Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor Mays released by Vikings
(06-16-2015, 02:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Imo, Mays isn't better than anyone we have on the roster. He's a one-trick pony as a LB due to his size and he's pretty awful as a safety.

Good ST player, but those aren't hard to find. I am curious on why Zim released him so early, considering he knew what he was getting.

Wasn't he the guy who flew around like a maniac and injured his own players?  Maybe Zim figures training camp is too much time for him to put the Vikings D on IR?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 02:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Signing Top dollar free agents to fill seats makes you the bucs.

That's odd, I could have sworn the AFC Championship game was played between the Patriots and the Colts...turns out it was the Bucs and the Bucs!  Ninja Ninja Ninja :heart: Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 03:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Wasn't he the guy who flew around like a maniac and injured his own players?  Maybe Zim figures training camp is too much time for him to put the Vikings D on IR?

That was Mays. He had a problem with blindly launching himself. I think he gave Burfict his first concussion if I'm not mistaken.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 02:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Imo, Mays isn't better than anyone we have on the roster. He's a one-trick pony as a LB due to his size and he's pretty awful as a safety.

Good ST player, but those aren't hard to find. I am curious on why Zim released him so early, considering he knew what he was getting.

Zimmer cutting him loose like this does make me worry a bit, there definitely has to be something behind that.

I think having a good STer, solid backup LB (compared to the other guys we have there), and emergency backup S all in 1 player isn't a bad deal.

I don't think Mays is amazing by any means, but I'd at least look into re-signing him if I were the Bengals. I've been hearing a lot of how great of a team this is from people and that cuts are going to be so, so hard to make because of all the oozing talent, so why not look at a guy that's a familiar face and 3 roles in 1 roster spot? I don't think I'd be too upset in letting go a different bottom of the roster guy for a reasonable quality utility vet.

I'd like to know why Zim cut him though.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 03:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's odd, I could have sworn the AFC Championship game was played between the Patriots and the Colts...turns out it was the Bucs and the Bucs!  Ninja Ninja Ninja :heart: Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja Ninja

Right?! I mean. it's not like the Patriots signed any big time free agents that helped them win a Super Bowl Mellow
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 03:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That was Mays. He had a problem with blindly launching himself. I think he gave Burfict his first concussion if I'm not mistaken.

I figured it was him, but I forgot he may have given Burfict his first concussion.  Yea, I would say his lack of football awesomeness plus his danger to himself and others may be a likely culprit, here.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 02:32 PM)djs7685 Wrote: The fact that this group is being touted as "big competition" shows how low expectations are for Bengals' LBs nowadays.

"Big competition" doesn't necessarily equate to all of the competitors being great. In this case, it's a lot of mediocre players for the back end. Mays would fit right in that category. He does add versatility with ST and some lackluster safety ability, but players like Flowers and Dimanche are (arguably) better LBs with good ST contributions. We don't really know yet what players like Porter and Roach offer (injuries and rookie respectively).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 02:55 PM)J24 Wrote: He is just as good as Lamur and he is a pretty good special teamer.

Well... Hell... Let's get rid of Lamur then too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 03:32 PM)jason Wrote: Well... Hell... Let's get rid of Lamur then too.

Both are pretty good in coverage for Lbers and in todays NFL that is important. On the other hand I don't think either should be full time starters.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 12:17 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Figured some would be interested in this. Our depth at S is weak, I wouldn't mind seeing him back to attempt to earn a roster spot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000497216/article/minnesota-vikings-release-taylor-mays?campaign=Facebook_atn_news

No thank you.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 03:41 PM)J24 Wrote: Both are pretty good in coverage for Lbers and in todays NFL that is important. On the other hand I don't think either should be full time starters.

.....but Mays has played a few more years in the league, he should have learned by now......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
As far as safety depth something to consider....

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr now2 minutes ago

For second straight week we see snaps with Leon Hall experimenting at safety. #TuckThatAway

Shaw has practiced there as well. Looks like we have depth as we can slide them to safety and play Jones, Kirk, and Dennard at Cb if we need to.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 01:33 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: That didn't last long...

Is it just me, or do a lot of former Bengals get cut fairly quickly from their current teams? (Zimmerman's Vikings no less). It makes me wonder if we are not "conditioned" (I.e. Kool-Aid) to think Bengal players are "better" than they really are. Nero playoff wins might support that notion.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 03:41 PM)J24 Wrote: Both are pretty good in coverage for Lbers and in todays NFL that is important. On the other hand I don't think either should be full time starters.

No, they're not good in coverage. They're both athletic and have potential as coverage linebackers, but weren't really good.

Although Lamur plays lights out against the Ravens for some reason.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 03:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: As far as safety depth something to consider....

Paul Dehner Jr. ‏@pauldehnerjr now2 minutes ago

For second straight week we see snaps with Leon Hall experimenting at safety. #TuckThatAway

Shaw has practiced there as well. Looks like we have depth as we can slide them to safety and play Jones, Kirk, and Dennard at Cb if we need to.

This has been talked about for a long time. It seems that the team is finally acting upon it as a way to keep Leon on the field, and possibly keep him for a few more years.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 04:14 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: No, they're not good in coverage. They're both athletic and have potential as coverage linebackers, but weren't really good.

Although Lamur plays lights out against the Ravens for some reason.

Lamur was hit or miss in coverage last season but Mays was pretty good in coverage in 13 when he played.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 12:17 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Figured some would be interested in this. Our depth at S is weak, I wouldn't mind seeing him back to attempt to earn a roster spot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000497216/article/minnesota-vikings-release-taylor-mays?campaign=Facebook_atn_news

WTF - that makes no sense.  Why sign then release him unless there was something going on behind the scenes?
Reply/Quote
I liked Mays and wouldn't be against resigning him. Surprised he didn't even make it to Vikings camp. Maybe he really is that bad. Either way I think we've moved on, and there just isn't a legit spot for him yet. Maybe mid season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Wow.  That's a quick trigger.   Never even made it to TC.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Meh. He never really had much of an impact when he was here.....probably the reason why he isn't here any longer. I'm not opposed to giving him a try and bringing him to camp, but I'd be really surprised if he made the team.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote