexperience. He’d not been a coordinator and didn’t have much reputation like some young coaches. The fact the fan base didn’t have much faith in the Brown’s didn’t help either.

Then when he was successful for some thought it was all Chase and Joe. Joe has done fabulous but Zac protects him by never pointing out his mistakes. He goes to lengths to protect him.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 06:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No we are saying that teams this year against the Bengals and other teams are using the Cover 2 with the safeties taking deeper drops. The Bengals passing offense was first at 8.7 yards per play last year. . It lived by the big pass play. Joe likes that offense. He takes longer to get rid of the ball waiting for the big play. He’s great at it. It’s his modus operandi. What worked at a high level was neutered this season.

But as Mixon said Joe now has adapted. He realizes they are going to have to throw short passes and run the ball to move the safeties up. Zac Taylor has been west coast offense centric forever and now that Joe’s bought in I expect the offense to be much improved going forward. But the running game changing their blocking scheme helped a ton. If Taylor had played those guys in preseason they may have done it sooner. That’s on him.

Right on the money. This is one hundred percent on the coaches. Seems they wanted to plug square pegs in round holes when it came to the run game. Seems they adjusted though, and they absolutely should have let the offensive line play together some in the preseason.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 07:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I also think Burrow is figuring it out, holding on to the ball less, moving a bit more out of pocket, and seemed his audibles were more successful... it is a team game of both coaches and players adjusting to be successful in the Nfl but also don;t over think it both coaches and players.

Yeah, Zac DEFINITELY over thought it in Baltimore. 

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 09:08 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The poor start the first 2 years doomed Taylor with some. His youth and inexperience. He’d not been a coordinator and didn’t have much reputation like some young coaches. The fact the fan base didn’t have much faith in the Brown’s didn’t help either.

Then when he was successful for some thought it was all Chase and Joe. Joe has done fabulous but Zac protects him by never pointing out his mistakes. He goes to lengths to protect him.

I agree. I didn't know what to make of him in year one. It was a dumpster fire. In year two, I saw some glimpses, but someone would miss a block and the play would get blown up. Tyler Boyd was our only established WR because AJ was not good, but Tee looked like the real deal, just needed to get his feet wet. The offensive line was atrocious.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 06:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No we are saying that teams this year against the Bengals and other teams are using the Cover 2 with the safeties taking deeper drops. The Bengals passing offense was first at 8.7 yards per play last year. . It lived by the big pass play. Joe likes that offense. He takes longer to get rid of the ball waiting for the big play. He’s great at it. It’s his modus operandi. What worked at a high level was neutered this season.

But as Mixon said Joe now has adapted. He realizes they are going to have to throw short passes and run the ball to move the safeties up. Zac Taylor has been west coast offense centric forever and now that Joe’s bought in I expect the offense to be much improved going forward. But the running game changing their blocking scheme helped a ton. If Taylor had played those guys in preseason they may have done it sooner. That’s on him.

And that's looking at it with the benefit of hindsight. If Taylor had played the O-line and Burrow during the pre-season, and Joe and/or even one of our new linemen had gotten a season ending injury, he would have been crucified for playing them in meaningless games. I can hear it now, as we trot out one of last year's linemen.... "These aren't rookies, they know how to play their positions and Taylor sucks for even having them out there, they never should have been on the field in a meaningless game." Our coaches will never win with some of the fans.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 09:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And that's looking at it with the benefit of hindsight. If Taylor had played the O-line and Burrow during the pre-season, and Joe and/or even one of our new linemen had gotten a season ending injury, he would have been crucified for playing them in meaningless games. I can hear it now, as we trot out one of last year's linemen.... "These aren't rookies, they know how to play their positions and Taylor sucks for even having them out there, they never should have been on the field in a meaningless game." Our coaches will never win with some of the fans.

With Burrow coming off that surgery, I wouldn't have played him, but I do think the line could've gotten some reps in to improve communication and getting the feel for what their mates do.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 09:53 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: With Burrow coming off that surgery, I wouldn't have played him, but I do think the line could've gotten some reps in to improve communication and getting the feel for what their mates do.

For sure
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 09:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: With Burrow coming off that surgery, I wouldn't have played him, but I do think the line could've gotten some reps in to improve communication and getting the feel for what their mates do.

And I don't disagree with that. All I'm saying is if he did that and one of them got injured, he would be getting blasted for that too....
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 10:15 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And I don't disagree with that. All I'm saying is if he did that and one of them got injured, he would be getting blasted for that too....

Yep, lots of arm chair QB's here. NONE/NOTTA/ZILCH of us knows exactly what's going on behind the walls of the Bengals organization. So easy after the fact to say this/this.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 10:27 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Yep, lots of arm chair QB's here. NONE/NOTTA/ZILCH of us knows exactly what's going on behind the walls of the Bengals organization. So easy after the fact to say this/this.

Bingo!  
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 10:27 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Yep, lots of arm chair QB's here. NONE/NOTTA/ZILCH of us knows exactly what's going on behind the walls of the Bengals organization. So easy after the fact to say this/this.

This isn’t directed at you personally, just using your post as an example

I never understood the mindset of being on a message board and telling ppl what they can and can’t discuss as long as it follows the rules.

I always ask this…..if the topic was so trash why not just sit it out?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 11:04 AM)Housh Wrote: This isn’t directed at you personally, just using your post as an example

I never understood the mindset of being on a message board and telling ppl what they can and can’t discuss as long as it follows the rules.

I always ask this…..if the topic was so trash why not just sit it out?

Can or can’t discuss or disagree with?

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2022, 06:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I see Cover 2 a lot. Teams use it against Denver and shut them down.

It's being used all over the league. IMO it's one reason why scoring has been way down. 

It's so interesting to me because I can see the NFL reverting back to a running league in the not to distant future. With teams playing more cover two with more athletic smaller linebackers and DBs, teams will start running the ball to try and take advantage. The NFL is so damn cyclical it's crazy.  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's being used all over the league. IMO it's one reason why scoring has been way down. 

It's so interesting to me because I can see the NFL reverting back to a running league in the not to distant future. With teams playing more cover two with more athletic smaller linebackers and DBs, teams will start running the ball to try and take advantage. The NFL is so damn cyclical it's crazy.  

Yep, with the entire league moving to smaller faster cover linebackers, the next greatest thing to come along in coaches will be the guy who drafts the next A-Train and just runs it down everyone's throats.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 01:15 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, with the entire league moving to smaller faster cover linebackers, the next greatest thing to come along in coaches will be the guy who drafts the next A-Train and just runs it down everyone's throats.

Mentioned this in another thread but it's already true.

4 teams that were not suppose to be good that are over achieving due to running the ball... there's a few more IMO that can also make this list.

Giants
Tennessee
Jets
Falcons

Only 11 teams out of 32 have 2 or fewer wins. I'm not going back to look at previous seasons but parity seems to be at an all time high
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Teams have structured their defenses to stop the top QB’s with big play capability. Not a surprise the running teams are giving defenses trouble. SF has had success this way. You’d better have a very good pass defense to compliment a running attack. Tampa, Bengals, Rams, Ravens,GB all 3-3.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 07:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Apparently, the coaches wanted to run that scheme for a while now.....Burrow just had to adjust.

Really...

Didn't know that, cool. Well, he made the adjustment and it clearly worked and that is all that matters. Mellow
Reply/Quote