Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Taylor Lewan...seems to want to join the Bengals
(03-04-2023, 04:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He certainly is interested in playing here and I don't blame him. His contract would have to be a 1 year prove it deal though that 
takes into account his recent injury history. Wouldn't be against this, but still would like a trade for Bolles more.

At this point I think he is doing anything he can to land a home. He may be out of the league shortly just due to health concerns. Talking up a team that is a SB contender and struggling to find a good tackle is a smart move on his part. 1 year prove it deal is all I would give him. I however, would give him incentives for making it through the whole season healthy just out of fairness to him.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 10:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: At this point I think he is doing anything he can to land a home. He may be out of the league shortly just due to health concerns. Talking up a team that is a SB contender and struggling to find a good tackle is a smart move on his part. 1 year prove it deal is all I would give him. I however, would give him incentives for making it through the whole season healthy just out of fairness to him.

Need to make it incentives with making it through the season and level of play as well because we don't want a guy playing timid to avoid injury.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 10:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: At this point I think he is doing anything he can to land a home. He may be out of the league shortly just due to health concerns. Talking up a team that is a SB contender and struggling to find a good tackle is a smart move on his part. 1 year prove it deal is all I would give him. I however, would give him incentives for making it through the whole season healthy just out of fairness to him.

Feel the same, nice post Sled. It is a smart move by Lewan. That is the thing, he is smart which is a bonus to have around our OL room.

(03-07-2023, 02:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Need to make it incentives with making it through the season and level of play as well because we don't want a guy playing timid to avoid injury.

Yep, incentives for both sides to keep it fair.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same, nice post Sled. It is a smart move by Lewan. That is the thing, he is smart which is a bonus to have around our OL room.

Yep, incentives for both sides to keep it fair.

Yes, and I would be generous with the incentives, because if he plays like he did, he would be worth it. If not, then he's cheap.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 06:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes, and I would be generous with the incentives, because if he plays like he did, he would be worth it. If not, then he's cheap.

Same, I would move Jonah if we brought in Lewan as well. I still don't understand Pollack thinking Carman can move to RT. I know he
looks like the body type but it is still the right side of the line and he clearly struggles there. At least Jonah has played at RT and has
played well there in college. Same with Cordell for that matter.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 02:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same, I would move Jonah if we brought in Lewan as well. I still don't understand Pollack thinking Carman can move to RT. I know he
looks like the body type but it is still the right side of the line and he clearly struggles there. At least Jonah has played at RT and has
played well there in college. Same with Cordell for that matter.

Pollack is just a bad O-line coach. You cant keep moving Carman (or anyone else) all around then being surprised he isnt doing well when he hasnt had time to learn the position before Pollack sends him to another position he has to learn all over.

Keep him at LT where he showed some ability, where he was drafted out of college and let him continue to develope there. Dont keep moving him around then being surprised he doesnt work out when you keep moving him all over the place.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 03:57 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Pollack is just a bad O-line coach.  You cant keep moving Carman (or anyone else) all around then being surprised he isnt doing well when he hasnt had time to learn the position before Pollack sends him to another position he has to learn all over.  

Keep him at LT where he showed some ability, where he was drafted out of college and let him continue to develope there.  Dont keep moving him around then being surprised he doesnt work out when you keep moving him all over the place.

Perhaps "the call" to move players around is made by the OC, and Pollack is just doing as he's told?  I mean all of the coaches have to work with the talent that the team provides to them, and their job in this case is to put the best 5 on the field.  It's easy for us to say things like "how can you just put the guy who was a college Tackle at Guard, and expect him to succeed?", but we also have the benefit of hindsight and they had to try to get the 2nd round pick onto the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 03:57 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Pollack is just a bad O-line coach.  You cant keep moving Carman (or anyone else) all around then being surprised he isnt doing well when he hasnt had time to learn the position before Pollack sends him to another position he has to learn all over.  

Keep him at LT where he showed some ability, where he was drafted out of college and let him continue to develope there.  Dont keep moving him around then being surprised he doesnt work out when you keep moving him all over the place.

Must say, I have been surprised by some of his coaching. Last year running the wide zone scheme all with players that clearly fit a 
Gap scheme and now this with Carman. Like you said, he should stay at LT where he played well. Jonah can move as he has played 
RT before so why throw that out the window?

I loved Pollack when he first got here, he has done some good things, so I wouldn't say he is just a bad OL coach but these are a 
couple head scratchers that is for sure.

(03-08-2023, 04:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps "the call" to move players around is made by the OC, and Pollack is just doing as he's told?  I mean all of the coaches have to work with the talent that the team provides to them, and their job in this case is to put the best 5 on the field.  It's easy for us to say things like "how can you just put the guy who was a college Tackle at Guard, and expect him to succeed?", but we also have the benefit of hindsight and they had to try to get the 2nd round pick onto the field.

This also could be true. Some OL just cannot play on both sides, Lewan is one, he said he would suck on the right side.

So if we got Lewan in here, he would play LT with Carman backing him up and Jonah would slide over to RT where he played before.

This makes sense to me, I don't know why it doesn't to whoever is making the call to not move Jonah.

It also could just be coach speak and we might see a Jonah move if we get a LT in FA.

Expecting someone like Eluemunor though which would be a good move, he plays RT so we wouldn't have to move anybody and it 
actually is good insurance in trying Carman at RT instead of just assuming he can play there.
Reply/Quote