Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taylor Mays released by Vikings
(06-16-2015, 12:17 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Figured some would be interested in this. Our depth at S is weak, I wouldn't mind seeing him back to attempt to earn a roster spot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000497216/article/minnesota-vikings-release-taylor-mays?campaign=Facebook_atn_news

Our depth isn't really weak. 
Shawn Williams
Derron Smith
Josh Shaw and now Leon Hall. 

Unproven? yes.
Weak? Nah.

And Mays still sucks so...
Reply/Quote
Hey bfine32, this was your boy at one time...I'd like to hear your opinion.

If it was his previous injury, the medical team from Minnesota would have caught that before signing him...right?

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 10:32 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Our depth isn't really weak. 
Shawn Williams
Derron Smith

Unproven? yes.
Weak? Nah.

Our depth at S and LB isn't good no matter what you and the other orange kool-aide drinkers want to claim.

These no-names aren't the monster depth that people want to believe.

Mays, assuming no weird injury, is easily a better football player than just about every backup at both S and LB right now.

I will say I'm intrigued with the Hall @ S idea, but other than that, yes, our depth is weak. If Williams, Smith, and Shaw were on the Lions and you didn't know their names from following the team so closely, you'd have no problem calling them weak.

It happens all around the league, but it's funny how every team's fans seem to think their team has the best depth. I wonder why? Maybe it's because they're the only team that you actually follow their backup players? Nah, that can't be it.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 08:48 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Our depth at S and LB isn't good no matter what you and the other orange kool-aide drinkers want to claim.

Mays, assuming no weird injury, is easily a better football player than just about every backup at both S and LB right now.

I will say I'm intrigued with the Hall @ S idea, but other than that, yes, our depth is weak. If Williams, Smith, and Shaw were on the Lions and you didn't know their names from following the team so closely, you'd have no problem calling them weak.

It happens all around the league, but it's funny how every team's fans seem to think their team has the best depth. I wonder why? Maybe it's because they're the only team that you actually follow their backup players? Nah, that can't be it.

Mays was barely good enough to crack the roster even when we had glaring needs at safety. His niche was special teams, and that's when he managed to stay healthy. He was never good enough to play the actual safety position so we had to use him as a hybrid linebacker. Im trying to find a hard time justifying a roster spot for this dude at this point. Hes a training camp body at best. I think were better off without the dude.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 02:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If this weren't a former Bengal, this whole thread would be full of people saying:

NO
Nope
He can't even stick with the 90 man roster on a losing team
BUST
3 teams have traded or cut him, so he must be a locker room cancer

Not true at all.  There are certain guys that will always be loved around here.

Michael Bush will have to be retired 5 years before people here will stop clamoring for us to sign him.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 08:48 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Our depth at S and LB isn't good no matter what you and the other orange kool-aide drinkers want to claim.

I didn't say they were monster depth or even sure things. 
Mays is not a better football player, he may be a better athlete, but he's always been a pretty terrible football player. 

Shaw was a top 25 player before his incident and lost season. 
Derron Smith was considered the top S in this class by some.
Shawn Williams has flashed some ability when given time. 

To say we lack depth is wrong, we lack proven experience. But we have plenty of talent there. But I feel like this is turning out to be more about your apparent boner for Mays than anything to do with our current safeties
Reply/Quote
It will take an injury for him to come back. IMHO
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 12:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I didn't say they were monster depth or even sure things. 
Mays is not a better football player, he may be a better athlete, but he's always been a pretty terrible football player. 

Shaw was a top 25 player before his incident and lost season. 
Derron Smith was considered the top S in this class by some.
Shawn Williams has flashed some ability when given time. 

To say we lack depth is wrong, we lack proven experience. But we have plenty of talent there. But I feel like this is turning out to be more about your apparent boner for Mays than anything to do with our current safeties

x2, they are ballers, Mays is an athlete.
There's no point in bringing in Mays, we already have what we need.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 01:04 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: x2, they are ballers, Mays is an athlete.
There's no point in bringing in Mays, we already have what we need.

He had like 2 good games and a shitload of bad ones and everyone freaked out.
And those good games came mostly taking LB snaps not S snaps.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 12:58 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: To say we lack depth is wrong, we lack proven experience. But we have plenty of talent there. But I feel like this is turning out to be more about your apparent boner for Mays than anything to do with our current safeties

Then they should have no problem winning the camp battles right?

I dont think anyone is trying to hand him a roster spot. but competition is always good.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 01:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Then they should have no problem winning the camp battles right?

