Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor Expects Starting RT and C back Sunday
(12-09-2021, 01:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I highly doubt we get him to sign another 1 year deal. He's proven his worth for a three year deal.

He has not done anything this year that he did not do last year.

So if he signed a one year deal last year he might this year also.

3 years is a little long for a 33 year old player.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 12:15 PM)Tomcat Wrote: Okay, so we have a solid experienced RT, lets not make another potential bad decision and not sign him! 

(12-09-2021, 01:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I highly doubt we get him to sign another 1 year deal. He's proven his worth for a three year deal. Now, there is no reason that deal can't be structured in such a way that year 3 is mostly incentive laden so if he continues to perform he gets paid, but if he slides off we can let him go.

You know what? Going off of the above article and seeing Sled's post, Whitworth's cap number goes up precipitously next year; I don't know the dead money figures, but! Could it be conceivable that he comes back here on a 2 year deal, if he gets cut by the Rams?

That way, we could still kick the can a bit until we draft our future RT and we know we'll have the right side locked down.

No guarantees of course (and a bit of a pipe dream), but it's conceivable!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has not done anything this year that he did not do last year.

So if he signed a one year deal last year he might this year also.

3 years is a little long for a 33 year old player.

A great deal of players signed one year deals last year because they knew the cap was going up this year and they could get better contracts. If we don't offer him a multi year deal, someone else will. Again, it's all about structure, if year 3 is incentive laden, it's not a risk and it's a win win.
Reply/Quote
Just about vital they both play Sunday if we want to win.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 11:04 PM)kevin Wrote: Good News to hear from the Head Coach that Reiff and Hopkins will probably play Sunday.  Plus Burrow says he is playing.

I saw one thing Sunday. They better keep Reiff next year even if they have to use Franchise Tag.  Without the Bookend Tackles of Williams and Reiff, Burrow got hit more.  They can't go on a hope and a prayer that they sign or draft someone as good as Reiff.  However I'm for drafting more Blockers as the O Line needs more Depth if nothing else.  

Good to hear that all starters on The O Line will be back.  Having 2 of the 5 starters out against Chargers is a good way to get your franchise QB injured again.

Yes, good news. If these guys couldn't go I would be picking the Niners to win. The only reason I picked us to beat the 
Chargers was cause I thought these guys would play. We had no chance early with Hill and Prince starting. Nothing against
them but they are not starter material yet at all.

Hill is a rookie, needs to cut down on the penalties and Prince is just a backup.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 11:33 AM)Tomcat Wrote: Andrew Whitworth says Hi...Sign the guy for 2-3 years at 7-8 million and concentrate on LB, CB and IOL in FA and the draft!

Andrew Whitworth is the definition of the Exception in this case lol
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 02:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Andrew Whitworth is the definition of the Exception in this case lol

I agree, but i would rather have a known product in Rieff for the next few years instead of looking for someone else to man RT. Having the same people working together on the line is a good thing instead of constant change!
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 02:52 PM)Tomcat Wrote: I agree, but i would rather have a known product in Rieff for the next few years instead of looking for someone else to man RT. Having the same people working together on the line is a good thing instead of constant change!

which is why we should look for a long term solution over the stop gap
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 03:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: which is why we should look for a long term solution over the stop gap

A 3 year deal is not a stop gap.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 03:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A 3 year deal is not a stop gap.

no but reiff is
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 09:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No more than a two year deal for a guy his age.

Possibly even another 1 year contract.

That line of thinking cost us whit and set our line back years. Sure, at that point we had drafted his planned replacement, but... Well... Hindsight. It was a bad move. Given how long it takes before tackles get to their plateau, we shouldn't let a decent one walk until we're sure somebody can play at that level.

And just for comparison, Reiff is six years younger than whit.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 04:08 PM)Benton Wrote: That line of thinking cost us whit and set our line back years. Sure, at that point we had drafted his planned replacement, but... Well... Hindsight. It was a bad move. Given how long it takes before tackles get to their plateau, we shouldn't let a decent one walk until we're sure somebody can play at that level.

Whit is the rare exception
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 04:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: no but reiff is

We don't know that. He could play for 6 more years for all we know at a high level.

(12-10-2021, 04:08 PM)Benton Wrote: That line of thinking cost us whit and set our line back years. Sure, at that point we had drafted his planned replacement, but... Well... Hindsight. It was a bad move. Given how long it takes before tackles get to their plateau, we shouldn't let a decent one walk until we're sure somebody can play at that level.

I agree with Benton obviously.

(12-10-2021, 04:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Whit is the rare exception

Whit is rare, but Reiff being 6 years younger than Whit makes it possible that he wouldn't fall off for at least a few more years.
Reply/Quote
neither player has an injury designation today so they are good to go on Sunday

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 02:16 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Just about vital they both play Sunday if we want to win.

It is doubly vital to upgrade the backup players on the offensive line. What happened last week with Trey Hopkins and Riley Reiff out bordered on gross incompetence. Joe Mixon and Joe Burrow deserve better.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 02:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: You know what? Going off of the above article and seeing Sled's post, Whitworth's cap number goes up precipitously next year; I don't know the dead money figures, but! Could it be conceivable that he comes back here on a 2 year deal, if he gets cut by the Rams?

That way, we could still kick the can a bit until we draft our future RT and we know we'll have the right side locked down.

No guarantees of course (and a bit of a pipe dream), but it's conceivable!

I get a willy just thinking about Whittworth coming back and retiring a Bengal as he leads us the the Super Bowl
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

I agree with this completely. I'd love for all of our good players to retire Bengals but it is a fine line keeping a player as they age. The Whitworth move made sense on paper but worked out horribly. We need to keep building the line but we need to keep the good players we have like Reiff until hopefully a player takes that spot from him.
Reply/Quote
On a side note on Whitworth. I remember many game weeks reading the matchup of the games and many times it would mention the edge rusher and all of they're season accolades. Then come sunday I wouldn't even hear that guys name as Whitworth would just completely handle his business. I miss those days. Whitworth coming to the sidelines and flipping his helmet off in the 09 Steelers game after the drive with the Leonard Leep is one of my top games/memories of the Bengals. I don't think we'll see him play for us but I would like to see him retire a Bengal.
Reply/Quote