I dont think anyone is trying to hand him a roster spot.  but competition is always good.

Camp battles from Nelson and Iloka? No, because there is maybe 5 safeties at each spot in the NFL who could.

There's not plenty of competition with Keo, Shaw, Smith, Hall, Williams and Dargan? 
Reply/Quote
As I've said before, if our roster is so stacked with LB/S competition, why not bring in a guy that could potentially only take up 1 roster spot to cover 2+ roles?

Why are people so intensely against him being brought in for camp? As Xeno said, I don't think anyone here has said Mays is amazing and to hand him a spot. People ARE butthurt about him coming in to fight for a roster spot.

I think the anti-Mays boner is much stronger with some than anyone's pro-Mays boner at this point.
Reply/Quote
We're too stacked at the moment, IMO, but if someone goes down, call him.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 02:33 PM)djs7685 Wrote: As I've said before, if our roster is so stacked with LB/S competition, why not bring in a guy that could potentially only take up 1 roster spot to cover 2+ roles?

Why are people so intensely against him being brought in for camp? As Xeno said, I don't think anyone here has said Mays is amazing and to hand him a spot. People ARE butthurt about him coming in to fight for a roster spot.

I think the anti-Mays boner is much stronger with some than anyone's pro-Mays boner at this point.

No, it's just that you aren't talking about bringing in anyone good.
people are tired of trash heap players, like Mays, being brought in for anything.

If you were talking about bringing in a guy who was young and good at football but just didn't fit with his last team, people would say sure why not.
Mays isn't good at football. That is why people don't want him back in favor of guys who look to be better at football. 

His positions have been filled via the draft and Emmanuel Lamur (who is a lot better at his job than Mays was).
Shaw can play CB and S, was an excellent ST player.
Smith is a S who had a great reputation on ST. 
Dargan also was considered a plus ST player.
Hawk and Dawson were also brought in at LB, both will probably play WLB and SLB...where Mays would have played at LB.

So, with all of that, considering Mays was by all accounts a bust at S and his best play was on ST....why should he be brought in over one of these guys? Because you'd have to send one packing to bring him in. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2015, 10:32 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Our depth isn't really weak. 
Shawn Williams
Derron Smith

Unproven? yes.
Weak? Nah.

Not sure you can include Josh Shaw in the equation. If I am not mistaken the Bengals staff stated he was drafted to be and will be working as a CB.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 04:04 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure you can include Josh Shaw in the equation. If I am not mistaken the Bengals staff stated he was drafted to be and will be working as a CB.

He was rolling at FS with the second team defense. So....

From Hobson on Twitter:
@GeoffHobsonCin
Shaw working at safety with backup defense
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 02:33 PM)djs7685 Wrote: As I've said before, if our roster is so stacked with LB/S competition, why not bring in a guy that could potentially only take up 1 roster spot to cover 2+ roles?

Plus every team needs a hero

[Image: taylor-mays.jpg]

lol
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 01:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He had like 2 good games and a shitload of bad ones and everyone freaked out.
And those good games came mostly taking LB snaps not S snaps.

That's where i would use him. Competition at LB'er.

It is not like we are stacked at LB'er. Lamur has been worse than Mays IMO and i had high
hopes for Lamur. I like Flowers but Porter has been injured nearly his entire time here.

Depth is why i would look at Mays depending on the situation.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 04:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That's where i would use him. Competition at LB'er.

It is not like we are stacked at LB'er. Lamur has been worse than Mays IMO and i had high
hopes for Lamur. I like Flowers but Porter has been injured nearly his entire time here.

Depth is why i would look at Mays depending on the situation.

No he hasn't, this is what I mean but freaking out over Mays having 2 good games. 

Lamur is a better LB. By a lot. 
Flowers is a better LB.
Dawson is a better LB.
Hawk is a better LB. 
Vincent Rey is a better LB. 

all of the OLB on the roster are better than Mays.

If we didn't add Hawk and Dawson this would make sense. 
But we did. 
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2015, 05:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No he hasn't, this is what I mean but freaking out over Mays having 2 good games. 

Lamur is a better LB. By a lot. 
Flowers is a better LB.
Dawson is a better LB.
Hawk is a better LB. 
Vincent Rey is a better LB. 

all of the OLB on the roster are better than Mays.

If we didn't add Hawk and Dawson this would make sense. 
But we did. 

How am i freaking out RRL?

All i am saying is i would not be against bringin the guy in for depth in case someone gets injured.

You are freaking out much more than i am.
Reply/Quote